Rough idle....stalling....not starting....

Unreal281

Dec 18, 2004
Alright guys....here is the scoop. I have a 2000 GT and i'm about to break it....it is frustrating me to the point of no return right now....as some of you may know in my previous threads, i am throwing a few engine codes.....one is for my lack of MILs which is being taken care of....and the other is apparently for my IAC.
PROBLEMS:
The car sometimes will not start at all for me in the garage. I'll go out to start it or take it around town for a couple of minutes....and i have to literraly beat the piss out of it for it to "clear up" and run properly. Also, if i'm lucky enough to get it to start in the garage.....i have to rev the crap out of it until it can maintain its own idle without the assistance of my foot. This is REALLY getting annoying...the car has also just "randomly" shut off on me a few times while driving at slow speeds or sitting still at a red light...and "bogged" out. To be more specific, the code I am throwing is P1507 Manf Cntrl Veh. Spd. Idle Speed Cntrl. Auxiliary Inputs I'm at the end of the road right now and i'm not paying one more person to tell me to just use STP fuel treatment and get back to them....how the HELL do i fix this? It has 43,000 miles on it right now and its been doing this stuff since 29,000 miles. It has been doing this WAY before the long tubes and full intake....although it has gotten worse after the install of my parts....BTW, I just removed my IAC about an hour ago, and i'm gonna get some carb cleaner from my neighbor tomorrow and try it out....but for some odd reason i feel that the problem is a little bit deeper than just some gunk on the sides of my IAC.....PLEASE help me....:bang:

• Sponsors(?)

the98stang

Aug 12, 2005
Clovis, CA
Unreal281 said:
Alright guys....here is the scoop. I have a 2000 GT and i'm about to break it....it is frustrating me to the point of no return right now....as some of you may know in my previous threads, i am throwing a few engine codes.....one is for my lack of MILs which is being taken care of....and the other is apparently for my IAC.
PROBLEMS:
The car sometimes will not start at all for me in the garage. I'll go out to start it or take it around town for a couple of minutes....and i have to literraly beat the piss out of it for it to "clear up" and run properly. Also, if i'm lucky enough to get it to start in the garage.....i have to rev the crap out of it until it can maintain its own idle without the assistance of my foot. This is REALLY getting annoying...the car has also just "randomly" shut off on me a few times while driving at slow speeds or sitting still at a red light...and "bogged" out. To be more specific, the code I am throwing is P1507 Manf Cntrl Veh. Spd. Idle Speed Cntrl. Auxiliary Inputs I'm at the end of the road right now and i'm not paying one more person to tell me to just use STP fuel treatment and get back to them....how the HELL do i fix this? It has 43,000 miles on it right now and its been doing this stuff since 29,000 miles. It has been doing this WAY before the long tubes and full intake....although it has gotten worse after the install of my parts....BTW, I just removed my IAC about an hour ago, and i'm gonna get some carb cleaner from my neighbor tomorrow and try it out....but for some odd reason i feel that the problem is a little bit deeper than just some gunk on the sides of my IAC.....PLEASE help me....:bang:

IAC's will cause that sh1tty idle...

Unreal281

Dec 18, 2004
I totally understand that as being a major factor...i'm just saying, there is no way in hell that i'm the only GT owner that has all of these crazy ass symptoms...any suggestions, comments,.....?

RedBullitt

Jul 7, 2004
Morgantown WV
maybe one or more of your coils are bad... they usually throw random misfire codes or something along those lines. you dont have any codes for them, but i will tell you though, bad coil/s will make your car run like ass much like you are describing. the messed coils really made my car sad... water getting there causes corrosion and buildup kills their conductivity on the little springs etc under the rubber cover. maybe check them for corrosion, clean them, and the dielectric grease them. they are easy to get out and check with little more than a socket and extension. i am leaning toward your iac being at least a good part of the issue, but if that does not help your problem it cant hurt to check the coils and plugs. hell, seafoam is great stuff just like everyone says and it never hurts to try it as well.

Wiredawg1

Nov 25, 2002
Florida
Visit site
My 01 GT was having the exact same symptoms as you're having. Changed IAC valve and problems were gone. The hardest part about replacing that thing is handing the money to the parts guy. :nice:

Unreal281

Dec 18, 2004
Aight guys....thanx for all of your help with this whole ordeal....I just got back from the auto parts store with my new IAC....(50$) it looks great and appears to be a quality peice....this actually came with a gasket as well....just installed it and walked up the stairs to get on stangnet....i started the car and it acted funny for a bit....then i gave it a few small revs and held it at 2000 rpms for a sec....it gave off a "new hot metal" smell, if you know what i mean....and then it held its own idle. it seems to be ok now.....considering it can actually hold its own idle....which is good. Tomorrow i am going to pick up my MIL eliminators, and install them....that should take care of both of my codes.....thanx alot guys

BTW, should i just disconnect my batt. cable for a few minutes so the computer can reset and realize that i have the new IAC and MILs? again....thank you for all of your help guys

-late

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PJalbanesi Idle Surging 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 15
D 1991 Gt Foxbody Rough Idle/stalls 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 8
M 2001 Rough Idle, Hesitancy, Stalling On Coast SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 0
T 88 5.0 Ho Convertible Rough Idle Stall Backfire Issue Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 31
ratio411 Weird Tuning Issue.... Rough Idle, Trys To Stall On Right Turns. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
02 Sonic Blue 93 Octane Leading To Rough Idle And Near Stalling? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
S Rough Idle/Put into gear and stalls Classic Mustang Specific Tech 3
P Stalling and rough idle after spark plug and wire change Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 16
elcapitan22 intial startup rough idle and stall with eec clip in Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
garystocker Fixed stalling, missing, rough idle, surprise result. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
No.11 rough idle, hard to get going, wants to stall in lower RPMs Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
killer5.0 5.0 manual...stalls when coming to a stop or quick deceleration...also rough idle... Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 23
D 96 mustang v6, stalling, rough idle, lost of acceleration SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 0
D Rough Idle and Stall problem 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 5
P Rough idle and stalling Classic Mustang Specific Tech 5
P 87 5.0 maf rough idle stall Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
93silverlx50 Engine Car in limp mode, fuel spitting out of tailpipes, missing rough idle Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
C Engine Gray smoke from exhaust. Smells like gas. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 15
R Engine My 95 gt idling rough 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 5
MSTNGGRL1995 Rough, loping idle and random attempts to die 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 1
K Engine New Built Engine - Rough Start and Idle Surge Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
E 2010 Mustang GT - randon, intermittent, fresh hard starts with rough idle. 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 0
B Cold Start Rough Idle Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
Xenogenesis Engine Idles rough, misfires at idle, smells rich, but codes say it's lean on both banks SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 9
S Installed new intake and now car idles rough and turns off 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 7
T Engine 1994 mustang gt Rough idle, misfire under acceleration 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 2
evintho Engine '93 running rough, especially at low rpm's and idle. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
D 1994 V6 rough idle after head rebuild 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 0
90-06stangs Rough idle. 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 7
J 04 GT New intake manifold and car now has a rough idle 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 5
P Just arrived with a 1965 289 and a 1973 Mach I - and a vacuum leak solved The Welcome Wagon 1
0 2003 Ford Mustang V6 3.8L gets around 12mpg and seems to shake a bit when started cold and has a bad rough idle when warm SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 5
L Engine Rough Idle at Start, Possible CMCV Vacuum Leak 2015+ Specific Tech 0
N Engine Rough idle Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
P 1995 GT 302 5.0 with rough idle and weird behavior (with video) 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 1
D Engine Vacuum problem Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 14
COramprat 2002 GT Intermettant rough idle and shut down SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 4
S Rough idle fixed! 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
L 88 gt rough idle smell of fuel white smoke out of exhaust Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 13
8 Rough idle and Steering Column vibration at idle and start. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 32
H Mustang running rough 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 3
D 98 Rough idle and ride after motor and tranny mounts SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 2
C 2003 3.8 rough idle and shake 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 1
M Engine Foxbody 5.0L idling rough/backfires after HCI swap Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
9 Help with random rough idle 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 5
J rough idle and very slight miss SVT Tech Forum 2
A 98 GT 4.6L SOHC Rough Idle/ Misfire (Vacuum Leak) Help Please. 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 4
P Engine 2002 mustang V6 rough idle in gear at low RPMs SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 2
9 Need Help with a Rough Idle/Coolant Loss Problem SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 3
I 96 Mustang V6 Help SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 0