Rust On Seam Under Shock Tower?

nickpic

Advanced Member
Jul 5, 2009
Stony Point NY
Looking at a 90 notch. I haven't gone to see it yet(over 2 hours away) but he says shock towers are good but the seam under the driver side is rusted bad. No holes but starting to rot. Is this just as bad as the tower itself rotting? If it's rotted bad should I walk away if I don't want the trouble of cutting it out and welding in new. I have no problem with sanding down surface rust and painting...

• Sponsors (?)

If it was me and it was just surface rust I wouldn't even disclose it in an ad. If it was an issue and I had someone seriously asking about my car I would send pics of the area in question to that individual so they knew before hand the condition of the vehicle. If the car is that far away I would think you have every right to ask for pics of problem areas before you go and kick the tires. Assuming you are pulling a trailer that's going to be close to 100 in gas round trip and half a day wasted.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah exactly, I will have a car trailer and its easily a half a day. I think I'll play it that if he doesn't send a pic I don't go.

Is that area the seam below the strut tower just as big of a deal as the strut tower itself rusting/rotting?

Yeah exactly, I will have a car trailer and its easily a half a day. I think I'll play it that if he doesn't send a pic I don't go.

Is that area the seam below the strut tower just as big of a deal as the strut tower itself rusting/rotting?
Yep, real important.

It is where the engine cradle bolts to.

I agree with @stykthyn , if he won't send good pictures, walk away.

That is UNLESS, you really dig cutting out rot, fabricating and welding in new stuff (which I do). Other than having to pull the engine and remove the front suspension, it's not that big of a deal to fix if it truly is rotted through:ack:.

Yep, real important.

It is where the engine cradle bolts to.

I agree with @stykthyn , if he won't send good pictures, walk away.

That is UNLESS, you really dig cutting out rot, fabricating and welding in new stuff (which I do). Other than having to pull the engine and remove the front suspension, it's not that big of a deal to fix if it truly is rotted through:ack:.
Thanks. I'm not into doing that type of work. At the moment I'm just not set up to do it. Also I'm looking for something I can get in and drive and enjoy now. Mechanical stuff isn't an issue for me body work is.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. I'm not into doing that type of work. At the moment I'm just not set up to do it. Also I'm looking for something I can get in and drive and enjoy now. Mechanical stuff isn't an issue for me body work is.
I'm there with you brother. I can do it. I just REALLY hate it.

Reactions: 1 users

Rust there is the precursor to rust in the tower, that's where it starts. If it's just surface rust I'd treat it and seal it off; if its rot you have to weld repair it.

Mine has started to rot so I'm planning to get it repaired next fall.

Rust there is the precursor to rust in the tower, that's where it starts. If it's just surface rust I'd treat it and seal it off; if its rot you have to weld repair it.

Mine has started to rot so I'm planning to get it repaired next fall.
Welcome to stangnet. In the future, check the date on the post. This is from 3 years ago.

Good luck dealing with your rust.