Rust preventatives (wickedmach1, oboe)

BunBun

Jun 29, 2003
Texas A&M
A while ago there was a thread regarding rust encapsulator from eastwood vs. POR-15.

Wicked I'd love to see some more pics from your application of the eastwood-- (you sent me 1 with the undercarriage a while ago) hows it holding up 6 months later?

Oboe, you had stated you had seen a third type of rust encap/ preventative but didn't remember what it was but would look. Have you gotten a chance to find out what it was by chance?

I was planning on using POR-15 on the undercarriage, floor pans and trunk while using the eastwood stuff on the engine bay, wheel wells and pretty much everywhere else.

My reasoning for this is twofold. 1) Eastwood definitely seems easier to apply and also seems a lot easier to paint over as it acts as a primer in addition to the protective abilites. 2) POR-15 seems to be more durable and would be better for underneath where the possibility of chipping is much higher.

I would consider using POR-15 everywhere if it could be painted over easily. The whole "gets lighter under UV" doesn't make me want to use it anywhere the sun might have a possibility of touching. I know it would take a while for it to actually lighten, but I don't want to do it a second time simply because I was lazy and didn't plan it out.

Is my reasoning flawed?

Bun

• Sponsors (?)

i see you go to texas a&m, gig em! i live in college station as well, and have similar rust ailments. i dont have any answers for you, but i hope someone can shed some light on this subject, b/c it will help me out too. do these products need rust to work? or can you get it down to bare metal and us it as a preventative? just wondering b/c i have tried a few products that requires rust to convert it into a hard coating. and i dont want anything besides steel and primer under my paint.

Big Chuck said:
i see you go to texas a&m, gig em! i live in college station as well, and have similar rust ailments. i dont have any answers for you, but i hope someone can shed some light on this subject, b/c it will help me out too. do these products need rust to work? or can you get it down to bare metal and us it as a preventative? just wondering b/c i have tried a few products that requires rust to convert it into a hard coating. and i dont want anything besides steel and primer under my paint.

Whoop! maybe you me and bullitt can get a couple 'stang workin' days together.

as I understand it (and I may be mis-informed-- i'm sure someone will correct me if I am) POR-15 can go directly over rust, but its better to clean it up first. The eastwood stuff is just the opposite. It SHOULD be put on bare metal and not over rust. POR is more durable, Eastwood's is easier to apply and cover. POR is cheaper.