School me on aftermarket Fuel Pressure Regulators, Please!

FiveOhhStang

Jan 27, 2003
Sanger, Cali.
How do they effect our cars? Would they help(performance wise/gas milage wise) on a stock motor/Mustang?? Any pics on where they hook up to? I love reading topics and posting, but this is something i havnt seen in a loooong time(did in the past but forgot after a year to two)
-Nick

• Sponsors (?)

Probably not, if you have bigger heads/intake then it will add more power. And like S/CBlack95GT said it's mostly used to tune A/F ratios. Very useful for mild to higher powered engines.

For a stock engine the stock regulator is perfectly fine.

S/CBlack95GT said:
BBK says 5-10hp because they are idiots.

If I recall, they got that number from a MM&FF test on a fairly stock motor. They leaned it out enough to make you worry about blowing it up if it was yours.

Unless you have alot of mods AND you are on a dyno with a wideband, your only asking for trouble.

I put one on mine. With the stock regulator it was running 40psi according to the Autometer Fuel Pressure gauge. I put the regulator on with the pump and injectors but set it to stock 40psi fuel pressure. I got to playing with it and picked up some power by dropping it to 37lbs. Any lower the car runs crappy, any higher it seems to not run well. I'm going to get a wideband o2 and put another bung in my exaust and hook it to the air fuel gauge and see what I can do. In other words, the AFPR is a tuning device.

Stock regulator is at I believe 39psi no vacuum, which is fine for a stock motor. If you have a heavily moded car, i.e. supercharger,heads/cam,n2o - then adjustable fuel pressure regulator will play a big role in properly tuning your car.

From the posts I have read here, Kirbans :nice:

Aeromotive :notnice: The Aeromotive units seem to have leakage problems. They even cost more than the Kirbans. I guess that the leaks are an added feature that you get to pay more for.

Again, it's a tuning device when you have some mods that require an extra touch.