Roush Saleen Stern Wheels

• Sponsors (?)

I think they were still the Yokohama (don't remember the model) 235-45-17's all the way around but i'm not completely sure. I know that is what they were puting on all of the 17" Speedlines by Saleen. Anyone else??? :shrug:

What did Tire Discounters have on sale that month? :rlaugh: Just kidding, although reading the Saleen Book really opened my eyes to the older days of Saleen. Were there two the same before the s281's of 1996? I think that is what is cool about the older Saleens though. The potential for getting a one of a kind, or at least one with some special order schtuff on it is much better then the production run Saleen's, especially the 1999 and up cars...

My 93 Saleen came with BFGoodrich's. 235-45 on the front, and 255-40 on the rear. If I was to replace them, I would probably go to 225-45 in the front as there is some rubbing, although very minimal, only when cranked fully to one side and hitting a bump.
Hope this helps, Mike

teamZracing said:
My 93 Saleen came with BFGoodrich's. 235-45 on the front, and 255-40 on the rear. If I was to replace them, I would probably go to 225-45 in the front as there is some rubbing, although very minimal, only when cranked fully to one side and hitting a bump.
Hope this helps, Mike
Thanks for the info. What size rims are you running? Any pictrues.

Mine are the Speedlines that came on the Saleens before the Stern wheels. Same sizes, 17x8 front & 17x9 rear (actual 17x7.5 and 17x8.5).

Tire sizes are 235-40-17 & 255-40-17.

DSC00019.JPG

Saleen Mike said:
Mine are the Speedlines that came on the Saleens before the Stern wheels. Same sizes, 17x8 front & 17x9 rear (actual 17x7.5 and 17x8.5).

Tire sizes are 235-40-17 & 255-40-17.

DSC00019.JPG
Your saleen looks great with speedline
wheels. What kind of tires are they dunlops, nittos? Can't tell.
BTW, would you know anything about
stren wheels company like history of them
anything? Thanks

I can offer a little insight of the STERN wheel manufacturer. They are a small division of a Japanese company called HINODEX.....they were the "High Quality Division" I have tried 1000 times to get ahold of the company, but their www.hinodex.co.jp never works and the 1-piece and 3-piece wheels are no longer made. That's pretty much all I know about the company. HINODEX is still in business, but the STERN department has taken a turn from performance wheels to more "bling bling" style wheels. You can check out their site at www.sternwheels.com

saleencobra420 said:
Your saleen looks great with speedline
wheels. What kind of tires are they dunlops, nittos?

They are Yoko ES-100s, IMHO the best of the "cheap" tires, and are really worth about 50%-100% more of the purchase price compared to what other tires are out there.

I have them on the '85, and on my daily driver '89 Saleen as well. If they came in a 295-35-18 size I would have them on all 3 Saleens.

You will be unhappy to know I found out more information on STERN (the company. Parent company HINODEX (and smaller division: STERN) have gone bankrupt and are no longer in business. I found this out when I E-mailed a friend of mine in Japan. You see, I have a set of 3-piece STERNS that I am trying to refurbish (for sale in classifieds) and I was trying to find new through-bolt nuts (just the nut) for my 3-piece wheels. I took one wheel apart and went to every hardware store within 10 miles of my house. Noone had the thread pattern I needed for new bolts (the ones on the wheels now are rusty) ...so I thought I'd find out if they are a special automotive thread. No, I haven't heard of anything like that either, but how could I know unless I asked. The major auto parts store in Japan is called Super AutoBacs. I had a friend go there and try to get me OEM replacements from the company. The following is a cut and paste of exactly what he wrote me.....

".......Dude, they had the most recent catalog of wheels right in front of me, and they called the distributor. The distributor in turn called the comapny itself to try and get the parts you wanted......and the clerk came back in the best English he could and said the company was bankrupt and lo longer in business. I don't know what else to tell you....."

So, if you are one of the lucky people to have a set of 1-piece or 3-piece wheels. Hold onto them, they are only going to get more and more rare, and more and more sought after. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Great info, very happy to have set of them. Do you know if they ever had chrome stren wheels or seen some around before? Just asking because I'm thinking of getting mine chromed! What do you think?
your opinions are appreciated
Thanks.

saleencobra420 said:
Great info, very happy to have set of them. Do you know if they ever had chrome stren wheels or seen some around before? Just asking because I'm thinking of getting mine chromed! What do you think?
your opinions are appreciated
Thanks.

I have never seen any Sterns chromed. I wouldn’t do it. Since that models is no longer being made, I would keep them “original”.

I had 1-piece STERN wheels on my 1988 SALEEN #420. The car was black and the chrome looked really good.....until it chipped one day and the wheel oxidized up over the lip...the chrome kept chipping and then the wheel didn't hold air anymore. I ended up having the chrome removed and powdercoating the wheels black...like a flat black. They looked really good. Then I sold the car, it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

Regret not keeping the wheels though.

I do have another set of STERN 1-piece wheels I am refurbishing to. You will probably not believe me but I bought them for 10 dollars. True. It's been a hassle so far but I am trying to sandblast the wheels down to metal again. I just ordered a polishing kit that attaches to a drill with a few different grades of polishing compounds....I am going to paint the interior of the wheels black and polish the lips to a mirror finish...then clearcoat over the polished lip. They should look pretty awesome by the time I am done...either black or gunmetal. I wanted to do the same with my 3-piece...take them down to metal and poaintthe centers black. I don't know why but I love the look of black wheels...especially on red cars.