rough ride.

Bree

Jan 12, 2021
Zanesville Ohio
Back when I was young and fun, I put sub-frame connectors and tubular trailing links on the Indian Outlaw, planing ahead for the day when I would throw a little bit of power adding goodies at it. This vastly improved the launch and back then I was willing to sacrifice the ride quality for that.
Now that I'm a cranky old bitty, all that stiffening about shakes the fillings out of my teeth! So I was wondering, if I replaced the coil springs with air bags, could I soften the ride for going to church on Sunday, and then with a flick of a switch on the dash or something, stiffen it back up again if I need to teach some whipper-snapper in a rice burner a lesson at the traffic light?
Or do air bags not work that way?
Other options?
Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Doesn't quite work that way. The airbag kits still use a damper. The air bag simple controls the ride height, and the damper would control the stiffness. If the dampers are valved aggressively, they want to stop all motion as quickly as possible, which leads to the harsh ride. Great for handling though. Same goes for suspension components. As you replace all those bits with soft rubber bushings, to parts with spherical or urethan bushings, the ride becomes more harsh.

You really can't have your cake and eat it too.

You could change your suspension parts though. Do you know what's on it now for springs/shocks

Factory coil springs, the shocks I think are stock except the driver's front, which is a Gabriel. The shocks are due for replacement, as one of them has a slight leak.
Hey, Rancho had a shock for trucks that you could adjust for on and off road. Problem is you had to get out and crawl under to throw the switch.

Last edited:
I think better quality shocks/struts would be first on your list. If they are original they probably aren't controlling the spring or the valving isn't working properly resulting in the harsh ride.

Strange does have some 10-way adjustable shocks/struts, but you do need to crawl under to adjust. Koni had some that come be adjusted from the top, but not sure they are around anymore.

I don't want to misrepresent what this will do for the car however. You aren't going to get a Caddy smooth ride from any suspension setup you end up with. My Maximum motorsport coil-overs ride great, but it's still a rough ride overall.

Stock springs, yes, low profile tires no. Tires are whatever size it came on from the factory. Cooper Touring.

Attachments

• tire.jpg
    tire.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 31
A fox with warn out struts, shocks on factory springs and factory height tires is really the softest you'll get in that car honestly.. everything else is geared more towards performance where it stiffens up the suspension more. If you replace those struts and shocks with factory replacements lets say, it'll get a firmer stiffer ride then it mostly is now.

I got all four shocks/struts from Gabrial, and didn't really notice and difference. Wish I had subframes.
They are just a factory replacement part so they won't be stiffer than factory parts in same condition. You really should have subframes connectors man, they change the whole feel of the car especially in a convertible

The biggest reason I don't is because I don't like paying people to work on my car. I will probably will buy a welder at some point from HF. No real deals in Sarasota for that stuff, and for the price of labor I can have a welder. I already have a couple things that need it. I want to know if Bree will be wrestling that giant strut bolt.

By now, the stock bushings could look worse than Keith Richards and be in far worse shape. If you have metal to metal, it will ride very roughly. New rubber bushings and Monroe OEM Spectrum shocks and struts will have it riding much like new. Avoid KYB shocks. They have been rough riding for some time.

The biggest reason I don't is because I don't like paying people to work on my car. I will probably will buy a welder at some point from HF. No real deals in Sarasota for that stuff, and for the price of labor I can have a welder. I already have a couple things that need it. I want to know if Bree will be wrestling that giant strut bolt.
Yes, but have you had welding lessons? Welding isn't as easy as the pros make it look! Get it to hot hand you can burn a hole in something, or not hot enough and you have a poor bond. Then you need a steady hand to get a smooth consistent bead for maximum strength. There's a a reason good welders get a premium for their craft.
And yes, I probobly will take the bolt off myself. I have a 16in breaker bar. If I can't get it with that, then I'll take an impact to it! Work smarter, not harder!

Reactions: 1 users
Bree,
I took a bunch of guff on here for badmouthing subframe connectors
Your current issue is the main reason for my dislike
There is always someone who wants to go racing
Sell your baby and buy another more snuggly one
? Nothing about the subframe connectors is making her have the issue she’s having or describing .

• Agree
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users
How is the rest of suspension bushing wise ? Arms , strut mounts , rear arm bushings ?

Something you can adjust as mentioned would be strange 10 way shocks and struts . You’d have to get under and turn each knob , not a big deal until you get it where you want or find it best . It will always be a Fox and drive like one though .