Rim Locks on a 1993 Fox Body?

Silver95Stint

Oct 28, 2003
England
I went to change the tires today, and I realized the rims had locks on them. How can I get them off, or can I find a replacement key? When did they start making rim locks on the stock rims on a Fox Body? Any advice/suggestions/comments are greatly appreciate it and thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I had this problem once, and i ended up buying 4 sockets that would almost fit over the lock nut, and hammered them on and then got'em off that way. You might also wanna heat it up with a propane torch before hand to make it a bit easier. You're gonna waste 4 sockets that way but it worked for me, just get cheap sockets.

i can assure u this works.....
use an air hammar with a chizzle tip
create a place to lock in by hammaring straight down
then angle the hammar so that it will rotate the lug

I HAVE DONE THIS ON ALL 4 RIMS!!!

The pounding socket over nut trick works. Use a black one, not a chrome one. The air hammer trick works too, but only if you have a wheel where the center cap covers the lugs...example...96-97 Cobra wheels, stock 91-98 16" pony wheels. The air hammer trick will not work on say....95 Cobra R's, or 98 Cobra wheels...where the lugs are not covered.

Air hammer trick works but if you are not careful you will hurt the wheel. Sockets work but a waste of good tool money, and you dont want to use a torch unless your are really good. The best method and investment is to buy a wheel lock removal tool kit, it works perfect on many different sizes including round style and you can reuse it more than once. And the cost will be less than a handfull of sockets. :nice:

Stock pony wheels came w/ a wheel lock. Does it look like this?

lugnut.jpg

If so, then get a factory key and pull them off.

Attachments

• lugnut.jpg
    lugnut.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 764
Ford put factory locks on 87 and newer cars at least. Mine had them on the valuable 10 holes that came with it.

I've lost a couple of the keys before. My local Ford dealer has a master set of keys and they've taken them off for me twice now, and free of charge both times! If they look like the above locks, Ford probably has the keys in their service department.

As for the socket trick, I have to say I've done that too. I used a Craftsman socket and removed 3 of the locks with the same socket. I returned it for a free replacement socket and then removed the 4th lock.

Good luck on it!