Ride height questions- Reverse eyes, oh my

hunterhicks

Dec 4, 2003
D/FW
After the mods listed below, the front sits at 23.5"

The question is about the rear, I have not started on it yet. Looking to cure the cat-in-heat look. As far as I know, it has re-arched springs circa 1993- it currently sits at 25"

I'm thinking mustang plus' 4.5 leaf reverse eye to get it levelish- thought being that the current springs might be a little worn down, so the 1.5" drop from the new springs will result in more like 1-1.25" drop. This is all just a hypothesis in my head.

Normal stance (non hi-po) is 26 1/3 front and 25 1/3 in the rear, according to internet sources... So that means the rear is supposed to be an inch lower than the front...

Is your front or rear lower? 23.5" all around gonna look good?

FYI- the new Hankook tires with their lower profile, lack of white wall, and being 14" look VERY small in the wheel well. They will do for now, but I don't suggest this tire size/wheel size setup...

65 GT Convertible
Granada disc swap (power)
Power steering
1" front sway bar
3/4" rear sway bar
Shelby drop
620 lb Springs, 1" drop
Rosehill adjustable strutrods
Mustang Steve's power steering to Granada spindle shim
KYB Gas-Adjust
195/60-14 Hankook Ventus R-S2
14" Styled Steel Wheels

• Sponsors (?)

Also looking for suggestions on shackles and such- poly, rubber, or something else? I'm not going with the $$$ global west ones- I need something that is a good street/strip combo- I want it to ride nice, but take corners well.

Also looking for suggestions on rear springs- I know Mustang's Plus- are there others?

You do NOT want poly shackle bushings. They squeak no matter what you do. Use rubber or the ($$$) Del-a-lums.

If you are going to run the car at the strip then I recommend 4.5 or 5 leaf rear springs. They resist wheel hop much better than the 4 leaf springs do. Won't hurt your handling but will be stiffer than 4 leaf so you might want to go a little softer on the shocks (like KYB GR-1 instead of Gas-a-justs).

Shocks

John at Opentracker said use KYB`s on the front, and softer shocks on the back, I went with grab a tracks for the rear my self. And I second the no polys on the shackles thing, I`ve heard that more then once.

I`d measure my stuff for ya, but motor is out, it looks like its #@t is dragging right now.

someone call the media, there is someone here who claims to have non-squeaking poly shackle bushings. This needs investigation because poly squeaks. I have new rear springs, new poly bushings with TONS of that white lithium grease and I get 3-5 days out of them before it sounds like I am packing a hundred lab rats in the trunk.

You do NOT want poly shackle bushings. They squeak no matter what you do. Use rubber or the ($$$) Del-a-lums.

You know I really hate these kind of blanket statements. Polyurethane squeaks all polyurethane squeaks no matter what you do. The truth is not all polyurethane is created equally and not every manufacture molds it correctly and not every one applies the correct compound to the correct location and the end user is to blame a lot of the time as well. Polyurethane is a great material and far superior to natural rubber when the correct compound is applied correctly. This is one of the reasons that modern cars are moving to more and more usage of polyurethane. There are compounds out today that have self lubrication materials added to modify there behavior. These materials include graphite Teflon and other additives that are intended to reduce the surface tension with a mated part. They are also changing the chain structure to reduce the resonance/ chatter/ squeak that is transmitted thought the material. I like Energy Suspension HYPER-FLEX material because of the particular way that they compound it but there are others on the market that are good as well. Having said that the Del-a-lums from GW are nice but over priced.:cheers:

I used Mobil 1 synthetic grease (red stuff) on my poly bushings and they don't squeek. I even have the poly shackle kit and they don't squeek. White grease doesn't work for me. I use the Mobil 1 on everything, works great on window rollers and tracks.