Rough Ride - Normal?

• Sponsors (?)

I have the same issue with my 1997 Cobra. I never had a sports car before, so I don't know what to expect with the ride. I replaced the shocks/struts, and it still rides really rough over the smallest bumps. Someone put a lowering spring on the car. If someone knows about lowering springs, they're green, made in Germany, Neuspeed 55.20.22R. I called the company, and they said they don't even make springs for Mustangs. This spring is for a Honda, they told me. I'm considering changing the springs, to see if that will help. I may just do coilovers, I'm not sure yet. Any suggestions?

You need the right springs.
My 91 came with MM blue lowering springs. It rode and handled like a go cart. It was god on smooth track like surfaces only. I switched to FMS B springs. I like the stance, a lityle more driveway clearance, and the progressive springs ride much better. The first time I went into a hard curve, it actually leaned some then set in. It was a surprise, but has not been a problem since then. It is not a Grand Marquis ride quality, but I can go on the highway without knocking internal organs loose.

What are your goals for the car? Suspension is one of those things that you get what you pay for, and maybe people have subjective tastes as to what is acceptable in terms of ride quality.

hate to say it, but many suspension setups for the mustang cater to looks (lowering) and performance so they tend to be tougher than OEM. When you changing the suspension on these cars, it snowballs into needing more and more parts to correct what’s you’ve changed. (Ie. Caster camber plates, bumpsteer kits, adjustable upper arms to correct pinion angke, etc. )

your springs are the cause of your trouble, and I do remember Neuspeed selling mustang springs 20 years ago. The issue is likely the spring rates were too stiff for the struts/shocks causing them to fail. You want to find a spring that doesn’t lower it too much, and has rates that aren’t excessively stiff. Then you want a proper damper to control the spring.

it is possible to make a suspension setup that handles and rides well. My maximum motorsports coil-overs ride better than any conventional spring setup I’ve ever run, but it wasn’t a cheap package.

What are your goals for the car? Suspension is one of those things that you get what you pay for, and maybe people have subjective tastes as to what is acceptable in terms of ride quality.

hate to say it, but many suspension setups for the mustang cater to looks (lowering) and performance so they tend to be tougher than OEM. When you changing the suspension on these cars, it snowballs into needing more and more parts to correct what’s you’ve changed. (Ie. Caster camber plates, bumpsteer kits, adjustable upper arms to correct pinion angke, etc. )

your springs are the cause of your trouble, and I do remember Neuspeed selling mustang springs 20 years ago. The issue is likely the spring rates were too stiff for the struts/shocks causing them to fail. You want to find a spring that doesn’t lower it too much, and has rates that aren’t excessively stiff. Then you want a proper damper to control the spring.

it is possible to make a suspension setup that handles and rides well. My maximum motorsports coil-overs ride better than any conventional spring setup I’ve ever run, but it wasn’t a cheap package.

All I'm looking for is a decent ride, that's not jarring. Right now, If the road is not really smooth, the ride is not enjoyable at all. I don't mind purchasing a good set of lowering springs, but I just don't to want make a purchase like that, and still have a horrible ride. I don't know what to expect. Also, I may not like the stance. Maybe too low, or not low enough, so, I'm leaning more towards EIbach coilovers.

Shocks, struts and springs play a major role in how the car feels on the road. But, it's also worth looking at your bushings. If they are the OEM rubber bushings, they are most likely worn out. Do you have rubber/poly isolators on your springs? Old bushings, stiff poly bushings and not having isolators will make the suspension feel jarring.

What shocks and struts did you put on the car? Many aftermarket shocks and struts are stiffer than stock. Often, people will compound ride quality issues by using stiff shocks and struts, springs that are too low and too stiff, and bushings that are more suited for performance driving than street driving.

If you don't plan on using the car for autocross or track, there are les expensive ways to improve ride quality than installing coil overs. A good set of adjustable shocks and struts (Koni Yellow Single Adjustable), a progressive rate spring like the Ford Performance B springs. and new rubber suspension bushings will make the car more comfortable for daily driving and cruising.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Shocks, struts and springs play a major role in how the car feels on the road. But, it's also worth looking at your bushings. If they are the OEM rubber bushings, they are most likely worn out. Do you have rubber/poly isolators on your springs? Old bushings, stiff poly bushings and not having isolators will make the suspension feel jarring.

What shocks and struts did you put on the car? Many aftermarket shocks and struts are stiffer than stock. Often, people will compound ride quality issues by using stiff shocks and struts, springs that are too low and too stiff, and bushings that are more suited for performance driving than street driving.

If you don't plan on using the car for autocross or track, there are les expensive ways to improve ride quality than installing coil overs. A good set of adjustable shocks and struts (Koni Yellow Single Adjustable), a progressive rate spring like the Ford Performance B springs. and new rubber suspension bushings will make the car more comfortable for daily driving and cruising.I

If you don't plan on using the car for autocross or track, there are les expensive ways to improve ride quality than installing coil overs. A good set of adjustable shocks and struts (Koni Yellow Single Adjustable), a progressive rate spring like the Ford Performance B springs. and new rubber suspension bushings will make the car more comfortable for daily driving and cruising.
I'm not using the car on a track, not even a daily driver. It's in the garage, unless the weather is nice. I replaced the lower control arms, and bushings. When I replaced the control arms and shocks I installed poly isolators, and I put in KYB excel-G shocks. I will look into the Koni shocks, and the ford performance springs too. Thanks

I'm not using the car on a track, not even a daily driver. It's in the garage, unless the weather is nice. I replaced the lower control arms, and bushings. When I replaced the control arms and shocks I installed poly isolators, and I put in KYB excel-G shocks. I will look into the Koni shocks, and the ford performance springs too. Thanks
Also, I was thinking of coilovers, just in case I don't like the ride height of the lowering springs.

Also, I was thinking of coilovers, just in case I don't like the ride height of the lowering springs.

Coil overs will allow you to go lower than a stock-style spring setup. But, there is always a point (with either setup) at which the car gets so low that handling and ride quality suffer. With stock-style springs, you also have the option to raise the front ride height with Steeda spring spacers. If you find a spring that has the right rate, but lowers the car more than you want, you can raise the front a little.

KYB shocks/struts are not known to be great riding. Poly isolators will firm up the ride a bit as well. Those are probably two strikes against you if you are looking to improve ride comfort. So you really need to decide what level of comfort and handling/looks you are looking to get as it's tough to get the best of both worlds without dropping a lot of money into high end suspension parts.

Definitely look into better shocks/struts. the KYB's may not be up to the task of handling the higher spring rates found on many aftermarket springs. I did run the Ford Racing springs for a while and wasn't a fan of them. It rode rough. Then I had Eibach springs and those were worse. I later changed the springs to OEM Bullitt springs (same shocks/struts) and the ride was MUCH better and very comfortable and yet handling didn't seem all that affected. I later switched to maximum motorsports coil-overs (with bilstien struts/shocks) and it was hands-down the best riding setup I've ever done on a Mustang to date. It's just not cheap. Definitely do your research here, but these are my opinions over what I've done to my cars over the last 20 years or so.

If I had to do it all over again and go with a conventional spring setup, I would look into H&R sport springs or the Max Motorsports Road and Track springs and talk to Maximum motorsports about what shock/spring combo would rival a good OEM feel to it.

Given how much I liked how my OEM bullitt springs rode (the only thing I didn't like was the ride height: too high) I would probably lean towards the MM road and track springs, but I would talk to MM tech first.

I had a 2003 GT i bought brand new. These cars actually rode quite well when they were new.

KYB shocks/struts are not known to be great riding. Poly isolators will firm up the ride a bit as well. Those are probably two strikes against you if you are looking to improve ride comfort. So you really need to decide what level of comfort and handling/looks you are looking to get as it's tough to get the best of both worlds without dropping a lot of money into high end suspension parts.

Definitely look into better shocks/struts. the KYB's may not be up to the task of handling the higher spring rates found on many aftermarket springs. I did run the Ford Racing springs for a while and wasn't a fan of them. It rode rough. Then I had Eibach springs and those were worse. I later changed the springs to OEM Bullitt springs (same shocks/struts) and the ride was MUCH better and very comfortable and yet handling didn't seem all that affected. I later switched to maximum motorsports coil-overs (with bilstien struts/shocks) and it was hands-down the best riding setup I've ever done on a Mustang to date. It's just not cheap. Definitely do your research here, but these are my opinions over what I've done to my cars over the last 20 years or so.

If I had to do it all over again and go with a conventional spring setup, I would look into H&R sport springs or the Max Motorsports Road and Track springs and talk to Maximum motorsports about what shock/spring combo would rival a good OEM feel to it.

Given how much I liked how my OEM bullitt springs rode (the only thing I didn't like was the ride height: too high) I would probably lean towards the MM road and track springs, but I would talk to MM tech first.

I had a 2003 GT i bought brand new. These cars actually rode quite well when they were new.
Lots of good information. I'm pretty sure I'm going with coilovers. I want a soft ride with the ability to control ride height. I don't want to buy lowering springs, and be disappointed with the ride height. I'm prepared to spend around $1200 for the coilovers. I'm just trying to do some research to figure out which ones I will be happy with. It would be nice to get some with caster/camber plates included. I will also probably install a bump steer kit. Thanks for the information.

I think I was closer to $2k for my Maximum Motorsports setup.

I would also recommend subframe connectors as well, if you don't have them
Yep, probably by the time I buy the caster/camber plates if not included, and bump steer kit, you're probably right. Why would I need subframe connectors? I only drive this car in good weather, no track. I drive it fast occasionally of course, but that's about it. It lives in the garage, unless the weather is nice.

SFC's aren't necessary here in the context of what you are doing with your suspension, but they are recommended.

Here's why. These cars aren't very stiff. While the Sn95's are stiffer than the fox predecessors, there is body flex. The SFC's stiffen up the body further, which means when you hit a bump, the suspension of the car absorbs the bump, vs the body flex absorbing part of it. This translates to less squeaks and rattles and makes the car feel more solid over bumps. It really is a night and day difference.