Screeching sound from under the hood at 2k rpm in 2nd and 3rd

Chiper91

Sep 23, 2018
Miami, FL
98 GT, 120k miles

Recently I started hearing a screeching sound while accelerating and under steady throttle around 2k rpm in 2nd and 3rd gears.
It does not do that when idling or on start up. I think it could be the drive belt or the pulleys
Occasionally I would hear a squeaking sound (like the drive belt) at idle when the is parked. Have not looked that much into it but will most likely start with looking at the belt and testing the pulleys with the belt off. If it were the belt or the pulleys would it also screech at idle or not?

I just hope it is not the timing chain I've been diligent with the oil changes and I've never pushed it too hard.

Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

Can you get it to screech when you mash the gas in park?

Have you looked at belt condition? How does it look? How old is it? Do you have any kind of 'chirping' in the engine bay at idle?

Have you tried applying pressure to the clutch pedal at time when you hear this screeching?

I have not had the opportunity to give it throttle when parked. Will try it out tomorrow.

The belt is at least three years old (18k miles), I have not looked at it, will do later this week.
When parked, I heard a squeaking sound a couple of times. Otherwise it is smooth while idling.

No, I have no touched the clutch while it was screeching. If it stops or changes while the clutch pedal is pressed, what would that mean?