s197 Convertible guys...in here!

Houston94vert

Founding Member
Apr 13, 2001
Houston
I took my 2006 GT convertible to the ford dealer last friday for the following.

1. The area where the convertible top folds into is full of water. After a hard rain, I can drive around and it sounds like a mini ocean back there.

2. The passenger door handle is broke. You can pull the handle out to open the door, but then the handle stays in the out position. So when you close the door it just bounces off the car. I guess becuase the handle is still in the open position, the parts that catch the pole on the door is still in the open mode.

3. Thrusday afternoon I got in the car and pulled out of work and all this water starts pouring out from under the glove box onto the passenger floor board. And continued to pour all the way home. I'm assuming the pan or whatever that catches a/c condensation was blocked and it over filled.

I got the car back yesterday. And of course it rained last night.

This morning driving to work, I hear the water in the back under the convertible top again.

Are any of you vert guys having this problem with holding water?:nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

the cowl needs to be seam sealed to address the issue with water near the glove box. be careful, the smart junction box os near there and can short out of it gets wet.

sorry, i cant help with the vert specific issues.

The loose door handle any body shop could fix for next to nothing. It's all in how they fasten it. My driver's and passenger's was tight. I had to repair the passenger door and when I got it back the passenger handle was loose. They took it apart again and tightened it up.

As for the other stuff. I'd get a pro to weld up that cowl and also send hate mail to Ford.

We don't get much rain out here in the eastern Washington desert, but when it does, it comes down hard. This is my second Mustang 'vert, both with vinyl tops ('96 and '05). Neither one has leaked a drop. Your car should be fixed under warranty. Vinyl top or cloth top, there should be no leaks, period.

Sorry to hear you're having this problem. I hope your dealer straightens it out so you can enjoy one of life's great pleasures...driving your Mustang with the top down.

Can't speak to your leaking issues, but the door handle issue I can. I have had the driver side replaced twice and the passenger once. These are warranty items and your dealer should give you no grief over them. They had a poor design and were supposed to be re-designed, but the problems apparently still exists. All your problems should be warranty covered!

I guess I didn't put all the info.

I took it to the dealer and they fixed everything but one thing, when it rains, it still holds water in the back.

Now from what I understand, water is supposed to go back there anyway. As your top doesn't seal against your trunk, and allows water to drain out. However, I might have some leaves or something blocking the drainage. I guess I'm going to have to take it back to the dealer.