S197 Weight Reduction

I've been reading a lot of complaints about the fact that our cars are pretty heavy, as they come from Ford.

Aside from taking out the Spare Tire and the rear seat, what are some legitimate strategies for some meaningful weight reduction?

(I'm betting that there are very few)

• Sponsors (?)

Removal of:

1) Wiring
2) Noise Insulation
3) Carpeting
4) Extra lighting / spare bracketry
5) Smaller diameter rims / tires
6) 1-piece driveshaft made out of aluminum
7) lightweight mufflers?
8) No power windows, HVAC systems, Radio / speakers...

i can think of lots, but it depends on how much stuff you feel comfortable removing. some weight reduction can come from some of the saftey features built into the car, but i would not feel safe driving the car after it.

bigcat said:
i can think of lots, but it depends on how much stuff you feel comfortable removing. some weight reduction can come from some of the safety features built into the car, but i would not feel safe driving the car after it.

that's why I put the word "legitimate" in the preface .....

no one is going to take their carpet out unless the car is 100% set up for the track!

there are many aftermarket parts designed to eliminate weight. if you can live without sway bars (i would not for a street car), then you can d the radiator support/swaybar delete conversion. driveshaft, other tubular lightweight suspension parts, etc. are all commonly available parts that reduce weight.

if you want free weight reduction, you will have to sacrifice some creature comforts.

Reactions: 1 user
I myself could go for removing the back seat and modifying it so that resembles the GT concept car from '04... It is pretty useless other than storing a few things on a ride someplace. I squeezed my girlfriend in the front with me and her 2 boys in the back(ages 10 & 13) going on a 10 mile ride...CRAMPED!!!!!
Added bonuses of the rear seat being gone-more trunk space AND quite possibly LOUDER exhaust!!!!!!!

P.S. It's a shame they did not keep the S197 a 2 seater hatchback design. What % of us use the backseat to carry people anyways?????
1silver_concept-med.jpg

Aluminum Driveshaft, light weight clutch and aluminum flywheel, K-Member with motor mounts, stainless steel headers could shave off some weight, and some shocks/struts and springs will shave off 20lbs together...

I didnt get the shaker or a rear spoiler.

The next best thing is dont add a bunch of useless weight. Look at all the threads that people post about the "cool" mods they found. Nothing more than alot of expensive, useless weight.

a carbon fiber hood may be a cool way to go. certain suspension components, like someone said, are probably lighter (and cooler again). the alum. D/S should be a lower weight and perf. mod. Also, an aluminum flywheel. lightweight wheels (BBS for example) can help.

besides that, I think you're looking at comfort components or more complex mechanical ones.

Thought this would be cool to put on this thread found it at the 40collective site. Give weights of various REMOVABLE components of the s197.

Shaker 1000 headunit, speakers, rear speaker brackets & sub - 56.4lbs
driver and passenger door panels - 12.8lbs
plastic backseat side panels - 5.0lbs
plastic c-pillar panels - 3.0lbs
back seat - 14.8lbs
carpeting and floor mats - 22.6lbs
sound deadening material - 29lbs
spare tire & wheel - 27.0lbs
jack tools and jack, - 5.4lbs
cardboard trunk tire cover - 8.2lbs
A/C compressor, condenser, reservoir, & some piping - 31.2lbs
windshield wiper reservoir (full of fluid), bracket, & associated tubing - 9.0lbs
glovebox - 4.6lbsplastic driver and passenger kick panels - 1.6lbs
center console - 12.3lbs
front sway bar - 19.5lbs
passenger seat - 51.2lbs

My 2006 GT Premium has 2 options. Auto Trans and Active Theft. It weighed 3750 with a full tank. Could this be right? What kind of numbers are you guys seeing? This sounds at least 100lbs over everything that I have read.