Running Rich w/exhaust leak--POSSIBLE TEMP FIX

hey guys, so i have a minor exhaust leak at the header (96 cobra with LTs) due to crap gasket. I have thrown codes P1132 & 1152 indicating RICH. I am not able to get this exhaust leak fixed for a few months and was wondering if there is anyway to offset the rich mixture by leaning it out with my tuner (SCT SF3) as i dont want to cause any damage to my engine...right now i have stock tune on which i recently returned back to from a mail order tune ( i was waiting til the leak is fixed to get dyno tuned)

I am not really knowledgable about a/f ratio tuning and not even sure if this temporary fix would be possible...I am capable of data logging as im sure if we were to try to attempt this they would need to be analyzed.

just trying to get some possible solutions!! im about to check/change plugs to see how bad they are fouled..my MPG is horrible, and i smell gas at idle..my exhaust is dumped so i cant really see if any smoke is comin out of them but dont see any black smoke in my rear view mirror

thanks in advance guys!

• Sponsors (?)

IMO, your plan will not work because the amount of un-metered air in the exhaust depends upon FLOW/temperature/baro pressure. Adding a fixed percent would only work at a given throttle setting. As such, it would only fix the AF ratio for a single engine load. It will still be wrong through the rest of the power band.

This is the same issues as the guy trying to tune out a vacuum leak. It can't really be done because a change in weather, engine temperature, baro pressure, throttle possition, or any number of other things will make the adjustment wrong.

Burns-i like ur thinkin and answer....
unfortunately i have to drive it occassionally and get the leak fixed till the fall
gonna check the plugs this weekend hopefully and see how bad they are fouled..
exhaust leak is small but i dont want the car running rich to score cylinder walls by excess fuel eating away at pistons rings, especially since its a brand new rebuilt motor
tkns