Rubbing Tires (Standard size)

gstsaver

May 6, 2018
Australia
Hi, On my 87 GT it was pointed out to me today when being inspected that the front tires rub against the plastic inner fender and control arm.
They are standard 225/60/15 with standard rims that come with the car.
Anyone else have this problem with standard sized tires and rims ? What on earth could be causing this ?

• Sponsors(?)

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
Is it lowered?
check lower control arm bushings for wear, tie rod ends and the front end alignment, after that it may be miss aligned body panels or/and bent front structure.

gstsaver

May 6, 2018
Australia
Not lowered but feel like allingment out so will try that. Control arm bushing and tie rods are all good.

Reactions: 1 user

Mustang5L5

i'm familiar with penetration
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I'd imagine the inspection would have checked for bad bushings and balljoints in the front arms?

Has the car been hit at all? Is it only one side?

Blown88GT

Founding Member
Nov 13, 1999
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Hi, On my 87 GT it was pointed out to me today when being inspected that the front tires rub against the plastic inner fender and control arm.
They are standard 225/60/15 with standard rims that come with the car.
Anyone else have this problem with standard sized tires and rims ? What on earth could be causing this ?
I had the same problem from day 1 when I bought the car new. It's only a problem with the GT's at full steering lock. Ford changed the components in '90.

Several solutions available:
1. Change tire size to 225/50/15
2. Get some steering rack limiters.
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-3504HDW/79-04-Mustang-Steering-Rack-Limiter-6-Pack

gstsaver

May 6, 2018
Australia
Thanks guys. I will check out the limiters.
The steering does feel a bit loose but aren't all fox body Stang's a bit loose in the steering ? (Last one I had before this one was 20 years ago so hard to remember exactly). It hasn't been lowered and rack bushings are fine

FastDriver

My dad had a bra
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
Fort Knox, KY
Uh... no. Sometimes the power steering can make steering feel kinda numb in comparison to other cars, but no. Not loose.

Also, if 225/60/15s are rubbing, then you have a problem. Stocker shouldn't rub at all.

gstsaver

May 6, 2018
Australia
I think the first thing will be an alignment and see if that helps much. It has a noisy power steering pump or rack ..squeals a bit when turning but I believe most fox body's do as well?

FastDriver

My dad had a bra
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
Fort Knox, KY
power steering pumps tend to whine a bit loudly on 90s fords, including foxbodies. Not sure "squeals" is a great description, though. To me a squeal would be the sound it makes when the belt is slipping.

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I don't think an alignment is going to help. If you are rubbing the fender, aligning the car isn't going to change that.

Do you have pics?

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
In the garage
those are stock size tires
there should not be any rubbing
You need to fix/repair.replace the suspension parts before doing any alignment
Any shop that wants to align a car with bad suspension parts in place is somewhere you need to run from
it is not uncommon to need rack limiters- a cheap and easy fix

Boostedpimp

15 Year Member
May 8, 2003
NJ
Does the car have an aftermarket k member in it? Some tend to push the wheel base a bit and with the smaller wheel well opening of the 87-90 cars it tends to rub with stock height tire. Post a picture so we can help pin point the cause

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Any shop that wants to align a car with bad suspension parts in place is somewhere you need to run from

I would agree. Any bad suspension parts or loose parts and a shop should reject performing an alignment until fixed. AS an owner, I'd want to hear about loose tie rod ends, or bad bushings rather than have them spec it out and ship it

Blown88GT

Founding Member
Nov 13, 1999
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
You're not paying attention to what I said.
I am the original owner of this car.
It is well known that the early Fox body GT's rub the front part of the fender skits.
Mine still has the scars to show it.
This happened before modifications of any kind.
For all you doubters, here's the proof.
IMG_0906 (small).jpg
Steering rack limiters might fix this, they weren't available until many years later when Ford started using them at the factory, along with modifications to the skirt geometry.
I bought some a couple years ago, but never installed them.
The best solution is a smaller wheel/tire combo.
You can compare & see the size differences, here.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc

Last edited: