Rocker Arms/lifters Ticking--help!!!

I have a 67 Cougar XR7 with a 1969 351w that only has about 2000 miles on the motor. It has a roller cam with tie-bar roller lifters. I'm having an issue with the lifters/rocker arms ticking and I can't get it to go away. It seems to tick once the engine is warmed up, but upon initial start-up I don't seem to notice it. The hotter the engine gets, the more they tick.
I had the rocker arm nuts turned 1/2 turn, so last weekend I tightened them another 1/4 turn to make it a total of 3/4 turn. Still ticking. So last night I tightened the nuts another 1/4 turn, for a total of 1 full turn. I drove the car and now I noticed the engine popping through the exhaust AND the rocker arms/lifters are still ticking. So I back it off 1/4 turn, back down to a total of 3/4 turn. It runs strong with no popping through the exhaust at this setting, but the lifters still tick.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Why do the rocker arms/lifters tick no matter how tight I have the rocker arm nuts? The oil pressure is 50#, so it's not low on pressure. I can't imagine the lifters are bad since they are pretty new (they have been doing this since the engine was rebuilt). It's not just one lifter/rocker arm ticking, they all tick. I took a picture of the rocker arm pattern on the valve and it seems the pushrod may be a little long, as the wear pattern starts in the center of the valve and rolls to about 3/4 the way across the far side of the valve (I attached a picture). But I doubt push rods being a little too long will cause ticking lifters/rocker arms. Am I wrong? I'm at a loss of what the problem could be. Any ideas guys???? Thanks for the advice....

Attachments

• 67 Cougar number 1 valve tightened 3 quarter turn.jpg
    67 Cougar number 1 valve tightened 3 quarter turn.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 241
  • Sponsors (?)

i had a 69 torino fast back that i put a 351 cleveland in .it ticked constantly to the point that i could no longer stand it and i sold it .i tried new lifters,adjustable rockers,oil pump they both ran a 45 pounds. i was told by the machine shop the cam bearings were probably installed incorrectly either causing an internal leak or a plugged passage and the lifters were not pumping up fully

Yep, I have slight valve tick with my new 340hp ford racing 302ci. I have had it looked at by a mechanic that is a "ford" guy, his diagnosis was to turn up the stereo.
Raising this post from the dead...I think I may have the same engine in my ‘65. When I first start the car, it sounds awesome. But once it reaches about 170 degrees, the tick starts. The harder I press on the gas, the faster the tick gets. And it’s definitely drowned out by having windows up and stereo on.
have you ever determined what this is? And is it damaging the car? Obviously I’d like To make it stop since it doesn’t sound cool, but I need to spend my money on other things right now if I’m not hurting the motor.

Just brag about and tell them you have a solid roller. My 5.0 in my old Morris Minor did not have any valve train noise with a Comp .512 lift cam and Comp roller rockers. You might have an oiling problem , you have the wrong geometry in the valve train. Take one of the rocker arms off and turn it upside down and check for marks. They can hit the valve spring retainer and cause a click. Can be cured by grinding a notch in the rocker arm.
Could be going into coil bind from too much lift and too short valve stem. Might need lash caps or longer valves
Spray foam the inside of your valve cover for sound deadening.:eek:

My 5.0 with a .565 lift cam and scorpion roller rockers sounds like a sewing machine, as did my previous 331 stroker. Its a pretty well known occurrence. if its just one or two lifters ticking, id say there's something going on.