retrofitting abs

• Sponsors (?)

I've been wondering the same thing. Searches on this forum have turned up zilch on the subject. :(

I'm planning on installing Cobra brakes and very much want to hookup ABS. I havent done any real research other than searching here, but had thought that a 99-04 GT computer and a significant chunk of its wiring harness might make this possible. The computer might have to be tricked into thinking that some of the other sensors are available though. I picked up a shop manual for my 02 GT, but I haven't delved into how the ABS works yet.

Maybe someone else will chime in with lots of good info. :D

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldent be surprised if it took making a "one off", if you could do it. By one off I mean something, that wouldent translate, to an other wise"normal" Mustang. Too specalized, to fit onto other cars.
It'd be a real technoligical challenge, though no doubt something of interest we'd all be like to see.

there is a mechanical abs system that you could use easily. it is a bolt on system, and works by preventing line pressure from getting to high thus preventing the brakes from locking. i forget the website though. as for electronic abs, dont forget that by the time these systems rolled around, EVERYTHING was integrated into the computer system in the car, and everything needed to work together for the abs to work properly. personally i am with mikethebike on this one too, too much work for not enough gain to bother with.

there is a mechanical abs system that you could use easily. it is a bolt on system, and works by preventing line pressure from getting to high thus preventing the brakes from locking. i forget the website though. as for electronic abs, dont forget that by the time these systems rolled around, EVERYTHING was integrated into the computer system in the car, and everything needed to work together for the abs to work properly. personally i am with mikethebike on this one too, too much work for not enough gain to bother with.

Agreed. Upgrading to ABS requires upgrading to EFI and the whole computer shindig. Not worth the time or the money spent to get it done. Not even sure it can be done on a classic anyway. Just enjoy your classic as it is, a 40+ old car that if fun to drive.

fortunately, the SN-95 ABS system is a stand alone system and can easily be retrofitted to other cars including a classic stang. the F/R weight bias is close to the same as a classic stang so theoretically it would work about as well on a classic as it does on a 98 GT.

i have bookmarked all of these threads and may give this a try on the 69 cougar project.

fortunately, the SN-95 ABS system is a stand alone system and can easily be retrofitted to other cars including a classic stang. the F/R weight bias is close to the same as a classic stang so theoretically it would work about as well on a classic as it does on a 98 GT.

i have bookmarked all of these threads and may give this a try on the 69 cougar project.

Agreed, also you can have disc/drum ABS system.
The difficult part would be to fit the sensor rings :(

this i did not know. can you pm me the threads about doing the swap? it would make for interesting reading at least.

If you changed the front to a strut system something like the fat man system and used an 8.8 rear I would think that this would be somewhat straight forward am I missing something here. I personally do not like ABS on a “driven” car because I like to have as much control of the car as possibly, but I can see why others would like it. I do however like them on a daily driver.

Agreed, also you can have disc/drum ABS system.
The difficult part would be to fit the sensor rings :(

most drum brake ABS systems from Ford used a tone ring on either the ring gear or the carrier (can't remember which), so that would probably require swapping in an 8.8" rearend from something. i guess it would be possible to somehow mount the tone rings and sensors inside the drum assembly but that might be more trouble than it's worth.

if you were to use a mustang steve (or other vendor) cobra front disc brake kit and an ultrastang rear disc kit and adapt the tone rings and sensors to those parts (should be fairly easy and straight forward) or you could use the fatman kit (i don't personally like that kit) as well.