I'm installing a Rockford Fosgate amp in my 1997 GT, and decided to follow their recommendations and use their wiring kit. It includes a heavy gauge power cable with inline fuse, which connects directly to the battery at the positive terminal. I've fastened the fuse holder to the top of the underhood fuse box, and now need to figure out how to get the cable into the dashboard. Obviously I need to drill a hole through the firewall big enough for the cable and grommet, but I don't know where best to do so. I'd like to avoid drilling through multiple layers of metal. I've tried to find where various cable bundles enter the passenger compartment, but they're all well-hidden. I've thought about drilling near the steering shaft, as at least that's a recognizable landmark, but again I don't know how many layers I'd be drilling through.
The best way ( and easiest ) is to run that cable under the car. You can secure it to the brake or fuel lines that run to the back making sure to secure the wire so it doesn't sag down. In the rear you can drill through the floor ( from below ) or enter the trunk through the grommet at the bottom of the spare tire well. The RCA cables and the remote wire still need to run through the car. I ran 0 gauge wire this way in several of my vehicles. Keep it away from the exhaust and driveshaft and you're good to go. Also, don't let it be the lowest thing under your car.
That's a possibility too. As it happens, there's a small separation in the floor resulting from a bad jack / jackstand placement some time ago, which would suffice to allow the cable in. (Then I need to figure out a way of plugging the remaining crack.)
Haha. It was easier than I thought. If I'd known about the location of the clutch cable earlier, I wouldn't have had to ask.
The car is automatic, but it has a clutch pedal, and I've long suspected that a previous owner swapped out a manual transmission for the automatic. (This would explain why the speedometer is inaccurate as well.) There is a port for the clutch cable in the firewall, but it is plugged by a rubber seal. I simply drilled through the middle of the seal, using a bit slightly smaller than the cable diameter. Done.
Thanks for the help, guys. I still need to seal that bottom crack, but I think a few applications of silicone adhesive will at least waterproof the floor.