Electrical Rewiring horn button (need help)

paddyrk

Jun 7, 2018
Dublin, OH
I am looking into wiring my right horn button to a different circuit, but I need help finding the wire. I can’t find any diagrams online for this, but I only want to change the routing of the right button so that the left one still works normally. I want to take the right horn button wire, cut it from the circuit, and use it elsewhere. Does anyone know where/what color the wire is for this? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

The two buttons are wired internally in the steering wheel. Only one wire passes through the clockspring to the column. No spare wires exist in the clockspring.

Better off using a horn button on a flex cable

IMG_4763.JPG

The two buttons are wired internally in the steering wheel. Only one wire passes through the clockspring to the column. No spare wires exist in the clockspring.

Better off using a horn button on a flex cable

IMG_4763.JPG
Sorry if this is obvious, but what is a flex cable and how would I use it? To clarify, I am trying to wire one (or both if need be) of my horn button(s) to trigger a transbrake.

That's the above one. Unsure how to mount it on the stock 90-93 wheel though. There are others so you may want to search around. I just searched "steering wheel push button"

I've hooked up NOS kits for people and activated them by the left horn button. I just unplugged it at the horn under the fender and connected it there. It's that easy. Verify with a test light!

I've hooked up NOS kits for people and activated them by the left horn button. I just unplugged it at the horn under the fender and connected it there. It's that easy. Verify with a test light!
That makes sense, but that eliminates the use of the horn then, correct?

I suppose I could rewire the horn elsewhere, but then I may be cutting off my arm in spite of my hand

Can't remember how I did it under the fender. I was thinking one side still blew the horn but I don't remember. You're right though. Might not be a productive method.

You could do a toggle from the wire from the horn to switch between the actual horn and the transbrake. Flip to one position and it's a horn. Flip to the other, and both buttons would do the transbrake, but you won't have a horn.

Of course, would suck to think it's in the horn position and get cut off at 50MPH and hit the transbrake instead. Actually...maybe you don't want to do this idea.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
You could do a toggle from the wire from the horn to switch between the actual horn and the transbrake. Flip to one position and it's a horn. Flip to the other, and both buttons would do the transbrake, but you won't have a horn.

Of course, would suck to think it's in the horn position and get cut off at 50MPH and hit the transbrake instead. Actually...maybe you don't want to do this idea.
No I actually really like this idea, the valve body I'm trying to use only allows the T brake to engage in first gear, and I could just set the switch in a position where it's easy enough to get to seated, but not so easy that I will want to use it at every stop light. Thank you for that thought.

Edit: Since it's late and I am at a loss for what is wrong with my ignition system, I made this highly detailed and accurate diagram for another idea like this, where I use 2 separate switches running from the horn button, and yes, if both switches are active, both things will happen.

. ____/ _____ horn
. /
Horn Button--------|
. \
. \____/ _____ transbrake

Last edited: