Right turn clunk?

G.I.Slow

Oct 10, 2004
Clarksville, TN
I know these steering questions can be hard to answer on the net, but I thought I would give it a shot. I am terrible at tracking the cause of sounds coming from under the car. My problem is that whenever I turn right I hear one clunk during the turn. I have searched the site and it seems everyone says tie rods or ball joints. Another problem that could be related and useful info for troubleshooting this problem is, at full lock and very slow speeds I have a wobble at the front wheels ( kinda like a 4x4 at full lock). The front end is all stock and original. Thanks in advance.

Sean

• Sponsors (?)

Just going off the top of my head....

1) Tie rod end
2) ball joint
3) sway bar end link (only really noticable at higher speed)
4) bad / missing LCA bushings (noticable all the time)
5) Wheel bearing

The best advice that I can give you is to jack the car up in the air. Try wiggling the right wheel to see if you can get the ball joint to move. Next, take off the right front wheel and look around for anything broken.

srothfuss said:
Just going off the top of my head....

1) Tie rod end
2) ball joint
3) sway bar end link (only really noticable at higher speed)
4) bad / missing LCA bushings (noticable all the time)
5) Wheel bearing

The best advice that I can give you is to jack the car up in the air. Try wiggling the right wheel to see if you can get the ball joint to move. Next, take off the right front wheel and look around for anything broken.

kinda what he said, except the sway bar end like WILL do this turning corners slowly and over bumps at slow speeds. i know this cause i just had one snap on me a couple weeks ago. also give the ball joint a good look over, i had one snap on me in a parking lot and my front end hit the ground and my tire was resting on my fender well. not fun changing one of those in a parking lot, i needed 2 buddies to lift the car just so i could get a jack under it...... blah enough of my nonsense, check all thats listed above

Thanks for the replies. I was finally able to go jack up the front to look for loose stuff. Everything seemed fine until I got to the wheels. I shook them front to back and top to bottom. Front to back was fine but top to bottom was loose. They should be tight right? Does this indicate bad wheel bearings? Can this be the reason for the wobble and clunk? Thanks again for your help. Oh yeah, I also found out that my timing chain cover is leaking.:notnice:

Sean

Got the exact same problem on mine. Lower ball joints. Fifty bucks a pair at Autozone, but Moog's are far better ... but run about two hundred for a pair.

Double-check your wheel bearings, too, when you take it all apart, and make sure none of the rollers are buggered up.