Rudolf the Red Nosed Mustang...

GusinCA

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2002
Newport Beach
Well, had to go check out the snow here in Southern California (and they say we have no seasons, yeah, right).

These were taken today near Hell's Kitchen by Ortega Highway (74) at only 2000 feet elevation, only 30 minutes from the beach!

View attachment 283996

IMG_0160copy.jpg

Wheeeeeee!!!!
Thank goodness I ordered the seat heaters... :)

• Sponsors (?)

Believe it or not, that car had already driven all day yesterday in the rain, and then in the slush for about 15 minutes before those pictures were taken.

Just a great wax job, I guess...
Either that or the rainwater/snow in California is filtered...

its been in the mid-upper 60's all week here haha... last time i tried "driving" in snow it was a huge mess... nothing but making attempts at starting off super slow, and ending up spinning and then anytime i had to slowdown id even try heel-toe or just engine braking... all resulted in me showing off my finest dori dori dorifto skills haha

im digging the shot of the slush

It was fun do do "powdered donuts" with the TCS off...

Here's a shot of an Aston Martin figuring out the hard way that thin, wide summer tires and tons more horsepower may not work so well up there...

IMG_0188copy.jpg

He didn't hit anything, thank goodness.

Attachments

• IMG_0188copy.jpg
    IMG_0188copy.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 30
He was going pretty slow, but yes, that could not have been pleasant. What do those things have, 285/30ZR20? Now, I plan on getting 245/45-18 when my stock 235/50's wear out, but with 285/30 tires, snow is not a preferred surface...

He was going pretty slow, but yes, that could not have been pleasant. What do those things have, 285/30ZR20? Now, I plan on getting 245/45-18 when my stock 235/50's wear out, but with 285/30 tires, snow is not a preferred surface...

Stock S197 tires aren't meant for snow either. BTW, that "snow" you have in your pic is just light slush. We have well over 13" of snow in SE MI and so far it's a light winter. The GT is in the garage, and I've been driving the Crown Vic in the snow.

True, I was very careful where I went. The road continued into deeper snow, but I stayed in the slush, where I knew I was in contact with the ground most of the time.
No, I won't risk the Mustang up into the real snow, I have an Expedition for that... :)

I'm using Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds for the Crown Vic. They got me stuck in 13"+ of snow but was able to keep my Vic in control up to 50 MPH through light snow on the highway. I wouldn't hesitate to put them on the GT if it were a daily driver, although the only major drawback is the H-speed rating (130 MPH). My stock Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S aren't that great in the snow and everyone I know that uses these tires said the fastest they could drive in snow was about 15 MPH. I've been there and done that with my Dunlop SP Sport 5000s! :eek: Keep the pony dry! :D

Dry? Nahhh, the most fun to be had is with the TCS off and a wide open space with some slush on it. Where I took those pictures there was no salt, either, so I knew I wasn't risking anything. I'm very careful, but I like to have fun...