Ring & Pinion Kit Part # ??

lobe50

Jan 3, 2007
Hi all

I have a complete rebuild kit here in the garage part # 5L3Z-4209-C. I beleive it was some type of repair kit for the 8.8's.

I just bought a 2007 GT/CS and was thinking of swapping the stock 3.31's I beleive w this kit and the 3.73's included.

1st ? I guess is .... Are all 8.8 ring & pinion set the same for all years?? This kit was going to go into my 1991 but I am now selling it since I got the 2007. So I was goona use them on the 07.

2nd is what is up w/ the newer gear sets on FMS web sit.. see below....

Replaces our popular M-4209-F373. New manufacturing technology utilizing a Face Hob Process which features a single-pass pinion tooth machining
operation compared to a conventional three-pass process for machining. CNC cut and lapped gear teeth. Higher strength and better quality gears are
produced with the Face Hob Process. NOTE: These new gears look a little different, the gear teeth are cut on a different angle and the ring gear has a
bevel on the back of the gear.

Should I sell the kit and get a set of these??? Are they that much better?
Or should I get 4.10's instead of 3.73's?? Manual Trans
Anyone have any feedback??

THANX

• Sponsors (?)

That part number you listed does have a 3.73 ring gear. As for the new gear sets from Ford thats what they are, new gear sets made with more modern procedures and materials then the gear sets before. Should you sell them? I never had any problems with the old style gear sets back in the d-zay. LOL