Sct X4 Power Flash Programmer

Max22

Jul 1, 2015
What thoughts do you guys have on the SCT x4? I just bought one and wondered if anyone has any real time experience with one. I didn't get any fancy BAMA tunes just the stock programmer, as I didn't feel it was worth the extra $100. Currently I'm running in a manual 4.6L 96 GT with a K&N cold air intake, Bassani Catback Xhaust, and a 75mm Trick Flow throttle body and plenum. Not sure if this programmer will get me much gains or not. Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

:scratch:What a tune will do for a bolt car is get the car to run much, much smoother.

The stock tune with bolt-on parts will still do o.k. (The car has a tendency to fall on its proverbial face with bolt-ons and no tune. The first thing that I had noticed is the Race tune is so much easier to drive then the Performance tune. The r.p.m's dropped to fast and was pressed to catch Revs with the clutch (Manual of course.)

Not sure the purpose of the Performance tune; was laborious to drive; in my opinion. The Race tune, hung the revs long enough for me to determine what number I could shift at. Have not tried the Street tune, yet.

In all my adulthood in the world of technology, I realize messing with computers is a crap shoot, I've only changed the tune of my car from Stock tune to the Performance tune to the Race tune. (Don't want the device to have interference while changing the tune, then I am really screwed.)

They should have named the tunes according to what the driver has to do instead of the cars performance. (Or maybe they did, hmmmmm:scratch:. Oh the gas usage was a little more admirable, I was not expecting to break in the 11's with only a tune and mods but I am actually happy the mod.

My engine mods are Ebay Ram cold air intake (not pretty as the high end ones does the same.)

Ported throttle-body/with spacers on both intakes.....Performance Products Lower intake......Granetelli Shark upper intake...New Coil on plugs. All stock exhaust.

I was unaware that a stock tune doesn't take to mods very well, interesting. So the SCT tuner does come with 3 presets stock, or is that a BAMA exclusive? Also what octane do you usually run with?

BAMA has been trying to get my tune right for 2 months now. I have the SCT X4 tuner and it's great. But I have zero confidence in BAMA at this point. Seriously looking for someone else to tune my car. BAMA cannot get the shifts worked out, especially the 3-4 shift. Consistently getting a P0783 code. My mods are CAI, 70mm TB/plenum, underdrive pulleys, 4.10 gears.

Wow that's one of the first bad reviews I've heard about BAMA. But that's mainly because American Muscle doesn't publish negative reviews from what I've seen.

Wow that's one of the first bad reviews I've heard about BAMA. But that's mainly because American Muscle doesn't publish negative reviews from what I've seen.

Yeah I've gone through 4-5 revisions of the street and performance tunes and it still isn't right. I finally had to take it back to stock just so I wouldn't cringe with every shift.

You should have saved you money, you will see ZERO gains. The stock ECU is pretty good at learning new mods (ie. differences in air/exhaust flow) and adjusting curves as necessary.

That being said, BAMA is the epitome of garbage. Their tunes suck.

You should have saved you money, you will see ZERO gains. The stock ECU is pretty good at learning new mods (ie. differences in air/exhaust flow) and adjusting curves as necessary.

That being said, BAMA is the epitome of garbage. Their tunes suck.

I must say I disagree about the stock ecu, but BAMA does appear just to be well advertised and a crappy product.

Ive read nothing good as of late regarding BAMA. I, myself, sent them an email last week and have not received a reply yet.

Ive used MPT for tuning my old Crown Vic and have good luck with them. I might try them again.

Damn... How many tuners you got to buy before you just have it dyno tuned? The thing with mail order tunes is that those guy are looking at numbers on a screen. They say, "Try this" and relying only on a data-log and maybe customer description.

It seems like closer your car is to an 04, the pickier it gets with changes in TB size. Folks that are having this problem: swap your stock TB back in and give it a shot. Post back if you would. Seems like these threads crop up more often but are never completed.

Damn... How many tuners you got to buy before you just have it dyno tuned? The thing with mail order tunes is that those guy are looking at numbers on a screen. They say, "Try this" and relying only on a data-log and maybe customer description.

It seems like closer your car is to an 04, the pickier it gets with changes in TB size. Folks that are having this problem: swap your stock TB back in and give it a shot. Post back if you would. Seems like these threads crop up more often but are never completed.
Well the thing is the only good dyno tune in my area costs close to $600 and to get it retuned when I get more mods it'll be? You guessed it another 4 or 5 hundred dollars. I don't have that kind of money and I'd like my current mods to be used to the full potential.

I've never been to a dyno tuner that couldn't make email adjustments. Do you have an AFR meter? I'm definitely not sticking up for any mail order tuners but are you certain that you don't have another issue?

I don't have an AFR meter no. But I don't have any problems I just feel like my stock tune isn't using all my mods to the full potential you follow?

Reactions: 1 user