Reviving one that's been sitting 20+ years

• Sponsors(?)

BestGuess

Aug 21, 2021
Virginia
Got the engine back together and ready to drop in the car. I didn't remove the trans with the engine and thought that I could just drop the engine back in and get it aligned with the trans. NOPE NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!! Trans will be coming out in the next day or so and getting attached to the engine outside of the car. I knew better, but wanted to try anyways. I'm not a foxbody expert with a manual trans. Have removed the engine and left the trans numerous times with an auto trans with no issue.

BestGuess

Aug 21, 2021
Virginia
IMG_5990.jpeg

Well, was able to this pile of junk into this:

IMG_6249.jpeg

Got it fired up, definitely sounds better than it did before and has 55psi of oil pressure at idle. Still got some stuff to do to button it all up. If you notice I tried to do that weird belt routing and tensioner setup where I redrilled the factory tensioner and clocked the spring differently. The belt screeches absolutely terrible and immediately gets hot along with the alternator pulley. So I'm assuming it's slipping on the alternator. I am waiting on a longer reverse thread bolt to put through the idler pulley so I can put my DIY Tractor Supply belt tensioner on there to see if that cures the issue.

The engine now has the factory pistons swapped and installed backwards in the engine, new rod and main bearings, new head gaskets, fresh DIY hone job done right in the garage with my corded drill and Amazon hone, new super gapped rings, new Viton valve seals, cleaned up the valve seats, Alex's Parts valve spring and retainer kit. Also cleaned it up a lot cleaner than it was with some good ole Totally Awesome oven cleaner and my pressure washer.