Engine Rough idle, surging

saskboy

Dec 12, 2020
canada
I swapped a 89 5.0 into a 96 Ranger, stock block except Eddy perf rpm heads and TFS stage 1 cam, pistons notched for 2.02 valves. I repaired some memory codes, repaired trace in pcm between pin 46 and 40/60 now koer codes 33-44-84-94. Mostly related to egr and canp, no emissions test here. The problem is very rough idle stalls at times, seems very rich although no code 42.I'm not driving it yet, more work needed. Compression good, no vacuum leaks found, plugs new, gap .052, fuel press 39/30, approx
1 psi drop in 5min. I'm wondering if the Ford 70mm maf would help, the F2VF-A1A orA2A. That seems to work most of the time. Oh, I put in injectors F2TE-A3A, I don't remember where I got them, maybe Explorer.

• Sponsors (?)

Those injectors are to small for the power your setup should make, but it should idle fine with them. What MAF are you currently using?

Running through the surging idle check list would be a good start.

I found a maf F2VF A1A from a lincoln, I also found out that a mass air car uses a BP sensor not a MAP sensor, so I found one on a Tbird turbo coupe, appears to be same as mustang. I installed both and seems to run better, not perfect, needs wiring clean up. With TFS stage 1 cam and Eddy perf rpm heads and different BP and MAF, should idle be close to stock?