Returning to stock question

Paradox2018

Oct 9, 2019
Pennsylvania
I have a 2001 Mustang GT that I recently got that came with an SCT tune.

I’m not sure if the tune was a custom tune or just a preloaded tune. He could’ve just changed the fuel octane rating and that’s it in the settings as well, but I’m not sure.

I want to return the car to stock temporarily to diagnose a P0190 CEL I can’t figure out and maybe see if stock makes it go away.

I’m not 100% sure if the car has other mods but all the seller told me was “a k&n CAI, 93 octane SCT tune and borla exhaust”. Can I safely return the car to stock without damaging the car while I drive it?

• Sponsors(?)

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
Houston Texas
Just wondering. Have you tested to see IF the voltage at the FRPS itself?

For example. With the key on test between BN/WH and GY/RD wire. This should read the 5 volt VREF. If no VREF at the FRPS, it's not possible for the FRPS sensor to work.

We need to know what the PCM "thinks" is the FRPS voltage value. We can then force the FRPS to force the value to change by shorting between the signal return (RD/PK) between the BN/WK which should make the volts jump to 5. Shorting between RD/PK and GY/RD should make the FRPS volts go to zero. These tests will "prove" that the PCM is able to "see" the signal return value.

Measure the key on voltage between the FRPS signal return wire RD/PK and GY/RD. The volt value here should match what the ODB2 fuel pressure PID volts. If not, it means there is either a break in the signal return line or the PCM is bad.

I just don't buy that your problem is being "caused" by a tune. If your theory is true the problem would have been there since the beginning.

Paradox2018

Oct 9, 2019
Pennsylvania
Just wondering. Have you tested to see IF the voltage at the FRPS itself?

For example. With the key on test between BN/WH and GY/RD wire. This should read the 5 volt VREF. If no VREF at the FRPS, it's not possible for the FRPS sensor to work.

We need to know what the PCM "thinks" is the FRPS voltage value. We can then force the FRPS to force the value to change by shorting between the signal return (RD/PK) between the BN/WK which should make the volts jump to 5. Shorting between RD/PK and GY/RD should make the FRPS volts go to zero. These tests will "prove" that the PCM is able to "see" the signal return value.

Measure the key on voltage between the FRPS signal return wire RD/PK and GY/RD. The volt value here should match what the ODB2 fuel pressure PID volts. If not, it means there is either a break in the signal return line or the PCM is bad.

I just don't buy that your problem is being "caused" by a tune. If your theory is true the problem would have been there since the beginning.
I will try out these tests tomorrow morning when I have some daylight lol, and I know the tune most likely isn't the problem but I still wanted to know if I could safely return to stock without damaging anything. I have only had the car for 2 weeks and got it with the tune already installed. I just want to also know how the car feels when running stock. That will also remove the possibility of the tune causing the CEL somehow.

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2002
Broke
www.steeda.com
You can safely return to stock. Those mods are extremely minor (ACI and catback). Thats going to be a pretty cookie cutter basic tune to grab you maybe 10hp. A tune is certainly not required.

Paradox2018

Oct 9, 2019
Pennsylvania
Awesome, I will be returning to stock today and doing some testing then. I’m hoping the car feels better in stock but I’m not expecting too big of a difference. Currently the car doesn’t even feel too bad, maybe just slightly down on power

Paradox2018

Oct 9, 2019
Pennsylvania
You can safely return to stock. Those mods are extremely minor (ACI and catback). Thats going to be a pretty cookie cutter basic tune to grab you maybe 10hp. A tune is certainly not required.
This is what is strange to me, I drove the car to my college classes today and when I turned my car back on after letting it sit for an hour after my first class the CEL went away. I'm confused why it went away without me doing anything and without me returning it to stock.

After I get out of my last class of the day I plan on cleaning the MAF Sensor and IAC Valve and also doing the test that wmburns posted above to see if that changes anything.

The car doesn't feel different when the CEL goes away, but the exhaust sounds slightly louder to me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Gears and returning to stock question? 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 2
P Digital Tuning Need help with returning to stock (SCT) SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 27
D How Can I Return My Ecu To Stock? Help! 2010 - 2014 Specific Tech 3
prae_21 Steeda Return Policy- 20% Re-Stocking Fee on New or Unused Items within 30 days 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 0
prae_21 Steeda's Return Policy- 20% Re-Stocking Fee 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 0
saleen308 Returned to stock / throwing codes 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 7
cLeAnRaCiNgLdR Returning to stock tune 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 10
jordanvraptor Terminatrix returned to STOCK except for exhaust. Regional Forums and Event Information 17
I Returning car to stock trim SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 8
E Please help, return tube heater hose 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
D EFI fittings for Supply/Return line (under hood) - Which ones? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 1
C New returning member from Ft Lauderdale The Welcome Wagon 2
O 1997 Heater Return Pipe SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 0
S 2014 GT undercarriage rust on recent purchase - should i return? 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 0
95GTMatt I've returned The Welcome Wagon 2
A Returning member in New Jersey (Barnegat) The Welcome Wagon 0
Woody3882 Brake Pedal free return freeplay ? 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 1
MoDriver For Sale 64-66 Mustang NOS Parking Brake Lever Return Spring w/extra hardwar Wheels/Tires/Brakes 0
MarineDeuce Drivetrain 2013 Clutch Fails To Return upon Release. 2010 - 2014 Specific Tech 8
89Stang Old member making a return! The Welcome Wagon 4
B Need help identifying fuel feed and return lines. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
R Returning after a while away The Welcome Wagon 1
R Return Style Fuel System 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 0
saxplayer 2018 Sync-3 W/ Nav. Returns To Sirius Radio 2015+ (S550) Mustang -General/Talk 0
S Not New But Returning. The Welcome Wagon 2
T Project: Return Of Sally 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 17
S Returning Member From North Texas The Welcome Wagon 3
M Foxbody Fuel Rail Feed/return Questions Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 54
Gearbanger 101 Forced Induction Vortech Oil Return Line. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
J 5.0 Random Stalling At Idle And After Wot When Returns To Idle Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
S Returning Member From Bay Area Ca The Welcome Wagon 3
M Returning Under A New Name New Stang! The Welcome Wagon 2
C Heater Hose Return Tube 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 4
S Returning To The Hobby The Welcome Wagon 2
Pops Fun Fuel Help.. Return Fuel Line 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 3
B Long Time Member Returning 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 1
3 Returning Member The Welcome Wagon 7
Project86 Electrical Sensor Return, Messed Up Tps, Burnt Trace @ Pin 46, Auto To 5sp V8 Swap Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
Grabbin' Asphalt Fuel Pump Return Restrictor 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 8
bhuff30 Returnless Fuel To Return Syle Conversion SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 4
C Power Steering Rack Return Port Threads Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 0
bhuff30 Fuel Returnless To Return Fuel Tank SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
MRaburn Mach 1 And Shelby Gt350 Return To Ford Mustang Roster StangNet Site News 0
Yellow302 Forced Induction Paxton Novi 2000 Custom Oil Return Line, May Work On Vortec As Well. 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 4
CarMichael Angelo Progress Thread My return to the fray (Backwards fox progress thread) Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 61
5 Return Line Install Help SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
R Fuel Is It Ok To Run A 3/8" Feed Line And A 1/4" Return? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
mhjo Wipers Won't Return To Park Posision Classic Mustang Specific Tech 4
M Nasa American Iron Racing Series Returns To Summit Point Regional Forums and Event Information 0
PoopDawg The return of a Legend... Dying opossum... 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 25