Rides like a hay wagon

Bliz35

May 10, 2011
hey guys, I just signed up for the forum. I was on a local one that did not make it. I have an 88GT that is very uncomfortable to drive. I know these are no cadillacs but I have had it 4 years and have not touched anything with the suspension. Looking for some suggestions on what direction to go to get the thing tightend up so it is more fun to drive. Looking for sporty, not full race so that its everyday driveable. Any suggestion helps!

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The obvious fix is new struts and shocks, which you should do, and good ones, too. You really, really get what you pay for in that department. But one thing that's often overlooked that makes a huge difference to ride quality is stiff old balljoints and tired old bushings.

I'd put a new set of FRPP A-arms on the front...boom, new bushings and balljoints come loaded in them. I'd inspect and replace the rear control arms/bushings as necessary, and I'd put a set of Bilstein struts and shocks on it.

Except those new A-arms are something like $399 a pair and they used to be about $200. So take the difference and put it toward a decent set of front coilovers, tubular A-arms, and caster/camber plates, and some adjustable-height rear lower control arms. You can adjust ride height to your heart's content, and you can cheaply and easily swap front spring rates.

He pretty much hit the nail on the head. I would suggest subframe connectors as well. Upper and lower control arms, with what was stated above you will be good. A strut tower brace and sway bars will help a bunch.

I personally run Steeda Sport springs, and I am pleased with them. No they probably aren't the best spring up there, but they improved my handling a bunch.

Thanks for the info on what to get, it sounds like that will tighten it up quite a bit. I will post up how it is coming along. Hope to get much of it on order this week.