Reverse Wire - Please Help

ykr1

Oct 21, 2003
Trenton, Nj
Hey Guys,
I am in the process of installing a rear view camera for a Kenwood Headunit. One of the wires points to the reverse light on the car. Does anyone know where this wire is located? I am trying to tap into this wire so the HU automaticly turns on the camera when I am in reverse. I have a bone stock 05 GT. Any Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.

• Sponsors (?)

ykr, there's three logical things you can do here, because I don't think your going to find that wire in the dash near the radio at all.

Run a lead from the gear select switch in console. Use a test light to catch the actuating wire. I don't recall the wire color or I'd give it to you..

Run a long lead to the trunk and grab the signal off the reverse light itself.

Or go under the hood and grab it off the fuse box..

Emay - Thanks alot for the reponse. Just have one more question. Do you know which fuse controls the reverse light? Once I find that, all i have to do is run a wire that connects to my HU...right?

Also, what do you mean by the "actuating" wire...sorry if I seem like a idiot, just a little confused

Again, thanks for your help

Actuating wire or better term ( the wire on the switched side of the circuit).

There's a hot lead coming to it that has power, on the other side of the switch is the actuating wire once the car is placed in reverse, all of the wiring for the rear of the car passes in loom down the driver side of the car.

As far as the fuse, I'll have to look tonite.. Sorry I didn't catch these questions yesterday, I could have been far more helpful..

No Problem Emay, you have been a great help already.

I called Crutchfield. They said that the reverse wire is located on the 52-pin harness in the passenger side kick panel. They said that the wire is white with a yellow stripe and is in pin # 13. The actual clip is blue and is on the top right of the fuse box. This controls the reverse light. Im not sure if this works yet.... Im going to hook it up tomorrow. . I am very hesitant to tap into this wire via wiretap because i dont like to cut any factory wires for obvious reasons. I tried to simply put a peice of the wire in the pin slot and clip it back into place. I will let you know how it goes....If you come up with any more information please let me know beacuse i am still unsure if this is going to work.Again, Thanks for your help.

P.S - You have one BADA$$ Stang...Really Realy Good Work

A way to test that pin is to put the key in the on position without the car running, leave parking brake on so car doesn't move and put car in reverse.. with a test lite on the wire in question it should turn on, then pull car out of reverse at which point it should shut off..

I wouldn't just tap the wire to the headunit without checking it activates correctly on a test light first.. Crutchfield is fairly helpful, but it always pays to double check first rather than damage a perfectly good head unit..