Rust on shock towers

pile_53574

May 1, 2005
SW WI
So we picked up an 88 GT for a good price, only place where i could find rust was under the hatch (surface rust) and shock towers. This was a little more than surface rust, but not rust all the way through. Question is I know this is a PIA to fix but how much of a PIA is it, extreme would be to cut out old and put in new, but is there an easier way to fix???

• Sponsors (?)

If you can do it yourself, it'll cost you the price of the metal you're patching in. I would imagine a body/frame shop would charge an arm and a leg. I'd guess close to a grand for a shop to do the work, but it would be purely guesswork on my part.

I spoke to CJ Pony about this in Harrisburg PA, they said it costs about $1500 to do the work. The cost comes from pulling the motor.

I decided to take it on myself. Hire a buddy to help me pull the motor and saw away and weld. The project will begin next year.

yea i just got done pullin the motor and droppin the k member to get at mine ... mine is pretty bad through. but definitely cheaper to do it myself (im a machinist and have connections on metal for cheap) just got to get my buddy to weld cuz i cant weld for anything lol

I have the same problem, I entertained the idea of finding a donor strut towers or another front clip; but that idea was a bust. Every fox in the junkyard was there because of horribly rotten strut towers, the rest of the body on those cars was un-wrecked and fine. I'm thinking of doing a 4 cyl body swap, if I can find a good one; I already have V8 suspension/drivetrain parts laying around, I just need the engine, rack, and misc. out of my car.

I looked on the LRS site and they have replacement framerail/tower/fender aprons for the 99-04 cars, but none for foxes... obsolete. :( If someone brought that part back for foxes they would make a killing.

I have the same problem, I entertained the idea of finding a donor strut towers or another front clip; but that idea was a bust. Every fox in the junkyard was there because of horribly rotten strut towers, the rest of the body on those cars was un-wrecked and fine. I'm thinking of doing a 4 cyl body swap, if I can find a good one; I already have V8 suspension/drivetrain parts laying around, I just need the engine, rack, and misc. out of my car.

I looked on the LRS site and they have replacement framerail/tower/fender aprons for the 99-04 cars, but none for foxes... obsolete. :( If someone brought that part back for foxes they would make a killing.

would definitely make my life easier lol