Rough Start And High Idle

JamesD87

Feb 25, 2014
Hey guys, I just got a 2000 GT with a 4.6 and a 5 speed manual transmission. Whenever I start the car it will start, immediately die, and after it dies it will backfire. It will generally do that one time and then it will start right up and run fine. Also, the idle is a little off I think. When its sitting it will idle just fine. If I drive it and then come to a stop it will idle at about 1500 for a little bit and then eventually come back down to normal (around 850-1000) Is this normal or is there something going on there?

I have read that the cam position sensor can cause the first issue but is that related to my idle problem or could that be something else? IAC maybe? I am pretty handy with cars but most of the work I have done has been on a Wrangler which is like the polar opposite of the mustang.

Any help you guys could give is greatly appreciate. Also, if you need more info just let me know because this is my first mustang so I am completely new to all of this.

• Sponsors (?)

Check for vacuum leaks. Especially around the PCV valve.

Before digging into to this, do yourself a favor and have the alternator tested for excessive AC ripple (bad diode). NEVER replace the cam sensor until the alternator has been confirmed good.

Today's cars simply will not run right without a strong battery and charging system.

Then trouble shoot the problem. Here's some information to get you started.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/troubleshoot-iac-idle-problems-1996-2004.13/

One other thing I forgot to mention is that when driving if I get up to about 3k rpm's the battery light will come on but as soon as I shift the light goes away. I know the battery itself is good because I just put a brand ew one in about 2 days ago. So the alternator could be the cause of the starting issue and potential vacuum leak for the idle problem?

So the alternator could be the cause of the starting issue and potential vacuum leak for the idle problem?
See previous post. Again today's cars will simply NOT run right without a strong battery and charging system. Do yourself a favor by not cutting corners. Even if no problem is found, in the end it's soooooo much smarter to start with a known good charging system.

Battery light comes on at higher RPM's is a sign of bad alternator brushes.

Alright so I got out there for a little while today and the vacuum hose to the pcv is all dry rotted and cracking and leaking. So I am going to change that and look into getting a new alternator.