Fox Restoring Health To Our Fox

I'm starting this thread to track what I am doing to get this car back into good shape, and hopefully receive some advice and suggestions from those of you who have more experience than I with this platform.

The car is a 1990 GT convertible, AOD. It is truly a one owner vehicle, and was driven by a little old lady (my wife's aunt). She moved into a retirement community and can't drive anymore, so we bought it from her about a year or two ago. It sat for several years under a car cover, but exposed to the elements; so there were leaves, mud dobber nests, etc ... all over the engine bay.

Since we bought it, I've replaced the top, installed new carpet, rebuilt all 4 window channels, installed new window motors, gave it a tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, repaired vacuum lines, set timing, etc ...), replaced all the wheel bearings, brakes, tires, exhaust, and went through the A/C system. It's finally to the point now where it rides very nice, and is comfortable to drive.
IMG_0427.jpg

So the next place I am attacking is the motor. The goal is to restore the health for a factory fresh idle quality and throttle response. We're not looking to mod this car at all, and want to keep it as close to factory as possible.

The 1st issue is the cold start idle is horrible. It'll fluctuate, and almost stall upon initial startup. After it's warmed up, it seems to run ok; although I can tell it's running rich.

I started with jrichker's "Surging Idle Checklist" thread (great stuff BTW!) and pulled the codes. Then i used This Site to check the codes I found.

For the KOEO (key on engine off) test, I only received code 11 -- so great!
For the KOER (key on engine running) test, I received codes 21, 94, and 44.

21 = ECT out of range
94 & 44 are related to the secondary AIR pump (which I have bypassed with a smaller belt)

As for the 94 and 44, if I am going to permanently leave the AIR system inop, is there a way to fool the ECU into thinking it's working correctly and not trigger these codes?

As for the 21, I figured easy fix. A bad ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor would explain the poor cold start idle and the running rich condition. So I picked up a Motorcraft DY-1145 sensor and pigtail and replaced the sensor.

When I removed the old one, it was very obvious this needed replacing. Here is the old one next to the new one:
IMG_0426.jpg

All the gunk has me worried about the rest of the cooling system, so I will definitely put a coolant flush on my list of things to do. In going through this car, I'm finding lots of things where it's obvious my wife's aunt's mechanic was not a quality mechanic to say the least! I wouldn't be surprised if he used coolant stop-leak junk in this motor.

So I replaced the ECT, soldered the new pigtail on, disconnected the battery for 5 mins to clear the codes, then checked again.

KOEO still only showed code 11
KOER now shows 21, 94, 44, and 12

12 = Idle Speed Control motor or Air Bypass not controlling idle properly

So going off of jrichker's thread, I decided to try cleaning the 10 pin connectors. Although it appears there are some sort of extension cables attached to them.
IMG_0429.jpg

These connectors are so brittle, I'm afraid I will snap the locking tabs while trying to disconnect them. Should I retain these 2 extension harnesses, or remove them, clean the connections, and just put the connections back without the extensions? I assume Ford probably had a TSB or something which called for this, I just can't figure out why they would do it?

I haven't removed the IAC yet to check it out, mainly because I don't have a replacement gasket for it yet, and figured I would try cleaning the 10 pin connectors 1st.

Ok, that's for now. Any advice would be appreciated, and I'll continue to update as I dig into it.

• Sponsors (?)

Nice working on bringing that back to life. Keep the extension harness on the S&P shakers, as you are correct Ford did issue a TSB for that. The original harness is too short creating too much tension on the connectors. Yes be careful when you work on them. You can use a small pick to work the pins and holes. I would also pack them with dielectric grease.

Check the inside of the airbox in the fenderwell. I bet the silencer is still there. Man, I remember when I bought mine in 2012. It looked just like that- bone stock.

Thanks for the feedback.

I got the S&P connectors apart, and cleaned them up with electronics cleaner. The wire harness seems to have plenty of slack to reach without the extensions, so I left them off for now. Without them, there's no tension at all on the connectors.

I also cleaned the MAF, and cleaned the IAC motor and pintle valve out. Put everything back together, disconnected battery to clear codes, then tested.

I'm still getting 21, 94, 44, and 12. I'm surprised the new ECT and cleaning of the 10 pin connectors didn't resolve 21? Is it possible it's still in the ECU memory even after disconnecting the battery?

Also surprised 12 showed up after only replacing the ECT ... coincidence maybe?

Next I am going to go through the idle set procedure, reset the timing, and see if it helps.

I will say with the new ECT in place, the idle no longer jumps up and almost stalls on a cold start; so I know the new sensor is doing something. This is what makes me ask if the code can still be in memory even after disconnecting the battery.

This is very humbling to admit, as I've been working on cars for about 25 years; but I actually swapped the ACT sensor with the new ECT sensor! DOH! Luck would have it they're the same thread size, so it screwed right in.

I just cleaned up the old ACT sensor, resoldered the pigtail back on, and reinstalled it. Then I swapped the actual ECT sensor, cleared codes by disconnecting the battery, and checked again.

I'm still getting 21, 94, 44, and 12

I checked vacuum at the small vacuum manifold bolted to the firewall, and I have 16in/Hg at idle, so I don't think I have a vacuum leak.

Not sure where to go next ...

Code 12 -Idle Air Bypass motor not controlling idle properly (generally idle too low) - IAB dirty or not working. Clean the electrical contacts with non flammable brake parts cleaner at the same time.

IAC doesn't work: look for +12 volts at the IAC red wire. Then check for continuity between the white/lt blue wire and pin 21 on the computer. The IAC connector contacts will sometimes corrode and make the IAC not work. The red wire on the IAC is always hot with the engine in run mode. The computer provides a ground for the current for the IAC. It switches the ground on and off, making a square wave with a varying duty cycle. A normal square wave would be on for 50% of the time and off for 50% of the time. When the idle speed is low, the duty cycle increases more than 50% to open the IAC more. When the engine speed is high, it decreases the duty cycle to less than 50% to close the IAC. An old-fashioned dwell meter can be used to check the change: I haven’t tried it personally, but it should work. In theory, it should read ½ scale of whatever range you set it on with a 50% duty cycle. An Oscilloscope is even better if you can find someone who has one and will help.

attachment.php

Recommended procedure for cleaning the IAC/IAB:
Conventional cleaning methods like throttle body cleaner aren’t very effective. The best method is a soak type cleaner used for carburetors. If you are into fixing motorcycles, jet skis, snowmobiles or anything else with a small carburetor, you probably have used the one gallon soak cleaners like Gunk or Berryman. One of the two should be available at your local auto parts store for $22-$29. Take the solenoid off the body and set it aside: the carb cleaner will damage some types of plastic parts. Soak the metal body in the carb cleaner overnight. There is a basket to set the parts in while they are soaking. When you finish soaking overnight, twist the stem of the IAB/IAC that sticks out while the blocker valve is seated. This removes any leftover deposits from the blocker valve seat. Rinse the part off with water and blow it dry with compressed air. The IAC/IAB should seal up nicely now. Once it has dried, try blowing through the bottom hole and it should block the air flow. Reassemble and reinstall to check it out.

Gunk Dip type carb & parts soaker:
21hb0QWbOeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Setting the base idle speed:
First of all, the idle needs to be adjusted to where the speed is at or below 600 RPM with the IAC disconnected. If you have a wild cam, you may have to raise this figure 100-150 RPM or so. Then the electrical signal through the IAC can vary the airflow through it under computer control. Remember that the IAC can only add air to increase the base idle speed set by the mechanical adjustment. The 600 RPM base idle speed is what you have after the mechanical adjustment. The IAC increases that speed by supplying more air under computer control to raise the RPM’s to 650-725 RPM’s. This figure will increase if you have a wild cam, and may end up between 800-950 RPM

Remember that changing the mechanical idle speed adjustment changes the TPS setting too.

This isn't the method Ford uses, but it does work. Do not attempt to set the idle speed until you have fixed all the codes and are sure that there are no vacuum leaks.

Disconnect the battery negative terminal and turn the headlights on. Leave the battery negative terminal disconnected for 5 minutes or so. Then turn the headlights off and reconnect the battery. This erases the computer settings that may affect idle performance.

Warm the engine up to operating temperature, place the transmission in neutral, and set the parking brake. Turn off lights, A/C, all unnecessary electrical loads. Disconnect the IAC electrical connector. Remove the SPOUT plug. This will lock the ignition timing so that the computer won't change the spark advance, which changes the idle speed. Note the engine RPM: use the mechanical adjustment screw under the throttle body to raise or lower the RPM until you get the 600 RPM mark +/- 25 RPM. A wild cam may make it necessary to increase the 600 RPM figure to 700 RPM or possibly a little more to get a stable idle speed.
Changing the mechanical adjustment changes the TPS, so you will need to set it.

When you are satisfied with the results, turn off the engine, and re-install the SPOUT and reconnect the IAC. The engine should idle with the range of 650-750 RPM without the A/C on or extra electrical loads. A wild cam may make this figure somewhat higher.

An engine that whose idle speed cannot be set at 600 RPM with the IAC and SPOUT disconnected has mechanical problems. Vacuum leaks are the #1 suspect in this case. A vacuum gauge will help pinpoint both vacuum leaks and improperly adjusted valves. A sticking valve or one adjusted too tight will cause low vacuum and a 5"-8" sweep every time the bad cylinder comes up on compression stroke. An extreme cam can make the 600 RPM set point difficult to set. Contact your cam supplier or manufacturer to get information on idle speed and quality

Code 21 – ECT sensor out of range. Broken or damaged wiring, bad ECT sensor.
Note that that if the outside air temp is below 50 degrees F that the test for the ECT can be in error. Warm the engine up until you get good hot air from the heater and then dump the codes again.

The ECT sensor has absolutely nothing to do with the temperature gauge. They are different animals. The ECT sensor is normally located it the passenger side front of the engine in the water feed tubes for the heater.

The ACT & ECT have the same thermistor, so the table values are the same

ACT & ECT test data:

Use Pin 46 on the computer for ground for both ECT & ACT to get most accurate readings.

Pin 7 on the computer - ECT signal in. At 176 degrees F it should be .80 volts

Pin 25 on the computer - ACT signal in. At 50 degrees F it should be 3.5 volts. It is a good number if the ACT is mounted in the inlet airbox. If it is mounted in the lower intake manifold, the voltage readings will be lower because of the heat transfer.

a9x-series-computer-connector-wire-side-view-gif.71316

Voltages may be measured across the ECT/ACT by probing the connector from the rear. A pair of safety pins may be helpful in doing this. Use care in doing it so that you don't damage the wiring or connector.

Here's the table :

50 degrees F = 3.52 v
68 degrees F = 3.02 v
86 degrees F = 2.62 v
104 degrees F = 2.16 v
122 degrees F = 1.72 v
140 degrees F = 1.35 v
158 degrees F = 1.04 v
176 degrees F = .80 v
194 degrees F = .61
212 degrees F = .47 v
230 degrees F = .36 v
248 degrees F = .28 v

Ohms measures at the computer with the computer disconnected, or at the sensor with the sensor disconnected.

50 degrees F = 58.75 K ohms
68 degrees F = 37.30 K ohms
86 degrees F = 27.27 K ohms
104 degrees F = 16.15 K ohms
122 degrees F = 10.97 K ohms
140 degrees F = 7.60 K ohms
158 degrees F = 5.37 K ohms
176 degrees F = 3.84 K ohms
194 degrees F = 2.80 K ohms
212 degrees F = 2.07 K ohms
230 degrees F = 1.55 K ohms
248 degrees F = 1.18 k ohms

Diagram courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds

88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds
(website host) for help on 88-95 wiring http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/

Ignition switch wiring
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/IgnitionSwitchWiring.gif

Fuel, alternator, A/C and ignition wiring
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif

Complete computer, actuator & sensor wiring diagram for 88-91 Mass Air Mustangs
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Vacuum diagram 89-93 Mustangs
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/mustangFoxFordVacuumDiagram.jpg

Codes 44 & 94 - AIR system inoperative - Air Injection. Check vacuum lines for leaks, & cracks. Check for a clogged air crossover tube, where one or both sides of the tube clog with carbon.

attachment.php

Revised 21 Sep 2012 to correct the description of the process that sets the code and include Thermactor Air System diagram.

If you have a catalytic converter H pipe, you need to fix these codes. If you don't, then don't worry about them.

Code 44 RH side air not functioning.
Code 94 LH side air not functioning.

The TAD solenoid/TAD diverter valve directs smog pump output to either the crossover tube attached to the cylinder heads or to the catalytic converters.

The O2 sensors are placed before the catalytic converters, so they do not see the extra O2 when the smog pump's output is directed to the converters or the input just before the converter.

The 44/94 code uses the O2 sensors to detect a shift in the O2 level in the exhaust. The smog pump provides extra air to the exhaust which raises the O2 level in the exhaust when the smog pump output is directed through the crossover tube.

When there is an absence of increase in the O2 levels when the TAD solenoid/TAD diverter valve directs air through the crossover tube, it detects the lower O2 level and sets the code.

Failure mode is usually due to a clogged air crossover tube, where one or both sides of the tube clog with carbon. The air crossover tube mounts on the back of the cylinder heads and supplies air to each of the Thermactor air passages cast into the cylinder heads. When the heads do not get the proper air delivery, they set codes 44 & 94, depending on which passage is clogged. It is possible to get both 44 & 94, which would suggest that the air pump or control valves are not working correctly, or the crossover tube is full of carbon or missing.

Testing the system:
Note that the engine must be running to do the tests unless stated otherwise. For safety’s sake, do test preparation like loosening clamps, disconnecting hoses and connecting things to a vacuum source with the engine off.

Disconnect the big hose from smog pump: with the engine running you should feel air output. Reconnect the smog pump hose & apply vacuum to the first vacuum controlled valve: Its purpose is to either dump the pump's output to the atmosphere or pass it to the next valve.

The next vacuum controlled valve directs the air to either the cylinder heads when the engine is cold or to the catalytic converter when the engine is warm. Disconnect the big hoses from the back side of the vacuum controlled valve and start the engine. Apply vacuum to the valve and see if the airflow changes from one hose to the next.

The two electrical controlled vacuum valves mounted on the rear of the passenger side wheel well turn the vacuum on & off under computer control. Check to see that both valves have +12 volts on the red wire. Then ground the white/red wire and the first solenoid should open and pass vacuum. Do the same thing to the light green/black wire on the second solenoid and it should open and pass vacuum.

Remember that the computer does not source power for any actuator or relay, but provides the ground necessary to complete the circuit. That means one side of the circuit will always be hot, and the other side will go to ground or below 1 volt as the computer switches on that circuit.

The following computer tests are done with the engine not running.
The computer provides the ground to complete the circuit to power the solenoid valve that turns the
vacuum on or off. The computer is located under the passenger side kick panel. Remove the kick panel & the cover over the computer wiring connector pins. Check Pin 38 Solenoid valve #1 that provides vacuum to the first Thermactor control valve for a switch from 12-14 volts to 1 volt or less. Do the same with pin 32 solenoid valve #2 that provides vacuum to the second Thermactor control valve. Turning the ignition to Run with the computer jumpered to self test mode will cause all the actuators to toggle on and off. If after doing this and you see no switching of the voltage on and off, you can start testing the wiring for shorts to ground and broken wiring. An Ohm check to ground with the computer connector disconnected & the solenoid valves disconnected should show open circuit between the pin 32 and ground and again on pin 38 and ground. In like manner, there should be less than 1 ohm between pin 32 and solenoid valve #2 and pin 38 & Solenoid valve #1.

The following computer tests are done with the engine running.
If after checking the resistance of the wiring & you are sure that there are no wiring faults, start looking at the solenoid valves. If you disconnect them, you can jumper power & ground to them to verify operation with the engine running. Power & ground supplied should turn on the vacuum flow, remove either one and the vacuum should stop flowing.

Typical resistance of the solenoid valves is in the range of 20-70 Ohms.

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host)

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/88-91eecPinout.gif

If you have a catalytic converter H pipe, you need to fix these codes. If you don't, then don't worry about them

Thermactor Air System
Some review of how it works...

[Revised 9-Aug-2014 to update functional description of the second set of O2 sensors in OBDII cars.

The Thermactor air pump (smog pump) supplies air to the heads or catalytic converters. This air helps break down the excess HC (hydrocarbons) and CO (carbon monoxide). The air supplied to the catalytic converters helps create the catalytic reaction that changes the HC & CO into CO2 and water vapor. Catalytic converters on 5.0 Mustangs are designed to use the extra air provided by the smog pump. Without the extra air, the catalytic converters will clog and fail.

The Thermactor air pump draws air from an inlet filter in the front of the pump. The smog pump puts air into the heads when the engine is cold and then into the catalytic converters when it is warm. The Thermactor control valves serve to direct the flow. The first valve, TAB (Thermactor Air Bypass) or AM1 valve) either dumps air to the atmosphere or passes it on to the second valve. The second valve, TAD (Thermactor Air Diverter valve or AM2 valve) directs it to the heads or the catalytic converters. Check valves located after the TAB & TAD solenoids prevent hot exhaust gases from damaging the control valves or pump in case of a backfire. The air serves to help consume any unburned hydrocarbons by supplying extra oxygen to the catalytic process. The computer tells the Thermactor Air System to open the Bypass valve at WOT (wide open throttle) minimizing engine drag. This dumps the pump's output to the atmosphere, and reduces the parasitic drag caused by the smog pump to about 2-4 HP at WOT. The Bypass valve also opens during deceleration to reduce or prevent backfires.

Code 44 RH side air not functioning.
Code 94 LH side air not functioning.

The computer uses the change in the O2 sensor readings to detect operation of the Thermactor control valves. When the dump valve opens, it reduces the O2 readings in the exhaust system. Then it closes the dump valve and the O2 readings increase. By toggling the dump valve (TAB), the computer tests for the 44/94 codes.

Failure mode is usually due to a clogged air crossover tube, where one or both sides of the tube clog with carbon. The air crossover tube mounts on the back of the cylinder heads and supplies air to each of the Thermactor air passages cast into the cylinder heads. When the heads do not get the proper air delivery, they set codes 44 & 94, depending on which passage is clogged. It is possible to get both 44 & 94, which would suggest that the air pump or control valves are not working correctly, or the crossover tube is full of carbon or missing.

thermactor-air-system-65-gif.50636

Computer operation & control for the Thermactor Air System
Automobile computers use current sink technology. They do not source power to any relay, solenoid or actuator like the IAC, fuel pump relay, or fuel injectors. Instead the computer provides a ground path for the positive battery voltage to get back to the battery negative terminal. That flow of power from positive to negative is what provides the energy to make the IAC, fuel pump relay, or fuel injectors work. No ground provided by the computer, then the actuators and relays don't operate.

One side of the any relay/actuator/solenoid in the engine compartment will be connected to a red wire that has 12-14 volts anytime the ignition switch is in the run position. The other side will have 12-14 volts when the relay/actuator/solenoid isn't turned on. Once the computer turns on the clamp side, the voltage on the computer side of the wire will drop down to 1 volt or less.

In order to test the TAD/TAB solenoids, you need to ground the white/red wire on the TAB solenoid or the light green/black wire on the TAD solenoid.

For 94-95 cars: the colors are different. The White/Red wire (TAB control) is White/Orange (Pin 31 on the PCM). The Green/Black wire (TAD control) should be Brown (pin 34 at the PCM). Thanks to HISSIN50 for this tip.

Testing the system:

To test the computer, you can use a test light across the TAB or TAD wiring connectors and dump the codes. When you dump the codes, the computer does a self test that toggles every relay/actuator/solenoid on and off. When this happens, the test light will flicker.

Disconnect the big hose from smog pump: with the engine running you should feel air output. Reconnect the smog pump hose & apply vacuum to the first vacuum controlled valve: Its purpose is to either dump the pump's output to the atmosphere or pass it to the next valve.

The next vacuum controlled valve directs the air to either the cylinder heads when the engine is cold or to the catalytic converter when the engine is warm. Disconnect the big hoses from the back side of the vacuum controlled valve and start the engine. Apply vacuum to the valve and see if the airflow changes from one hose to the next.

The two electrical controlled vacuum valves mounted on the rear of the passenger side wheel well turn the vacuum on & off under computer control. Check to see that both valves have +12 volts on the red wire. Then ground the white/red wire and the first solenoid should open and pass vacuum. Do the same thing to the light green/black wire on the second solenoid and it should open and pass vacuum.

Remember that the computer does not source power for any actuator or relay, but provides the ground necessary to complete the circuit. That means one side of the circuit will always be hot, and the other side will go to ground or below 1 volt as the computer switches on that circuit.

The computer provides the ground to complete the circuit to power the solenoid valve that turns the
vacuum on or off. The computer is located under the passenger side kick panel. Remove the kick panel & the cover over the computer wiring connector pins. Check Pin 38 Solenoid valve #1 that provides vacuum to the first Thermactor control valve for a switch from 12-14 volts to 1 volt or less. Do the same with pin 32 solenoid valve #2 that provides vacuum to the second Thermactor control valve. Starting the engine with the computer jumpered to self test mode will cause all the actuators to toggle on and off. If after doing this and you see no switching of the voltage on and off, you can start testing the wiring for shorts to ground and broken wiring. An Ohm check to ground with the computer connector disconnected & the solenoid valves disconnected should show open circuit between the pin 32 and ground and again on pin 38 and ground. In like manner, there should be less than 1 ohm between pin 32 and solenoid valve #2 and pin 38 & Solenoid valve #1.

If after checking the resistance of the wiring & you are sure that there are no wiring faults, start looking at the solenoid valves. If you disconnect them, you can jumper power & ground to them to verify operation. Power & ground supplied should turn on the vacuum flow, remove either one and the vacuum should stop flowing.

Typical resistance of the solenoid valves is in the range of 20-70 Ohms.

Theory of operation:
Catalytic converters consist of two different types of catalysts: Reduction and Oxidation.
The Reduction catalyst is the first converter in a 5.0 Mustang, and the Oxidation converter is the second converter. The Oxidation converter uses the extra air from the smog pump to burn the excess HC. Aftermarket converters that use the smog pump often combine both types of catalysts in one housing. Since all catalytic reactions depend on heat to happen, catalytic converters do not work as efficiently with long tube headers. The extra length of the long tubes reduces the heat available to operate the O2 sensors and the catalytic converters. That will cause emissions problems, and reduce the chances of passing an actual smog test.

Now for the Chemistry...
"The reduction catalyst is the first stage of the catalytic converter. It uses platinum and rhodium to help reduce the NOx emissions. When an NO or NO2 molecule contacts the catalyst, the catalyst rips the nitrogen atom out of the molecule and holds on to it, freeing the oxygen in the form of O2. The nitrogen atoms bond with other nitrogen atoms that are also stuck to the catalyst, forming N2. For example:

2NO => N2 + O2 or 2NO2 => N2 + 2O2

The oxidation catalyst is the second stage of the catalytic converter. It reduces the unburned hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide by burning (oxidizing) them over a platinum and palladium catalyst. This catalyst aids the reaction of the CO and hydrocarbons with the remaining oxygen in the exhaust gas. For example:

2CO + O2 => 2CO2

There are two main types of structures used in catalytic converters -- honeycomb and ceramic beads. Most cars today use a honeycomb structure." Quote courtesy of How Stuff Works (HowStuffWorks "Catalysts")

What happens when there is no extra air from the smog pump...
As engines age, the quality of tune decreases and wear causes them to burn oil. We have all seem cars that go down the road puffing blue or black smoke from the tailpipe. Oil consumption and poor tune increase the amount of HC the oxidation catalyst has to deal with. The excess HC that the converters cannot oxidize due to lack of extra air becomes a crusty coating inside the honeycomb structure. This effectively reduces the size of the honeycomb passageways and builds up thicker over time and mileage. Continuous usage under such conditions will cause the converter to fail and clog. The extra air provided by the Thermactor Air System (smog pump) is essential for the oxidation process. It oxidizes the added HC from oil consumption and poor tune and keeps the HC levels within acceptable limits.

Newer catalytic converters do not use the Thermactor Air System (smog pump) because they are designed to work with an improved computer system that runs leaner and cleaner
They add an extra set of O2 sensors after the catalytic converters to monitor the oxygen and HC levels. Using this additional information, the improved computer system monitors the health of the catalytic converters. . If the computer cannot compensate for the added load of emissions due to wear and poor tune, the catalytic converters will eventually fail and clog. The periodic checks (smog inspections) are supposed to help owners keep track of problems and get them repaired. Use them on an 86-95 Mustang and you will slowly kill them with the pollutants that they are not designed to deal with.

Last edited:
Thanks jrichker, all great information. As for the AIR codes, I'm getting them because I have the pump bypassed with a shorter belt. I haven't decided yet if I am going to remove the AIR system all together, now that the car is 25 years old and won't require smog tests anymore. If I did, is there a way to either trick the ECU into thinking the system is functioning properly, or a way to program the codes out of the ECU all together?

I'm fairly certain the IAC is functioning properly, but I will certainly take the info you provided and test everything out with my DMM. I'm familiar with PWM for both DC motor control as well as LED dimming circuits, so will apply that to this troubleshooting.

It's just strange that code 12 showed up when I swapped the ECT in place of the ACT by accident. Tomorrow I will try clearing the codes by interrupting the jumper wire while performing the KOEO test and see if that clears them out. I'm starting to think the codes are memory codes, as the car now seems to be running much better.

As for code 21, I'll ping the circuit out if the code remains after clearing it through the KOEO procedure.

Thanks again

If you leave the smog pump undone you will plug the catalytic converters. Plugging them is not worth the few hp it takes to spin the pump. A previous owner stripped the pump and a bunch of smog stuff from my car. Not counting the weight of the cats vs. an off road h/x pipe, I think it was only eight pounds and a lot of hassle. And all it really did is make my car smell like gas, spit out codes and make a lot of hassle to fix.

Newer catalytic converters do not use the Thermactor Air System (smog pump) because they are designed to work with an improved computer system that runs leaner and cleaner
They add an extra set of O2 sensors after the catalytic converters to monitor the oxygen and HC levels. Using this additional information, the improved computer system adjusts the air/fuel mixture for cleaner combustion and reduced emissions.

This isn't the way post cat O2 sensors function in an ODB-II system. The post cat O2 signals are not used to make any fueling or timing adjustments, and are solely for checking the health of the catalytic converters. The OBD-II system does this in one of two ways: Earlier systems will check the rear O2 sensor readings looking for a value within a specific range, and if it is outside of that range, will set a catalytic efficiency code. Later OBD-II systems compare the rear O2 readings against the front O2 readings, and if the delta is outside of a specified range, the PCM will set a catalytic efficiency code.

If you leave the smog pump undone you will plug the catalytic converters. Plugging them is not worth the few hp it takes to spin the pump. A previous owner stripped the pump and a bunch of smog stuff from my car. Not counting the weight of the cats vs. an off road h/x pipe, I think it was only eight pounds and a lot of hassle. And all it really did is make my car smell like gas, spit out codes and make a lot of hassle to fix.

Thanks, this makes sense. I certainly do not want the car smelling like a cat-less car, so I will reconnect the smog pump for now. I wonder if the AIR system can be removed and the H pipe replaced with one that uses modern catalytic converters which don't require the extra oxygen during warm up?

The factory H pipe is pretty rusted up (this car lived it's life in Houston) as was the cat back before I replaced it, so I will eventually replace the mid pipes anyway.

It I can remove the smog system, get modern cats, and somehow get a tune to compensate, I think it's worth the expense and effort.

Try checking the crossover tube bolted to the rear of the heads, going to the smog system. They have a tendency to get gummed up with carbon over the years and that's likely the cause of your 94 and 44 codes.

Try checking the crossover tube bolted to the rear of the heads, going to the smog system. They have a tendency to get gummed up with carbon over the years and that's likely the cause of your 94 and 44 codes.

Thanks, but the codes are a result of the smog pump being bypassed with a shorter belt. Not sure why folks keep missing this bit of info in my posts?

I just went out and swapped it with an OEM length belt and reengaged the smog pump. I'm about to head out to run some errands, but will 1st clear codes by removing the jumper during KOEO procedure, then will run my errands and check for codes after the car is at normal operating temps.

The factory H pipe is pretty rusted up (this car lived it's life in Houston) as was the cat back before I replaced it, so I will eventually replace the mid pipes anyway.

It I can remove the smog system, get modern cats, and somehow get a tune to compensate, I think it's worth the expense and effort.
I may have some misunderstanding about the second set of O2 sensors, but this I do know. The newer cars run much leaner and cleaner that's why they can use cats with no air pump.

Ya, I agree; OBD-II definitely has better control over the mixture for running cleaner. I have a call into my tuner to see if it's something he can adjust in the Mustang's ECU. My track car is a 2005 GTO, and he does a great job tuning it, just not sure if he's familiar with this platform. Or if it's even possible to tune the ECU to run clean with a newer style cat and without the AIR pump .

After putting the standard belt back on, and engaging the smog pump, I took it out this afternoon and just ran the codes after getting it up to operating temp.

KOEO still only has 11, and now KOER has 41 and 91. I'm going to assume this is probably related to the O2 sensor, consider the car has what looks like 166k miles on it. I'm happy to see 12 and 21 are now gone, and of course reconnecting the smog pump took care of 94 and 44.

Thanks for the input guys!

Ya, I agree; OBD-II definitely has better control over the mixture for running cleaner. I have a call into my tuner to see if it's something he can adjust in the Mustang's ECU. My track car is a 2005 GTO, and he does a great job tuning it, just not sure if he's familiar with this platform. Or if it's even possible to tune the ECU to run clean with a newer style cat and without the AIR pump .

After putting the standard belt back on, and engaging the smog pump, I took it out this afternoon and just ran the codes after getting it up to operating temp.

KOEO still only has 11, and now KOER has 41 and 91. I'm going to assume this is probably related to the O2 sensor, consider the car has what looks like 166k miles on it. I'm happy to see 12 and 21 are now gone, and of course reconnecting the smog pump took care of 94 and 44.

Thanks for the input guys!

I plan on doing this once I get my car running well and everything replaced. I will be using a mega squirt, similar to madmike and you can adjust your target afr to be leaner in idle and cruising conditions, and keep your acceleration enrichments the same.

Where in Texas are you?

There are kits to use a wide band O2 and a newer computer if you are set on this. A new Pypes stainless x pipe or BBK alluminum coated cat set will get the job done well for much less. But it is your money, time and frustration.

Where in Texas are you?

I'm in Liberty Hill, which is just north of Austin.

There are kits to use a wide band O2 and a newer computer if you are set on this. A new Pypes stainless x pipe or BBK alluminum coated cat set will get the job done well for much less. But it is your money, time and frustration.

Are you saying the Pypes stainless pipe, or the BBK coated cats, will be efficient enough to work without the smog pump? If so, is there a way to disable the 44 and 94 codes in the ECU?

Thanks for the feedback.

I got the S&P connectors apart, and cleaned them up with electronics cleaner. The wire harness seems to have plenty of slack to reach without the extensions, so I left them off for now. Without them, there's no tension at all on the connectors..

There were 2 purposes for the S&P jumpers, tension and more importantly the pin/hole were incompatible. iirc the pins are round and the holes a little oblong, so the jumpers remedied this by making the jumpers compatible per se, one option to eliminate the jumpers and keep solid connection is to slightly pinch each pin a little oblong so it fills the hole and as Mike suggested use dielectric grease..