Rough Idle After Head Swap

sen2two

I've been lubing and pulling it all morning
Jul 18, 2013
So I just put on some gt40p heads with some 1.6 Roller rockers. I set them to zero lash. I did this by following this video.

View: https://youtu.be/3xM1v1HZ2Wg

I set TDC on piston 1 checking it two ways. Holding my thumb over the spark plug hole until I felt air pushing. Then by using a piece of aluminum TIG rod to feel the piston at its maximum height. At this point the balancer was just about at 0. So I bumped it until it zero. Figuring this would be as close to TDC as I could be.

Now when I started the car today, it started up on the first try. But the idle was very rough. I managed to clean it up a bit after adjusting the TPS and Fuel Pressure Regulator. But the idle is still rough. I do not hear excessive noise from the rockers. And it does start even time. But it sounds as if it backfires through the intake every now and again. Not loud and not consitent... Not sure if it's actually doing that though. I put the timing light on it and it was at the 14° Mark I set it at many months ago.

I did not remove the distributor during this work. I don't really think I could be 180 out, but I could be wrong? Does anyone think this may be the issue?

• Sponsors (?)