Sanity check, value on an 87 T-Top car?

Nickerz

Sep 12, 2003
  1. 1987 that supposedly had 90K on it before a restoration that has 10k on it.
  2. "Hard to get into reverse, probably synchro issues"
  3. Mostly stock except for possible aftermarket diff, intake & clutch.
  4. Speedo cable broken
It's been soooo long guys since I've looked at this stuff and KBB is useless for this sort of thing. I sort of trust the guy's story, which is that they have a lot of cars and his dad recently died. He seems like a younger guy that doesn't really know that much about the car, just that he was basically a bystander to his dad's car collection.

That being said, the speedo cable is a red flag, so I look at this sort of a "what is the value of a high mile restoration of this quality" type thing. Also, not sure if the "hard into reverse" thing is a tell that it needs a new transmission. I would budget for a T56 swap up front then.

Emotionally speaking, I can easily overpay for this car, so I'm looking for an unbiased assessment from you guys before I make an offer or buy a car for more than I should ;)

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Fox2.jpg
    Fox2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Fox3.jpg
    Fox3.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 149
  • Fox1.jpg
    Fox1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Sponsors (?)

Looks like a super clean car man. and unfortunately, or fortunately, what ever side of the fence your on, these cars are going up in price. They are going to be hard to find in a few years, most of them are all hacked up, have chevy engines in them, or and rusted out.

Location of the car? They tend to fetch more in the rust belts if they are clearn and rust free. In the south, or CA, they tend to be cheaper.

I'd go $10K and adjust accordningly.

BTW, hard into reverse can be a clutch cable adjustment issue as well

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys, that sounds about right. My gut was saying this is an 8K midwest car, $6K highside TX car as mentioned. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't over invested.

back in February I bought an 88 T Top. ( title says 88 ) from Lumberton NC... it was a roller car... but i paid 1100 dollars for it rust free. looks just like it. mine is missing the driver door molding and of course the hood flew up on the guy i bought it from so i have to fix that bent up junk.... yayyyy.