Fox Rock Auto price on steering rack correct??

BlakeusMaximus

Still got to try a little lube on my speedo head
5 Year Member
Jul 12, 2017
Rock auto has a steering rack for sale for $53.79 plus core. That can’t be right. LMR wants $339. What the hell? I bought a newer rack from a guy a while back but one side of it goes limp, the other stays in place wherever you move it. I don’t think I’m going to use it. Looked it up on rock auto and the prices vary from $53 all the way up to $396. What’s the deal?
C6FD4297-A354-4AB9-AA67-F07C3329636E.png

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Overboosted? Like driving a caddy? Why the hell is it so cheap?? I’ve never bought parts from rock auto.

Last edited:
I’ve had lots of luck with rock auto parts-there’s even a discount code in the vendor section here. They usually get ya on shipping on single item purchases.
I think the fox upgrade is a SN95/Cobra rack and the MM steering shaft

I’ve had lots of luck with rock auto parts-there’s even a discount code in the vendor section here. They usually get ya on shipping on single item purchases.
I think the fox upgrade is a SN95/Cobra rack and the MM steering shaft
Just looking for a stock replacement ragged. There’s a bunch to choose from on their site. Need some suggestions.

Reactions: 1 user
If one side goes limp I'd assume you're talking about where the inner tie rod end bends under the rack boot. If you are a quick inner tie rod end replacement will solve that issue.

The tie rod flopping up and down doesn't mean it's bad..... in and out play determined whether it's bad or not.

If one side goes limp I'd assume you're talking about where the inner tie rod end bends under the rack boot. If you are a quick inner tie rod end replacement will solve that issue.

The tie rod flopping up and down doesn't mean it's bad..... in and out play determined whether it's bad or not.
It’s leaking from the inner seal. I’m getting fluid out from the boots.

It isn’t a rockauto problem, it is a product of the remanufacturer (such as Cardone) rebuilding racks and not worrying about what is inside them.

You have the same issues at autozone or O’Reillys with a reman rack.

It isn’t a rockauto problem, it is a product of the remanufacturer (such as Cardone) rebuilding racks and not worrying about what is inside them.

You have the same issues at autozone or O’Reillys with a reman rack.
I didn’t buy a rock auto rack yet. I think my rack is original. I just want some advice on which one to buy from rock auto. My rack is leaking fluid.

If you look, RA usually divides their choices into different categories such as "factory replacement", "original equipment", "economy" etc. I assume that the cheaper racks are the economy and built with the lowest cost parts they can find. RA prices are great, but they will make up a lot of the price difference with their shipping.

Joe

I put a quick ratio rack in my old mustang and would never go back. It's in the new project also.

The feel is things better. Changing lanes is effortless. I can't remember the ratio for sure... but I think it's 2.5 to 1.

It all depends on the brand you select. Who knows what brand LMR is using, but you know it's not their own house brand. Is it a Cardone? WHo knows. It's like their gas tanks. They want $120+ or so for their gas tank, but rockauto.com has the spectra tanks for $90ish. LMR has a lot of parts, but I encourage people to shop around to get better deals. Rockauto.com has a lot of decent brand stuff (motorcraft, or moog) for example that with the 5% discount, tend to be good pricing.

I've never heard of that brand, so not sure i'd take a chance with it. Of the racks listed, i'd flip a coin between AC delco and Cardone personally. I have a cardone in my car.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
It all depends on the brand you select. Who knows what brand LMR is using, but you know it's not their own house brand. Is it a Cardone? WHo knows. It's like their gas tanks. They want $120+ or so for their gas tank, but rockauto.com has the spectra tanks for $90ish. LMR has a lot of parts, but I encourage people to shop around to get better deals. Rockauto.com has a lot of decent brand stuff (motorcraft, or moog) for example that with the 5% discount, tend to be good pricing.

I've never heard of that brand, so not sure i'd take a chance with it. Of the racks listed, i'd flip a coin between AC delco and Cardone personally. I have a cardone in my car.
Agreed. I've purchased a lot of Motorcraft parts off Rock Auto that were not available from the usual O'Reilly or Autozone.

That said, I put an AC Delco Professional fan cluch on my Mercury that didn't last 100 miles before it started leaking and making the car overheat again. I found a NOS Motorcraft unit on eBay and haven't looked back.

Reactions: 1 user
Just put the ac Delco Reman from rock in my car .

Actually keep forgetting to bring the core to post office

Attachments

• F680B37A-0061-47A1-B5B8-574E6BCA181F.jpeg
    F680B37A-0061-47A1-B5B8-574E6BCA181F.jpeg
    317.6 KB · Views: 174
Reactions: 2 users
Just put the ac Delco Reman from rock in my car .

Actually keep forgetting to bring the core to post office
Looks good toolow. I bought a replacement rack from a guy who had it installed in a car after further investigation. He made it look brand new, and even zip tied it all back up in a pristine ac Delco box. I’ve had it for about a year and a half, sitting on a shelf in my garage. I’m finally getting around to installing it and noticed I got screwed. The rag joint set screw in broken off in the shaft. The inner seals look like they are leaking and one of the inner tie rod ends is junk. The broken off set screw is tiny and I don’t know if I can get it out. I’m just going to start over with a new rack that I know doesn’t have any issues. Thanks for your input guys.

Something to keep in mind is that all those reman parts usually come out of the same place and just have different stickers on them. The expensive ones MIGHT be new as ive been seeing more and more repop parts, but the quality on them is usually even worse than a rebuilt oe.