S-trim help: is a bypass valve upgrade necessary beyond 12psi?

pony502

Jan 28, 2009
Liverpool N.Y.
Does anyone know if I drop to a 2.95 pulley on my S-trim vortech if the standard bypass valve will be sufficient. Vortech says I need the race bypass valve above 10 psi. and i'm already pushing 12psi. . A couple of my buddies say they are fine w/ the standard one and there running 15-16 psi.? Any input would be greatly appreciated.:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

I modified your post's title. Hopefully it will help you get a response from someone in the know.

I know you're looking for personal experience, and I don't have any. However, I would personally go with vortech's recommendation. You can probably get away with not having a bigger blow-off, but the pressures exerted when going from full boost to throttle plate closed can put a lot of strain on the compressor. I'm sure they're strong enough to stand up to the added stress for a while... maybe even a long time, but the increased wear could potentially cause fatigue issues that would not have happened with a correctly sized blow-off. Nobody knows the equipment better than the manufacturer.

Still, I'm not that familiar with the blower in question, and I hope someone on here can help you.

Chris

The stock plastic Bosch valve will work fine with 12psi with the S-trim. Chris is right though a larger bypass valve will ensure that no air is trying to push back against the blower. Just be prepared for more belt slippage when you go 2.95, the Vortech tensioner system is not that great IMO. Resist the urge to crank down on the belt, it causes major issues with the front crank bearings and stress on the snout.

To swap to a larger valve you will need to upgrade your pipes....

Chris/Fastdriver, how's the car??? I forgot to tell you they screwed up and actually sent me a GT42 76mm, ball bearing!!!

u

Rick,good to see ya.

Man I haven't touched the car in so long. But I should be done with the career course I'm in next friday.

No change in my future plans. You should see the car when I get back from ranger school.

Chris

Thanks for the info. I'm debating even putting the pulley on now because i'm not sure if the tune I have now will work for the smaller pulley. What do you mean about upgrading the pipes, I already have the AFM power pipe
?

I'm not sure where the valve is mounted, but I assume that what Rick meant is that the upgraded valve will be too big to fit on the stock pipe, or that the pipe that leads from the valve back to the intake tract will have to increase in size along with the valve.