Rough Ride - Normal?

DonRich90

Oct 11, 2006
Today I test drove a used Mustang that I am considering buying from a local Ford dealer. It is a '98 GT with 111,000 miles and automatic transmission. The car is in very good condition and the engine and drivetrain are very smooth. It appears to have been well maintained.
The one negative thing I noticed was a somewhat rough ride. It feels like it is constantly riding over small rumble strips. It isn't a major issue but it is irritating after driving my Sable wagon. Is this type of sensation normal because of the stiffer suspension and low profile tires (It has matching B.F. Goodrich tires that are evenly worn with a fair amount of tread depth) or do you think something may be wrong?
I love the Mustang and, not being any type of mechanic, I'm concerned that it could have a serious problem that could be an expensive fix.
Thanks.
Don

• Sponsors (?)

Good chance it is worn shocks and struts. But keep in mind a mustang does ride a little rougher than a typical passenger car. It is what allows us as drivers to push the cars further and tell what is going on at the road surface.

If the stock shocks and struts were worn out it would be more mushy
and bouncy than rough, push down on the front and then the rear of the car
if it bounces more than 1 time they are worn, but if the car stops on the first
bounce they are good. the original owner may have replaced them with
stiffer than stockers, or your air pressure in your tires may be too high.
should be about 32lbs.

I did not mean that literally. What I really meant to say was that the stock Mustang shocks and struts are garbage and should be replaced as soon as possible...

And after 111k they have GOT to be toast.

streethorse said:
If the stock shocks and struts were worn out it would be more mushy
and bouncy than rough, push down on the front and then the rear of the car
if it bounces more than 1 time they are worn, but if the car stops on the first
bounce they are good. the original owner may have replaced them with
stiffer than stockers, or your air pressure in your tires may be too high.
should be about 32lbs.
Sorry but the "bounce more than one time" method does not work with Mustangs. It works with cars designed to have a smooth ride but Mustang springs are way to stiff for that.

Try the Kilgore method instead: "If they are stock they need to be replaced."

Keep in mind its a solid axle car too. Tend to be a little rough and there's some side-to-side movement on these cars too when you hit ridges and tracks, etc.

If you're concerned but really like the car, have the chassis inspected for frame damage, etc. Odds are new shocks will help it, but also may need new bushings, etc after that many miles, could be rotten to the core.

Reactions: 1 user
Kilgore Trout said:
Sorry but the "bounce more than one time" method does not work with Mustangs. It works with cars designed to have a smooth ride but Mustang springs are way to stiff for that.

You must be too weak, Ive done the test and it works, when I had my 99 the
rear shocks were really mushy at 50k, really easy to push down and watch it bounce 3 or 4 times, but the struts were still good, I replaced front and rear
with KYB nonadjustables, and found they were much stiffer than stock, no
more bounce at all. My 04 has only 15k now and they are still nice and firm.
I recently was driving a F-150 06 (new) and it rode like sheot way rougher
than my GT.

I think a major point everyone is missing, is that this guy is comparing the ride to his "Sable wagon". The ride may very well be normal. For all we know it may have brand new shocks and struts. To the original poster, there is no way that anyone on here can diagnose the quality of the ride over the internet. My best advice would be drive another mustang on the lot, and compare it to that.

Sh1t.... this motor has nearly 115k miles and you guys are worried about the shocks and struts :rlaugh: ? That's the LEAST of his worries about this car.

If I were you, I'd have the car compression tested. You should also have a mechanic check the oil pressure. Last thing you want to do is buy a car that has bad valves or piston rings.

New struts and shocks won't do you any good if the motor is shot. C'mon people...these are Fords were dealing with:rolleyes:

the98stang said:
Sh1t.... this motor has nearly 115k miles and you guys are worried about the shocks and struts :rlaugh: ? That's the LEAST of his worries about this car.

If I were you, I'd have the car compression tested. You should also have a mechanic check the oil pressure. Last thing you want to do is buy a car that has bad valves or piston rings.

New struts and shocks won't do you any good if the motor is shot. C'mon people...these are Fords were dealing with:rolleyes:

I have 115k on my motor. Supercharged since 80k. I still got 175 psi on my last compression test, and my hot idle oil pressure is 45psi.:shrug: I think these motors hold up pretty damn good.

the98stang said:

Go back and re-read the first post...

Kilgore Trout said:

:nice:

i would have to agree with your philosophy :)

Kilgore Trout said:
Go back and re-read the first post...

Umm...all he says is "it appears that it was well maintained". I was just recommending that he have the car checked out by a mechanic before buying it. And if he already did that, more power to him.

I know he was concerned about the ride quality. I was just making sure he got the engine checked out too...

jstreet0204 said:
I have 115k on my motor. Supercharged since 80k. I still got 175 psi on my last compression test, and my hot idle oil pressure is 45psi.:shrug: I think these motors hold up pretty damn good.

Well I didn't say 115k miles on an engine meant that it was going to explode soon. It's just a good idea to have any used car compression tested before buying. If you don't, you might end up with a POS.

DonRich90 said:
Today I test drove a used Mustang that I am considering buying from a local Ford dealer. It is a '98 GT with 111,000 miles and automatic transmission. The car is in very good condition and the engine and drivetrain are very smooth. It appears to have been well maintained.
The one negative thing I noticed was a somewhat rough ride. It feels like it is constantly riding over small rumble strips. It isn't a major issue but it is irritating after driving my Sable wagon. Is this type of sensation normal because of the stiffer suspension and low profile tires (It has matching B.F. Goodrich tires that are evenly worn with a fair amount of tread depth) or do you think something may be wrong?
I love the Mustang and, not being any type of mechanic, I'm concerned that it could have a serious problem that could be an expensive fix.
Thanks.
Don

could be a few things. As mentioned, it could be that the shocks and struts need to be replaced. If the ride height is stock, then even with 110k+ miles, they're definitely no good by now... if the car was lowered on stock shocks/struts, then those things probably should have been replaced 50k miles ago. The other thing is it could be tire balance, warped wheel, warped rotors (that would be side to side shaking though), and a tire might even have a flat spot on it. These are all things to consider.

Just one other thing you should think about - should it be the case that the shocks/struts are the stock ones and are shot, then I would venture to guess that this car wasn't maintained as well as you think.