Retrofit Tacoma Struts in a Stang

I found that the springs are 14" uncompressed and they are rated at 455lbs. Even at this rate they are way to stiff. Newer mustangs are rated at 300lbs with their struts. I am leaning more towards this.

I have attached a pic of what the struts look like, they are on the left. The other struts are for a beefed up tacoma and a re rated at 650.

I know you've already change to an 03 cobra strut setup, but just FYI: The Tacoma's stock spring rate is 550lbs/in.

Do you have any more info on specifically what you had to modify in order to fit the Tacoma struts?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry I haven't updated this like I said I would. I have been extremely busy. I am a teacher, I have four kids, two of which are 6 month old twins and I am working on my masters. So you may see why I haven't had time to reply to much lately.

Now onto the swap. Everything in this setup has been heavily modified. I have done all of the work myself and it has been no easy task. Below is a list of items that have been used.

1. 67 Mustang Lower Control Arm with 96 Mustang Lower Ball Joint
2. '03 Cobra Bilstein Struts
3. Coilover Kit, 14" Spring at 175lb
4. 96 Mustang Spindle with custom arm mount for rear steer Taurus Rack
5. Longer Wheel studs to accept 1/2" Spacer to fit 15" Torque Thrust Wheels
6. Steeda Caster Camber Plate for a 79-93 Mustang (Heavily Modified)

Again all of this has been heavily modified to fit my particular application. I am trying to post the information on the Taurus Rack Install. I got most of my turning radius back, but am still not 100% satisfied. Between being busy and not having any money, it has been difficult working on this project.

Anyone interested in me making them the rear steer bracket? How about modifying the caster camber plates for them. I would of course do this for a fee, just something I thought I would throw out there to try to make some money to continue to develop this project. Thanks and talk to ya' all later.

So, will a stock Fox-body (87-93) or SN95 (94-04) upper strut mount/bearing work in the classic Mustang shock tower?

If so, are there any modifications that need to be done?

I know the Fox-body mount has 3 bolts while the SN95 mount has 4 . . . so I'm guessing the best candidate is the Fox-body mount.

Thanks in advance!

Use the Fox Body upper strut Mounts. I will take pics to show you what I did. Get the ones with spherical moveable bearings. It took me about 2 hours to mod these to work, they work great!

To get the Tacoma struts to work I cut out the inside of the upper A-Arm, sold those. I then modded the strut rod (caster adjustment) to accept the Tacoma Strut. I still have those if anyone is interested.

Use the Fox Body upper strut Mounts. I will take pics to show you what I did. Get the ones with spherical moveable bearings. It took me about 2 hours to mod these to work, they work great!

To get the Tacoma struts to work I cut out the inside of the upper A-Arm, sold those. I then modded the strut rod (caster adjustment) to accept the Tacoma Strut. I still have those if anyone is interested.

Do they look like these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=120345768768&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

Remember, these are not a bolt in and modification is required. These are the ones I used and they worked great, will try to get more pics up later.

Ebay Item: 250341847232

I thought you were able to use just the stock upper mounts from a Fox body car, but it seems you are instead using aftermarket caster/camber plates.

Are you still able to use your shock tower bracing/export brace?

Pictures would be great! Thanks!

My masters classes are coming to an end, the school year is winding down, and I will soon have my summer off. I will be tearing into my car tonight to change out headers. I will also be working on a custom rear coilover system. I will be getting pics put on of everything later tonight. I am sorry for the late delay and hopefully the pics will help. If you have questions or need any more information, let me know.

I don't know if this is what you were talking about with strut mount, this or the upper strut mount. The picture below is what I came up with for mounting the Tacoma struts to the lower arms. They are not pretty and are going in the scrap metal pile, but they got the job done. I will post pics tomorrow of the camber plates and how I modded them. Thanks so much for your patience. I am in the process of ripping out my rear end (ha ha) and replacing the 1/4 panels, wheel wells, and trunk floor, what a process!!! :jaw:

HPIM5578.jpg

HPIM5579.jpg

This was my first attempt at the upper mounts, didn't work out so well, had no camber adjustment and not very easy to work with. You will see later what I did to them to make them work out.

View attachment 256381
View attachment 256382

I don't know if this is what you were talking about with strut mount, this or the upper strut mount. The picture below is what I came up with for mounting the Tacoma struts to the lower arms. They are not pretty and are going in the scrap metal pile, but they got the job done. I will post pics tomorrow of the camber plates and how I modded them. Thanks so much for your patience. I am in the process of ripping out my rear end (ha ha) and replacing the 1/4 panels, wheel wells, and trunk floor, what a process!!! :jaw:

This was my first attempt at the upper mounts, didn't work out so well, had no camber adjustment and not very easy to work with. You will see later what I did to them to make them work out.

View attachment 256359
View attachment 256360

Thanks, Matt--I look forward to seeing how you configured your Caster/Camber plates!

just read the whole thread, cool project. i have a 95 stang with coilover struts in front and it pulls 1G in turns. now im building a double a-arm set up for my 65 falcon, 20.5" coilover attaching to the stock upper spring cups, just to out handle my daily driver stang.

so i agree a strut suspension will work great. take some pics and keep us posted.