S550 2017 Ecoboost- Tune issue, BCM shutting off after flashing ECM as well.

Ezcore_G

Jul 26, 2018
Norcross
Hello, wasn't sure where to post this but I have a S550 eco 2017 model, and I bought the SCT GTX tuner for it and got a PRO Tune from LUND for all my aftermarket parts ((list below)) for my car, however the tune that LUND sent over could not be recognized ((Encryption invalid?)) by my GTX tune box.

After a short reply from LUND saying its SCT's fault and dealing with SCT's customer support for almost a week and a half, they have come to the conclusion that we should return the GTX as they are having issues with several other cars ((They did not say what model and years)) and that they can not help us at this moment in time but at a future date.

This is the issue we were having, when we loaded LUND's tune the car through a bunch of warning lights all over and would not start, and the Body Control Module shut off everything ((iex. Power steering, ABS, ext)). Thats when we conctacted LUND and they sent us a factory tune to see if the car would turn back on and IT DID, but we tried LUND's tune again and the same issue happened again at that point LUND told us to contact SCT as it was their issue not theirs and they have seen this happen on the BTX tuner ((GTX's brother tuner for Pick-up trucks)).

Long story somewhat short, SCT gave us a base performance tune for my car, it worked and my car would turn on with the tune uploaded, but they could not for the love of god figure out why LUND's tune wasn't being read by the GTX. My car is running way to LEAN ((20.0 AFR going down the road, 14-15 AFR at idle)) to run SCT's performance tune I need LUND's tune badly or the car is not able to be driven reliably, not to mention I wont get any power gains out of my mods.

If the Tune shop i'm going to didn't known someone who had an expensive scanner we would have to get the car towed back to FORD to reset the BCM. Luckily we could reset the modules that were shut off with it. So thats where I stand, $4000+ dollars on a car that seems like it can't be tuned just sitting in a shop collecting dust ((I might have to revert it to stock)). Has anyone heard of this issue? Anyone with a 2017 S550 unable to tune their car? It almost seems as if FORD put a Fail-safe in their car to stop aftermarket tunes (wouldn't surprise me) or maybe the GTX is just so new. I just want to know a Tune Box that will actually work with my car, I heard nGauge by LUND works on 2017's but so did the SCT GTX tune box, so i'm not so sure. FORD changed something in the 2017+ models that they didn't have in 2015-2016.

Sorry for the winded first post but its a pretty big issue and me and my Tune Shop are pretty stumped by this but not willing to give up just yet. Thanks for the time and any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

(Mod List/Changes List)-2017 S550.
Mishimoto Catch-Can
Mishimoto Intercooler
Turbo smart BOV
CSF Radiator
Mishimoto Oil Cooler
Liquid Moly oil
MBRP down-pipe
MBRP Cat-back exhaust
Green Filter (Hi-Flow direct fit replacement air filter)
SCT GTX Tuner
LUND Pro Tune

• Sponsors (?)

It sounds as if the another tuner (if I read your post correctly) is still married to your car.

Edit: Disregard that. Yeah... Get a refund on that tuner if you can. It sounds like it is the item with issues.

@a91what - You know anything about these?

Thanks for the reply

Yeah we are refunding it and SCT is going along with it, but we are just worried if we buy the nGauge tuner from LUND it might not work with my 2017 model.
We just aren't sure if my car is even tunable at this point with any current tuners because its so new.

Thanks for the reply

Yeah we are refunding it and SCT is going along with it, but we are just worried if we buy the nGauge tuner from LUND it might not work with my 2017 model.
We just aren't sure if my car is even tunable at this point with any current tuners because its so new.

If the 2017 follows the same CAN bus standard as all other OBD2 cars, it should work just fine. :shrug: I would be surprised if it didn't.

The tuner you're having issues with, is it a brand new semi-tested model that you have?

The Tuner is a brand new model. Came out in 2016 I think.
We have taken it back and gotten a refund. The nGauge Tuner from LUND is on its way, hopefully this one will work. Will post results after install and tune next week.

Let us know how it turns out. Granted, we only have one version of the story to go on but it sounds from your description that the Lund dudes have their stuff together. If I were going to use their tune, I would prefer to use their equipment to install it.

The nGauge works from LUND and also the BCM issue has completely vanished as well. Car is tuned now with good looking AFRs and making conservative safe power. I would say the numbers but that's for a different topic.

SCT needs to step their game up.