S197 guy looking for 5.0 Fox or SN95

Hey guys. I'm an S197 guy who is considering the addition of a 90-98 5.0 LX, GT, or Cobra to his stable. I want it to basically sound nice and be a nice daily driver/ cruiser. Because of that, I kind of want a vert. My ideal car based on what I've seen, is a '94 Indy 500 Pace car (might be '95, not sure). Another car which was suggested to me by a friend was a 7up car. Saw one last year for around 10k. I think my ideal price is around 7k for the car, then a few to fix it up if necessary, get the right exhaust, sound system, etc. Nothing too fancy. If you guys could point me in the right direction (leads), I'd be most appreciative!

Always had a thing for the SN95s and the Fox has grown on me, so now it's time to pick something up for a daily driver so my S197 can chill out for a bit.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I guess my thinking is you guys know more what appropriate prices are and what to look for as far as trouble spots. I emailed a guy about a 97 I think with 110,000 miles. Black on black Cobra. He only wants 3500 for it... I find something fishy about stuff like that you know?

Wow, that is cheap. When I was shoping about a year ago the only 96-98 Cobra I saw for under 4K had hail dammage. Needed new winshield, rear window, trunk, hood and the roof worked. $6000 is a more average price for a Cobra with just over 100K on it and in good shape.
BTW, dont let the miles scare you. If it was taken care of it dont matter. My Mark VIII (same engine minus the forged crank) and has 140K on it. Starts in under 1 second no matter how cold/hot it is, dosent smoke at all, dosent drip a drop, does not burn oil and can spank (I have several times) a Hemi (5.7) Charger/300/Magnum from a roll. The engines are spectacular and IMHO the best engine Ford ever made.

I sold my 96 Cobra with 111K on it for 6200 and that car was in excellent shape. Seat was worn and the paint was a bit faded but she was a solid car and very fast and reliable :nice:
IMGP0044.jpg

IMGP0036.jpg

IMGP0053.jpg

I think if you're going to get a vert, he should stick with an SN95. Even when new, the old Fox body verts were complete rattle traps. Not saying they can't be improved upon, but with the replacing of old worn seals, rag tops, chassis stiffening, general wear and tear etc....that's a lot of friggin work for a person to put into an older car that's only going to meant as a reliable daily driver.

Especially when you consider most Fox body owners are asking ridiculous prices for them anyway. I don't know how many guys I've seen asking in the $8-12IK range for clean Fox body verts when you could pick up a 99-up for the same, if not less money.

I’d go for an '94-'98 Cobra, or a ’99-up New Edge if it were my money. :shrug:

I have a friend with one of those limited edition yellow LX verts. He loves that thing!

And I probably would have taken that Cobra off your hands for that 6200. I love the candy apple red (laser red....whatever Ford called it) on the SN95s.
I miss that car alot :( It was Laser Red hence my screen name. I had it listed on here for a couple months with no serious offers. I putit on Craigslist and 5 hours later it was sold. I think the guy I sold it to is re selling it. Always had a weird rattle that we could never figure out. It sounded just like lifter noise and was loud when first started but almost completly went away when warm. He replaced the timing chains and tensioners then he did new lash adjusters and seals but said it still made the sound. He got sick of dealing with it and asked if I knew anyone to buy it. Wish I had the money or I would buy it back and just swap engines with my Mark.

Anyway, back on topic. Brian has a good point. Fox verts make ALOT of wind noise even with the top up. The SN95 was much better as a vert. Not nearly as much cowl shake and they were quieter with the top up or down. What made the Foxes so bad was the roof went above the windshield so it created alot of drag. The SN hid the leading edge of the roof behind the windshield frame :nice:

I don't have much in the way of rattles. However, I do have MM full length subframe connectors. Wind noises, yep, got them. When I finish my motor, hopefully I'll change all the weatherstripping. I like the sn95's, don't get me wrong. I used to drive my little brother's 04 gt vert all the time. Much more civilized. But considering what I have in my car, I could have bought a 99-04 and had some left over. And I still don't regret it.

stick with the sn95 with a vert for sure. I have a 92 stock vert, its very nice. Kinda slow, and is very noisy when the top is up. i would never want to dd the car. If your looking for a fox to have for fun or to run around in thats fine, but your not going to get one and drive it every day and be satisfied IMO