retrofittng heated/power seats

• Sponsors (?)

Those are the factory heated seat pads, and yes, you can use those, but Ford wants a lot for them. Aftermarket ones will be half as much (at least in Canada).

The only part you will really need if you want the stock buttons in the dash (located below the A/C controls) is the climate module 7R3Z-19980-B.

Cheers

wiring

did you use a factory harness or wire it yourself? and what gauge wire did you use if you did yourown electircal (is assume somewhere in the ballpark of 14-18?)

i just got some prices from my local dealership and the climate module is 235.10 one seat element is $82 and the other is $96

all factory ford parts does this sound correct ? he also told me to look for any pigtails that may be not connected unerneath the seat for the element

The guage of wire I used was 14. As for the price on climate control, it is a little cheaper than I paid. I did not use the factory harness or factory pads, the installers dealt with that. As for pig tails, 05 06 didn't come with heated seats, so they won't have it set up for that.

I only installed the climate module and then hooked it up to a relay as described before. The rest the shop took care of. I'll ask them for all the specifics, though, for those that will do the entire mod themselves.

You will need to attach wires to pins 13 and 12 at the back of the climate module. There should be numbers molded into the plastic beside the pins to let you know which is which. Then figure out where the slots in the pig tail wher it plugs into. Insert the wires here.

Cheers

Cowtown - The kit I used is from Innovative Heat. 1-800-396-4316. I found it on e-bay for $147 including shipping. It's exactly the same as what I saw on a site for Universal Seat Heater Kit for ~$185. The instructions say it is a Heizgerat Setzt II with illuminated switch...

I just installed the kit on Sunday and tested it out today. Does a nice job of heating up my buns. We've had heated seats in 2 cars before and this works as well as those did.

The install was not as bad as I thought it might be. I didn't have to remove the upholstery at all. I found there was enough room to slide the heating elements in from the back of the seat & the bottom of the back. I opened up the upholstery at the back where the bottom and back come together. I cut a couple of wedges (like a door stop) from wood and covered them with duct tape so they wouldn't catch & snag on anything. Being that the elements are basically cloth with a wire mesh inside, you cannot "push" them in place inbetween the foam and the fabric/leather. I solved that by applying duct tape over the far end and making a pocket at each corner (small piece of duct tape applied sticky side to sticky side so there's no adheasive in that small area. I then used a heavy gauge wire (mechanics wire) with the end bent over so it was blunt and wrapped it with a small piece of duct tape. I could then "push" the heating element inbetween the foam and fabric using the wires. It worked perfectly! Once in place, I could pull out the wires and re-attach the upholstery where it hooks over the ends.

I considered buying the factory switches as discussed in this thread, but decided to just use the ones that came with the kit. The mounting location I selected was on the console right next to the smaller cup holder. They're wasn't enough room to put them side by side, so I put them front to back. I think it looks natural, not much like an add on (unless someone knows of the '07 switch location). I'd put a picture of it on here, but I haven't quite figured that out (always says my file is too large). If you want a picture, send a PM to me and I'll send you one.

Hopes this helps someone out there as I've spent a lot of time putting this in ;>).

jim010 - I tapped into an empty spot in the fuse block that provided power with the ignition on. The kit has its own in-line fuses and only draws 5 amps on high. I used a mounting bolt for the e-brake (under the console cover) for the ground. The wires from each seat heater run between the inside edge of the seat up under the lower edge of the console plastic cover - where no one will ever see it.

This is what the factory switches look like:

Cheers

Attachments

• P1171071b.jpg
    P1171071b.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 180
Can't find part #...

This is an excellent thread on the how to for this retro fit! However, I can't seem to find the part for the climate module...7R3Z-19980-B

I've searched on the ford oem sites listed above and been to the stealership and they are having trouble finding it too.

Is this the correct part number???

NEVER MIND...I emailed Fordparts.com and they found it (not sure why it doesn't pull up on their website search) they have it for $172

Not to get flamed for reviving an old thread.(I used the search and found this thead) I am trying to add heated seats to my 05 while I do the Roush seat conversion on my seats. I would like jim010 to hopefully chime in or anyone else with any help. I'm trying to use the after market seat warmers like discussed in this thread. I already have the oem dash climate cluster. I would like to know how he wired the relay in before he sent it out to have the rest done. Any help would be appreciated:nice: