Runs like CRAP...

'95 Pilot

Nov 22, 2003
Tucson, AZ
OK, I went and put on a C & L 76 MM kit, 24 pound injectors, Ford RP 190 fuel pump, and my car runs horrible. It is running incredibly rich. Can't idle worth a s... Surges around 1500 to 1900 RPMS. I know some of you recomended a PRO-M, I regret my decision now. I will pull the codes tomorrow. My question is, would these mods make my car run this bad? I thought there should be some improvement, not this. Any help is greatly appreciated....

• Sponsors (?)

[QUOTE='95 Pilot]OK, I went and put on a C & L 76 MM kit, 24 pound injectors, Ford RP 190 fuel pump, and my car runs horrible. It is running incredibly rich. Can't idle worth a s... Surges around 1500 to 1900 RPMS. I know some of you recomended a PRO-M, I regret my decision now. I will pull the codes tomorrow. My question is, would these mods make my car run this bad? I thought there should be some improvement, not this. Any help is greatly appreciated....[/QUOTE]

Why the heck did you put 24lb injectors and another fuel pump on a stock gt ??? If your car is completely stock.. that is tooo big IMO.

are you sure the meter is cal'd for the 24# INJ. if not this sounds exactly like what it would cause, the maf would be setting fuel conditions for 19 and the 24's you have would be majorly overcompensating the fuel.

even if it is stock if everything was installed correctly with the correct cal. it should run just fine.

if you do not want that c&l 76 i would trade you my pro-m meter, i want the c&l so i can get the true intake tube. Only thing is that it is cal'd for 19#

jason

motor runs fine, was the switch in the trunk, i have to have a new driveshaft, new extension housing for my tranny(came out of a 95 cobra so gonna be hard to find), a new h or x pipe, and will need a new catback or something. I am giong to take pictures today or tomm. i have to make it out to my moms first. I just left the hospital yest. morning after a 2 day stay, i had to have my appendix removed. It has been one hell of a week, thats the only way to explain it.

i am probably gonna go with an x-pipe from the classifieds 139 shipping included, maybe an aluminum driveshaft, depending on when i pull the tranny whether or not the mainshaft is bent! i am unsure but should have it back together before toooo long we'll see

hey andy, how is your car doing or is it put away, are we gonna see dyno #'s before long, I was really enjoying that intake, with those gears, and everything, man that thing had some torque--may have led to the demise of my rear u-joint etc. lol pm me with any parts you might have for sale that would help

jason

HairyCanary said:
When I bought my C&L, I had trouble getting the right calibration tubes for it -- they sent the wrong one, and had to drop ship the correct one. Make sure you have the black calibration tube.

Dave

Yep got it, the kit didn't even come with one. I had to call them to send it out, it is the black one. I wonder if I am pushing too much fuel now, but I thought the electronics would compensate for the increase???

I am used to old school engines. My last Mustang was a '66 Fastback with a 4bbl 289, that was seriously hopped up. This new fangled electrical stuff is throwing me for a loop.

Try rotating the meter in a clockwise position. The sensor could be positioned in a funny way and is getting a reading on turbulent air. I'd be willing to bet that is your problem. I've ran the C&L for almost two years with nothing but success, but some have had idle control problems after installing the C&L and once they clocked the MAF, it was fixed.

Joe

Joes95GT said:
Try rotating the meter in a clockwise position. The sensor could be positioned in a funny way and is getting a reading on turbulent air. I'd be willing to bet that is your problem. I've ran the C&L for almost two years with nothing but success, but some have had idle control problems after installing the C&L and once they clocked the MAF, it was fixed.

Joe

Joe, how far have you had to rotate the sensor? I have it at a 12 'o clock postion, How far off do you think would do it? I just tried moving it to about the 2 position and it runs the same. Incredibly rich. I still haven't had a chance to pull the codes, too much family stuff going on this week. I'd rather be working on the Mustang...

O.K., really dumb C and L question...Which way does that damn sampling tube go? Angle to front or back??? :shrug: Since C and L forgot to install it in my MAF, they had to drop ship it. They have really bad instructions with the kit, nothing on the correct way to mount the tube. I am looking for anything/reason why my car is running so rich. My next step is to replace the fuel regulator and put an adjustable (BBK) on. I am really starting to miss old school horsepower. This new fangled electronic stuff really has thrown me for a loop. I miss my trusty old 289 at times....

I was used to old school myself...all 400 Pontiacs...Give yourself some time, these cars usually run sweet....In 6yrs owning mine, i have had jACK for problems..I personally love the fuel injection vs carbs...