Ron Morris Street Force vs TCP coilover

jabb

Dec 14, 2007
Hi, I hate to ask this again because I know theres a post just like this buried somewhere in the forums, but after a couple hours search I still haven't found it. If anybody could answer the following queries or link me to an older discussion that would be fantastic.

I'm trying to make a decision between the RMP street force and TCP coilover kits. I've been leaning more towards the RMP kit, but would love to hear some firsthand info on both. Also I noticed the TCP kit has waay more options as far as spring rates (from 310# to 750#) which brings up my other question: what spring rate would be best? I don't mind a fairly harsh ride if its making a noticeable improvement to handling, but I don't wanna be thrashing myself about excessively for no benefit. Car is a smallblock 67 coupe that I'd like to hold onto curvy roads.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I have 500lbs springs on my TCP coilovers, but I could probably have used 450lbs as well, as my engine (351W) has aluminum heads. The ride is perhaps a bit on the stiff side, but a lot better than the original suspension. You could email TCP Tech and have them recommend a spring rate for you.

My coil overs are very similar to the RMP design, and my spring rate is 400 lbs. With a relocated battery, aluminum heads, intake, water pump, and late model pwr steering pump and AC, I know I've knocked at least a hundred lbs off the nose. The 400lb springs are firm but not stiff or uncomfortable. If you have a lot of factory iron parts like the heads and intake, you might be able to use 450s. The beauty of the coil overs is that it's pretty easy to change the springs if you decide you want to experiment a little. If you have alum heads, intake and water pump, no AC or pwr steering and the battery's in the trunk on a 289/302, I'd start with 350s.

...what spring rate would be best?... Car is a smallblock 67 coupe that I'd like to hold onto curvy roads.

TCP Recommendation: 450 lb spring is fairly standard for a '67 small-block car. We don't step up to 500 lb unless its a big-block street car or small-block predominantly track car.

If you have additional TCP questions, fire away.

Lino (Chassisworks/TCP)

for what its worth. i still have the stock type springs (600#) with konis on my 66 with TCP arms and a bump steer kit from cobra auto. the car drives very nice and i have received comments from a couple alignment shops that this set up i have is the better choice. the shop mentioned other mustang owners had tried the coil over set up, but later switched back.

if you are looking to get the 'look' of the late model design fine, if not just stick with the original version. you and your car will be very happy. and you will have a few extra bucks in your pocket.

for what its worth. i still have the stock type springs (600#) with konis on my 66 with TCP arms and a bump steer kit from cobra auto. the car drives very nice and i have received comments from a couple alignment shops that this set up i have is the better choice. the shop mentioned other mustang owners had tried the coil over set up, but later switched back.

if you are looking to get the 'look' of the late model design fine, if not just stick with the original version. you and your car will be very happy. and you will have a few extra bucks in your pocket.

Why is it a better choice?

when i went through my design of my suspension, (double a-arm with the stock shock towers taking the vehicle load) i noticed a better wheel rate to spring rate ratio with a LCA mounted coilover . as well as a slighlty lower CG. the longer the shock the better since you avoid running the suspension at the extemes of the spring/shock length. also a coilver gives more suspension tuning abilites. even on a street car a LCA mounted shock spring is a better idea. Cost is the only downfall. as bolt in kits are expensive and if you do it urself there is a lot of time involved.