Ricers really do think their farting exhaust sounds good

Boss 351

Here sthhhhhhhheeeve take a picthh of my man flowe
Jul 13, 2003
Canada
:rlaugh: What the hell, there is no hope what-so-ever! I go for a drive and these ricers in a dark red, with grey primer (stickers over the primer too) revving his hamsters at me. I had to ask "Do you like how your car sounds or what?" he said "yeah my car sounds like an F1 race car from the inside"... To which I respond "well I wouldn't know but from the outside it sounds like a grandma's wet fart"...

They actually think that stuff sounds good? :notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

Yea, a friend of mine at work has a 240 that he dropped in some turbo motor from Japan and put on a larger turbo. Sounds like a typical ricer, but he was running in the low 12s before his engine rebuild. When he gets it all together it should run low 11s.

I like his car, mainly because I have seen how much time and effort he has put into it. Typically I am not a fan of the import scene, but there are a lot of nasty ones out there. I say to each his own, it doesn't matter if you build a nasty stroked Mustang or a turbo Civic....building a fast car is building a fast car.

Unfortunately for those guys, the Fast and Furious movies gave the import guys a bad name. Now everybody with a Honda slaps a large mouth muffler on it and thinks he can run 10s.

But there are posers in every crowd. I see a ton of 3.8 Mustangs with dual exhaust and a cold air intake with an automatic running the streets thinking they are the ****. So no matter what your flavor is, there are the real guys and there are posers. It's just that not every crowd had a series of crappy movies made about them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRX58ECBnWE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXX1z26Eyv0

just because you have a big coffee can out back doesnt mean you cant back it up. this is my personal car.

I think he was more or less referring to the crowd out there that buys an import and slaps a muffler on the car first thing with no other mods at all.

Up the street from me is a primered out integra with rot. It's slow as **** and has the loudest exhaust around. It sounds like a dirt bike with it's high pitched buzz. It's so obnoixious.

There are a few imports with great sounding exhaust (WRX, G35, etc) but slapping a fart can on a toyota camry isn't exacty going to instill fear in someone. :shrug:

I think he was more or less referring to the crowd out there that buys an import and slaps a muffler on the car first thing with no other mods at all.

Up the street from me is a primered out integra with rot. It's slow as **** and has the loudest exhaust around. It sounds like a dirt bike with it's high pitched buzz. It's so obnoixious.

There are a few imports with great sounding exhaust (WRX, G35, etc) but slapping a fart can on a toyota camry isn't exacty going to instill fear in someone. :shrug:

i knew what he was getting at, just pointing out that if it has a 4" exhaust that doesnt mean its a ricer. i run a 4" exhaust but its only to move more air, not to piss people off.

I've always wondered what it is, exactly, that makes some of them cross that line separating "naively wannabe performance sound" from "downright gross and painful to hear." Seriously, I've heard some take off from parking lots and such that just had such a raspy, snappy-poppy-poopy noise that I've had to cover my ears to avoid hearing damage. WTF? There's no way in hell that can't be obnoxious to the 100th degree, even to the driver inside. That's not the sound of performance - that's the sound of poo. :mad:

Sadly, I can relate to the fact that how some cars sound on the inside is vastly different from how they sound outside, especially on imports and the like. I had a '94 Probe GT at one point that I'd put a Pacesetter cat-back on because it was the cheapest thing I could find/only exhaust I could afford to replace the rotted-out stock setup. On the inside, it sounded almost exactly the same as stock, except with just a tiny bit of added drone on the highway at cruise; outside, the day that I sold it to some kid, I wanted to vomit, because it sounded like a cross between a bumble bee sound and a kid with a card stuck in his bicycle spokes, both broadcast over a PA system. Ugh. Why didn't someone tell me before then that it sounded like so much ass? :bang:

Likewise, my buddy's '04 (or is it an '05? I forget...) Hyundai Tiburon GT sounds kinda like a Porsche on the inside, but when you step outside and he revs it ... yuck. His V6 suddenly sounds like a standard ricer four-banger. :notnice:

My Notch with Violators and an off-road X, on the other hand, sounds quite nice inside AND outside. :nice:

For the 2nd time in a week I have seen a Civic with Dual Fart Cans Hanging under the car, nothing like the extra weight and the awesome Sawzall cutting of the rear bumper let alone the horrible sounds coming out of it, YUCK!!!

i knew what he was getting at, just pointing out that if it has a 4" exhaust that doesnt mean its a ricer. i run a 4" exhaust but its only to move more air, not to piss people off.

see, and you are one of those few and rare people who have an import and actually know just what they're talking about. most people think cold air intake (though it does help) gives their car 100 more horsepwer.

i know a kid with a 96 grand prix (V6)...who thinks his car is high and mighty, then he puts a fart cannon on it and thinks it sound awesome. it sounded bad enough in the first place.

his car is so ''"un-performance"'' he and his friends wont race you....but they'll challenge you to a "rev-off".:rlaugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRX58ECBnWE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXX1z26Eyv0

just because you have a big coffee can out back doesnt mean you cant back it up. this is my personal car.

Nice ride and 500+HP makes for a great sleeper, I couldn't hear anything because my stupid computer doesn't have speakers anymore. But if there is a fart pipe on there, why not take it off and hide the sound of the car, make it sound stock? That would be the perfect FWD 4 banger car for me.

There's got to be a way to hide the sound and still keep some power. I'd do an electric cut-out so you can use a street muffler and go straight-pipe at the strip. :D "yeah it's stock... *cough*" then open up the cutouts and pull some crazy times lol

And if any of you guys lived in my town, you'd go nuts and hate EVERY 4 banger on the street too... There's so much rice around here, and maybe 1 out of 50 cars are fast (like in the 14's kind of "fast").

It's all an opinion and in theirs they sound good...

It's the same thing when you go to the track and see 13 second cars with open hearders. The open exhaust does NOTHING to make it faster, and just annoys the hell out of you. When I used to run my dads car a lot I couldnt even tell it was running half the time, and most of the cars that were open headered werent much if at all faster than his.

How about when a Mustang owner runs no mufflers, or resonators and an off road exhaust. To them it sounds good but to most other people I am sure it sounds awful. Everyone is different, and they happen to like that loud exhaust on a Prelude or Civic. I personally like loud exhaust on Mustangs and Vettes for the most part, but everyone has an opinion.

My ZX2 had a CAI, sounded okay from inside the car, on the outside you couldn't hear much since I left the stock exhaust on there. I wanted to put the SVT head on that engine. I've seen some mid 14 second ZX2's without much work done to them :D I would have NEVER added a fartsy muffler on the thing. I guess if you go Turbo, the turbo will reduce the noise level a little? :shrug: The only none N/A 4 banger I drove was the Ion Redline which is a freaking fun little car, yet it didn't sound nasty.

If I were to do something as silly as to try to hop up a four-cylinder's performance, the exhaust (or at least the muffler) would be the LAST thing on my list of priorities. I would want to keep that thing as subtle as possible (including the car's appearance), because there's almost no such thing as an inline-four that doesn't sound like poo with an uncorked exhaust - a boxer-four/flat-four is a different story, but that only applies to stuff like Subarus and Porsches.

But then again, 95% of the dudes dumping money into imports are more concerned with appearances than actual substance...

I need to get off my arse one of these days and actually get an updated video of my car. I do have some clips on Myspace, but they're from back when I was running a cat'ed UPR X-pipe and a Dynomax side-exit cat-back that I'd rigged up...