Ridiculous vibration

Renob89gt

Apr 25, 2020
Ohio
So I have tried looking around and found a few different things but nothing quiet fitting for me.

1989 mustang GT 306 w/ svo heads and xcam explorer intake. Nothing overly crazy but I have a nasty vibration coming from the trans area/shifter as my rpms go up. You can begin to feel it around 2500 but really shows at 3k. This vibration comes whether I'm sitting in garage or driving down the street, with or without the clutch in. As I've worked on fixing the car up and done thing to it to help it be reliable and smooth I've kind of chased the vibration. I feel like I've covered all the basics that I read about in other posts Everything below I've done....
FRPP aluminum drove shaft w ujoints
New 3:73 gears
New clutch w/FRPP 50oz flywheel, new hearing with it.
New FRPP 50oz balancer
New Hurst shifter
Have electric fans
New wheels and tires balanced

Appreciate any input on ideas. Just wondering if it means rebuild/ new trans. Wife will really love hearing that.

• Sponsors (?)

I had a fan clutch go bad on my first fox years ago. Caused a real bad vibration that took me a while to track down also!
One day I happened to spin the fan by hand and saw it wobble. Changed the fan clutch.... no more vibration.
Worth a look.

Reactions: 1 users
It's only a guess but it's possible there is something amiss with the clutch/flywheel, hard to say without putting hands on it. Pilot bearing maybe, imput shaft in the trans, like I said hard to say.
If the pulleys are good, no balancer wobble, no engine miss that's the next logical area.

It's only a guess but it's possible there is something amiss with the clutch/flywheel, hard to say without putting hands on it. Pilot bearing maybe, imput shaft in the trans, like I said hard to say.
If the pulleys are good, no balancer wobble, no engine miss that's the next logical area.
By chance would rockers/lifters cause a vibration like that. I was under there today and it sounded to me like there may be some tapping going on. Not 100% sure as I'm not a great mechanic but could it be a cause?