SN95 Rusted clutch cable = clutch squeak when pedal up?

mstang95

5 Year Member
May 6, 2018
Pennsylvania
I had my clutch done a while back. It was sounding horrible, screaming on pedal down. Definitely much better since but now there's a chirp only when the pedal's up. I took a look underneath and the clutch cable is bursting with rust. Any chance this can be the cause? I'm hoping I can replace this and solve it without having to pull the tranny.
20180616165900.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

When you put a little pressure on the pedal does it go away?

If so, could be the throwout bearing retainer. The stock t5 ones are aluminum and get chewed up over time. Good to replace with a steel one.

Mines been chirping for a little while now. Was going to I fix it, but I have an a5 coming so I’m just riding it as is. I’ve abused the hell out of it and it hasn’t gotten any worse.

When you put a little pressure on the pedal does it go away?

If so, could be the throwout bearing retainer. The stock t5 ones are aluminum and get chewed up over time. Good to replace with a steel one.

Mines been chirping for a little while now. Was going to I fix it, but I have an a5 coming so I’m just riding it as is. I’ve abused the hell out of it and it hasn’t gotten any worse.

Yeah, it goes away with a little pressure. For the retainer, I'm guessing the tranny's still gotta come out?

Why would it be the throw out bearing when it only does it with the pedal up? The bearing shouldn't even be in contact with the diaphragm spring.

My 1993 does the same thing and I have yet to figure it out. New clutch, steel bearing retainer, and throw out bearing will go in soon.

Yeah, it goes away with a little pressure. For the retainer, I'm guessing the tranny's still gotta come out?

Yeah that sounds like it’s the retainer the TOB rides on. Correct, tranny has to come out. They can run quite awhile with the chirping thiugh.

Why would it be the throw out bearing when it only does it with the pedal up? The bearing shouldn't even be in contact with the diaphragm spring.

My 1993 does the same thing and I have yet to figure it out. New clutch, steel bearing retainer, and throw out bearing will go in soon.

It’s the bearing retainer the tob rides on. The factory aluminum retainer shaft is aluminum and wears over time. A new steel one fixes that