Run-In's with Supercars? Lets hear 'em.

Scott_95GT

Oct 8, 2004
Sacramento
I was getting off the freeway, and pulled up next to a 360 Modena. Not the most rare of car, but a near-new Ferrari nonetheless. We both turned the corner onto the main road. His car pulled effortlessly under normal throttle. I gave mine decent acceleration, nothing crazy, but enough to stay slightly behind in the lane next to him. I wasen't trying to race him, I just had a level of interest in his car. I'm cruising behind him, soaking up the rare sound of his machine, when he dicides he's done with me, and proceeded to take off. A medium-toned, high-rpm sound came from his tailpipes, and he left me sitting like a parked car, and before I knew it, I was alone listening to the drone of my flowmasters with O/D off.

Also saw a brand-new Maserati Coupe this morning :nice: Sweet car.

• Sponsors (?)

I tried to get a Ferrari Testarossa to race me on the highway one day. I merged next to him, and blipped the Flows at him a few times. He started slowing down. I figured he wanted to slow down and run. Nope, he slowed down to about 10 under the limit and just stayed there, staring straight ahead. I was pretty disappointed.

I have had a couple, i messed around with a Lambo Gallardo on the 805 once that was fun. Then another time i played with a Maserati coupe on the 5 which for some reason i seemed to be faster than. I also ran a 360 ferrari from a dig on a road in Rancho Santa Fe. I had my nitto DRs on back then and i kinda gave him a shock because i jumped him from the line and when we let off we were even. He gave me props and was a cool guy.

i used to work at a mercedes/bmw dealer and had a guy trade in a 96 911 turbo for a 03 e55 amg. we had the car back in the shop doin a used car inspection and found it was modified by a company called prototech. we got on the web site and found it had upgraded turbos, bigger intercooler, etc. it was rated at 550hp, all wheel drive six speed. well needless to say i had to drive it, got out in front of the dealer and babied it a little and was thinking that it was a overrated pos. i turned on a side street and decided to lay into it a little. as soon as the tach got to 5500 it took off and bounced off the rev limiter before i knew what was happening, in second gear. i romped on it a few more times and came away knowing that if i decide to buy a supercar it would be a 96 911 turbo. it put the fear into me pretty good. we also had a 03 GT2 in the shop the other day and it was dyno'd at 920 at the tires. noone got to even breath on it. $10k front brake rotors, carbon fiber. 12 piston calipers. turbos the size of a freakin pumpkin. sounded like dung. the only exotic i raced in my car was a ford GT. it totally wasted me and then the guy slowed down just to laugh at me. :notnice:

Well, lets see. I have a few, in different cars.

Funniest:

I was driving around in my 1991 sentra, and pulled up next to my neighbor in his ferrari F355. He started talking trash about my little car. I proceeded to rev my motor at him, he laughed but agreed to race by my house. 4 mile long street with only like 6 houses on it, and we all are friends. It was so great, We lined up and raced. I destroyed him, beat him by like 5 or 6 car lengths. Guess he didnt know the sentra was my race car, that I take out for a spin on the street every once in a while just for this purpose.

Closest:

I was driving down to the central florida Auto Expo at the convention center with my best friend in the passenger seat. I was in my old 1996 eclipse gst that I had built the crap out of. We were driving and a new porsche twin turbo (like a 2001 or 2002) pulled up next to me. The bastard looked at me like I was an Idiot, so I revved at him, and he laughed. Well the light turned green, and we both left hard, very hard. He beat me off the line, but I will never forget the look on his face as I began to pass him. He was obviously disturbed that this guy is whippin his arse in a lil import. We raced to about 120mph and i pulled a little under a car length on him. Later we both pulled intop the convention center at the same time. We actually parked next to each other. It turned out that he was a pretty cool guy. We talked for a while in the parking lot.

Mustang:

I was pulling onto the same street that the same race took place on when my other neighbor pulled on from the opposite direction, and decided he wanted to pass me. He has a Ruf porsche twin turbo. I saw him coming around me and I gunned it, and I left him by about 3 or 4 car lengths. I was actually dissapointed, b/c I though that I would beat him worse. Oh well.

I have a bunch more funny ones, but they are all in imports, and I know how you guys feel about those.

I messed around with a 96 Viper GTS on the highway...we sorta messed around surging up like 30mph at a time, then we sorta gunned it some...I surprisingly wasnt far behind...but right as my head began to swell he mashed it and took off like I was standing still. I followed him to a rest stop and looked at his car, which was supercharged, so I didn't feel too bad. Super nice guy, its nice to meet a guy who has a car like that who isn't a di**. I've been next to a Shelby cobra replica with a 427 side-oiler in it in a cruise after a car show I was in, he gunned it once after I yelled for him to....I nearly wet my pants. I've seen a bunch of ferrari's, lambos, even a Mercedes SLR (all in various places, not in my hometown) but that was just in traffic.

Scott_95GT said:
medium-toned, high-rpm sound came from his tailpipes, .

i know that sound. kinda like a brand new aston martin i saw a few weeks ago. not sure if it was a db9 or a vanquish but either way that thing sounded nice. another time i was outside work and i hear a very similar sound and here comes the new bently continentel in black. i was surprised until i saw the specs on that thing.

I guess the closest thing to an exotic/supercar that I've run into is a BMW Z3 that merged on the interstate right beside me. He gunned it so I shifted into fourth and caught up with him. We were pretty much dead even at 120mph when he let up.

I know a lawyer in town with a Maserati, but I've never run into him on the streets. That's probably a good thing lol. :)

I've also seen a couple Vipers around. One of them is either a Hennessy, or it has the body kit. :drool:

Got behind a red Ferrari F355 (I believe) at a stoplight and revved a couple times to get the guys attention. He made eye contact and I gave him the nod. Now here's the funny part: we are in the left-most lane (Ferrari in front) and beside the Ferrari is a dump truck. Needless to say, right before the light turns I rev again.........the Ferrari takes off with a beautiful exhaust note.......and then all I see is blue lights ahead. As soon as I myself took off, the Ferrari left me big time, but I noticed that as I passed the dump truck there was a cop on the other side.

Most supercars won't give a Mustang the time of day. In fact, most around here either don't know how to drive their car OR they drive like it's stolen. I've seen a Modena 360 weave in and out of traffic AND drive into oncoming traffic to get ahead of traffic. Rich and stupid.

super302 said:
:shrug: :shrug:
WTF kind of super-mustang do you have

well lets see when I raced him, here was my mod list

1995 mustang gts
ford sportsman 351 block
custom all forged 383 stroker kit (9.1:1)
Edelbrock victor heads (ported)
Heavily ported lightning lower.
downs upper
Vortech T-Trim (14 psi)
AFM renegade power pipe.
AFM/ Bassani 5.8 swap headers
Tremek TKO (pushing its limits)
and alot of stuff I cant remember

The car ran 11's on 6psi, and I turned it up to 14 ps1 Never dynoed it or ran it at 14 psi, just hooked up my wideband, and street tuned it. It was by far the fastest car I have ever driven. I later sold the drivetrain to a guy (for $14k) and he put it in his race car. He runs 9's all day long.

Dont worry, though, I have something up my sleave soon. :D

Crash Gordon said:

1995 mustang gts
ford sportsman 351 block
downs upper
Vortech T-Trim (14 psi)
AFM renegade power pipe.

The car ran 11's on 6psi, and I turned it up to 14 ps1 Never dynoed it or ran it at 14 psi, just hooked up my wideband, and street tuned it. It was by far the fastest car I have ever driven. I later sold the drivetrain to a guy (for $14k) and he put it in his race car. He runs 9's all day long.

WOW!!
I underestimated you bigtime :hail2:

bimmertech said:
i used to work at a mercedes/bmw dealer and had a guy trade in a 96 911 turbo for a 03 e55 amg. we had the car back in the shop doin a used car inspection and found it was modified by a company called prototech. we got on the web site and found it had upgraded turbos, bigger intercooler, etc. it was rated at 550hp, all wheel drive six speed. well needless to say i had to drive it, got out in front of the dealer and babied it a little and was thinking that it was a overrated pos. i turned on a side street and decided to lay into it a little. as soon as the tach got to 5500 it took off and bounced off the rev limiter before i knew what was happening, in second gear. i romped on it a few more times and came away knowing that if i decide to buy a supercar it would be a 96 911 turbo. it put the fear into me pretty good. we also had a 03 GT2 in the shop the other day and it was dyno'd at 920 at the tires. noone got to even breath on it. $10k front brake rotors, carbon fiber. 12 piston calipers. turbos the size of a freakin pumpkin. sounded like dung. the only exotic i raced in my car was a ford GT. it totally wasted me and then the guy slowed down just to laugh at me. :notnice:

I hear that! The fastest car I've ever been in is a 911 TT. What year it was I'm not sure, this was 5 or so years ago. It was my uncle's bosses from work. He took me for a ride late at night on the highway and we hit 175 mph on highway 495 in mass. Fastest I've ever gone in a car.

The funniest thing is all you could year was a high pitched whine from the turbos. It was eerily quiet and the car felt rock solid. I take the Stang up to 130 and it feels like warp speed with the assorted shakes, rattles, and rolls. The Porsche at 175 felt like 90 feels in the stang.

I WILL own a 911 TT before I die.

Street - Local old guy in town has TWO vipers, one is a Hennessy (his) and th e other one is "regular" (his wife's). He lives next to my friend from HS so I've been over to his house and we talked shop. I ran into him while merging onto 290 in Hudson MA and he just kinda looked at me and hit it, and I swear I felt like a Civic with a fart can must feel after I stomp all over it.

Thing is, they don't sound very good to my ears.

- Adam

- Adam

It wasn't really a super car, and not much of a run in either. But yesterday I saw a Lotus Elise in the parking lot. Holy crap those cars look wicked, like they are going balls out, and it's only sitting parked. The top was off, so I peeked in, and man are they spartan. A pure driving machine through and through. Props to the Elise! :hail2:

Crash Gordon said:

1995 mustang gts
ford sportsman 351 block
downs upper
Vortech T-Trim (14 psi)
AFM renegade power pipe.

Sounds slow....

Dustin