Reviving one that's been sitting 20+ years

• Sponsors (?)

Got the engine back together and ready to drop in the car. I didn't remove the trans with the engine and thought that I could just drop the engine back in and get it aligned with the trans. NOPE NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!! Trans will be coming out in the next day or so and getting attached to the engine outside of the car. I knew better, but wanted to try anyways. I'm not a foxbody expert with a manual trans. Have removed the engine and left the trans numerous times with an auto trans with no issue.

IMG_5990.jpeg

Well, was able to this pile of junk into this:

IMG_6249.jpeg

Got it fired up, definitely sounds better than it did before and has 55psi of oil pressure at idle. Still got some stuff to do to button it all up. If you notice I tried to do that weird belt routing and tensioner setup where I redrilled the factory tensioner and clocked the spring differently. The belt screeches absolutely terrible and immediately gets hot along with the alternator pulley. So I'm assuming it's slipping on the alternator. I am waiting on a longer reverse thread bolt to put through the idler pulley so I can put my DIY Tractor Supply belt tensioner on there to see if that cures the issue.

The engine now has the factory pistons swapped and installed backwards in the engine, new rod and main bearings, new head gaskets, fresh DIY hone job done right in the garage with my corded drill and Amazon hone, new super gapped rings, new Viton valve seals, cleaned up the valve seats, Alex's Parts valve spring and retainer kit. Also cleaned it up a lot cleaner than it was with some good ole Totally Awesome oven cleaner and my pressure washer.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that's more than a slight turn.
I was about to load this thing up on the trailer and take it to an old buddy so he could weld up the exhaust junk I slapped together. I remembered another friend more local was in the process of upgrading his car and mentioned to me that he may be parting ways with his old turbo kit. Sent a text and asked what parts he wanted to sell and well here we are. Couldn't pass up the deal.

I was about to pull the trigger and get the alternator parts off Amazon, but saw that my local junkyard is having a 50% off sale this Saturday. So I'll be going to hunt down either a 3g or 6g alternator.

In typical fashion I go to the junkyard today thinking I'm getting some cool parts for cheap and end up buying two wrong alternators. I got 6G alternators from a couple 2005 Ford Taurus. They fit on the new alternator bracket fine, but I found out they have a PWM controlled voltage regulator that the factory Ford ecu controls. After some searching around it seems that I can swap out the voltage regulator for one that isn't PWM controlled or I may be able to control the alternator with my Microsquirt idle control since it is a PWM circuit or whatever you want to call it.

Got the car up and running again. As mentioned before I managed to get myself a couple 6g alternators from 04-05 Taurus. One blew up while I had the car idling, shot sparks out a few times and then the voltage dropped off, the other didn’t work at all. Got another from the junkyard that was covered in about 6” of snow and it works fine and I’ve been able to adjust the charging voltage through the ECU, which I think is pretty cool.

Got to get the piping and intercooler in there, fix a leak at the downpipe flange at the turbo, get some tires, few other things. Then may be able to drive this POS.
024A6F0D-6EBA-49B9-AEAF-48F0BDECBA5E.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I think I have the coldside piping and intercooler about done. Waiting on some new tbolt clamps and got to get the AIT sensor bung welded into the charge piping just before the TB. Think I may have to do some adjusting to get the bumper to fit back on, but nothing major I don’t think.

Found out the tail lights work.

Another issue I’m going to have to tackle is I don’t think the alternator pulley is aligned with the crank pulley that well. Belt doesn’t seem to ride on the pulleys that smooth and it looks like it bounces around a bit if that makes sense. Belt also slung off yesterday at least once.
79C60A6C-2D52-48C2-A007-77AC64A480EF.jpeg
B37E2F5F-47BB-43E5-88D6-65D6ADCF1162.jpeg
B4D35748-4FB2-480C-B46C-42ADB1DBE3CA.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users
Moved under its own power for the first time in a little while.

The alternator/water pump belt alignment is a pain. I think I got it closer, but the brand new belt is looking about haggard already.

Got to cut the rear springs. Any suggestions on how much? Has 235/60-15” on the back.
CD211C57-6148-41ED-8A69-598EDFCF2505.jpeg
91359186-D57B-4EC2-ABDE-08CF2018AAD8.jpeg

That brown is beautiful man. Nothing like a car that runs and drives.

I wouldn't advise cutting the springs. They are so cheap for a set of decent lowering springs it just doesn't make much sense. Cutting springs was a thing I did back in the 90s but have learned my lesson. Cut springs will ride harsher and the handling of the car will suffer.

Cut springs will ride harsher and the handling of the car will suffer.
Thank you for the compliment.

Nothing about this thing is luxurious. It’s a stripped down rust bucket. I’m still not sure I’ve got all of the rat nests out of it. I am just about at my limits of spending $$$ on this thing. Cut springs gonna have to work for now.