Seafoam: Why Didnt My Car Smoke Much At All???

from6to8

There's suction so I used that end O_O
15 Year Member
Sep 2, 2012
Put seafoam in the car bout an hour ago. Put 1/3 cup in the gas tank, 1/3 in the crankcase, and the remaining via the brake booster line. After 10 mins I started the car, it didnt wana start so I had to give it some gas and got it started, revved it up good for few mins then took on a 10 mile ride. The whole time the car really didnt smoke at all. I was expecting clouds and clouds of smoke and really just saw a little bit initially after getting car started and revving for bout a minute, went back and looked in the rear and saw a little smoke. It actually looked like the car was warming up but I had already had the engine warm.

Thoughts on the not so much smoke guys........

Also, i have the car up on the ramps now and if I don't actually get to fill it back up with oil today after I drain it, shouldn't it be fine? I have to take the T fitting for the oil sender off and fix that leak and might not get it fixed today so just wondering if it will be fine even if it sits a few days; just so long as the old oil/seafoam is drained?

Also, i have the car up on the ramps now and if I don't actually get to fill it back up with oil today after I drain it, shouldn't it be fine? I have to take the T fitting for the oil sender off and fix that leak and might not get it fixed today so just wondering if it will be fine even if it sits a few days; just so long as the old oil/seafoam is drained?

• Sponsors (?)

Clean intake I guess.

Kurt
thats what some others have said too. I'm going to call seafoam manu tommorow to see how long I need to drive it with it in system before changing oil. Some have said at least 100 miles , some has said they went maybe 1000

Did you dump it directly down the intake? Did that to mine and you would swear the head gasket blew.
sucked it in via vacuum. Called manufacturer today and they assured me what i did was correct and that my system was probably just not dirty at all or not very bad

why did you use the brake booster line? i would have used the vent tube from the oil filler neck. thats what i did for my probe and it worked good.
not a very strong suction there, alot will just sit in the air intake tube and do nothing. seafoam makes a product for that application to use right at the intake that comes with a little red straw. i have done it both ways and besides cleaning the butterfly plate in the throttle well using the old unpressurized can of seafoam thru the brake booster and letting it slowly be pulled through always gave better results in all of my vehicles.

Usually i just dump the whole bottle in the tank, but when I do want a good cleaning I pour a third in the tank, third in the brake booster line, and turn my air intake up and slowly pour while running. Didn't know it could be added to oil honestly.

why did you use the brake booster line? i would have used the vent tube from the oil filler neck. thats what i did for my probe and it worked good.
yeah basically what jcgaff said. I had read that there wasn't a good suction there. At first i was wondering which end of hose to take off. Either the one at the actual brake booster or the one at the vacuum tree. I took off at tree and there was no suction. Took off at booster and there was a suction so used that end

*gives guided tour of facilities*

We're walking, we're walking, and here... is a portion of the technical forum for SN95 cars...

yeah basically what jcgaff said. I had read that there wasn't a good suction there. At first i was wondering which end of hose to take off. Either the one at the actual brake booster or the one at the vacuum tree. I took off at tree and there was no suction. Took off at booster and there was a suction so used that end

:doh:

... and we're walking... walking....
:leaving:

Reactions: 1 users
idk maybe the probe had more suction at the throttle body because of it having a vaf (volumetric airflow meter) instead of a maf. the vaf was a pretty big restriction before the tb so it would be easier to suck through the open vaccum hose. ////// did i spell vaccum and volumetric wrong? the spell check says i did but they dont have any options for fixing it.

dude my 1992 lx didnt smoke at all either and i used a whole can in the throttle body... i made sure none leaked down the cold air intake,,,, i was choked LOL every single video i watched peoples cars smoked like a basturd and here i figured my 27 year old car was gonna smoke like a pig..
Maybe my cars alot cleaner then i thought LOL

Or unfortunately with poor compression it might have just all washed down the cylinder wall into the oil-pan. Change your oil if you've poured a whole can of anything down the throttle body and it didn't come out the tailpipe. Sorry to be a downer.

My oil was normal alittle blackend but nothing out of the ordinary... and my car has great compression has 160-165 between all cylinders according to my test after the seafoam.. trust me i went thru the check list after my car didnt smoke after the seafoam

cause i do it once every summer... just to clean stuff out.. plus i noticed my intake and throttle body was alil dirty figured just give it a cleaning with the seafoam.. i honestly think the reason my car didnt smoke was because over the winter i rebuilt the motor..

Were you using the spray or the liquid? As you mention going through the throttle-body and cleaning it, not sure how you'd do that with the liquid. The spray isn't going to smoke the same way as a bottle of liquid sucked in through a vacuum line which is what most of the YT videos showing crazy smoke are doing. You may be talking about a different product than the rest of the folks in this thread.