Seattle area gear install?

94gsl5.0

Sep 7, 2004
seatown
Does anybody know of a good place for rear end gear installs in the Seattle/Tacoma area? I usually do all the work on my car myself but gears is something i don't want to mess with. Any help with this would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks, i like Brads, had them install subframes however the quote they gave me awhile back for gears seemed a bit pricy. I may go that route anyway but anybody else have a shop they like to use?

just called Randy's and they are a bit cheaper than Brads. Brads includes the speedo recalibration but i can do that myself (12 or so bucks from any mailorder Co. right?) All Ford, in Vancouver you say? I'll look into it... i don't mind driving a little outa my way if i can save a chunk of change.

Total Performance on South Tacoma Way has done two sets for me. I can't say they're cheap though. Labor is expensive in this area. If you believe what other's have written, you can get it done in Florida for 60% of our cost.

94gsl5.0 said:
Does anybody know of a good place for rear end gear installs in the Seattle/Tacoma area? I usually do all the work on my car myself but gears is something i don't want to mess with. Any help with this would be appreciated.

I've always felt the same way, but as prices rise even further, I am about ready to learn to do this myself. With some kits you get a video tutorial. If you are using Ford Gears, you should be able to use the original shims and spacing.

Tyler, I was quoted about that price by both Brads and Randys with Randys being a bit less not by much though. Anywhere i ask including Ford dealers the cost is generally $700 or more. With the dealers being the most.

Stock50LX, i have found that on other forums when i ask around they say we here in the Seattle area are getting ripped off when it comes to prices on labor... why is that? Anybody?

How would i get in touch with Turbo Tech or Blood, IM? Sorry i am kinda new too the whole forum thing as well as my 5.0.

Thanks for the help, i am going to go home (at work now) and won't be able to access the site until tomorrow. Again, your replies have been appreciated. I haven't visted the regional part of this forum that much but i am sure too now :D

Brad's was definitely more expensive than I've had them done before, but watching them do the work -- they are precise in every detail. Nothing overlooked -- everything checked and reset until it was perfect. They did an A+ job in my book.

there is a guy who lives near portland that does em for dirt cheap. he does them for a living. if u do a search on here in the NW forums for gears. try to find an old post of mine about 4.30 or 4.10 gears and you will find his name.

94gsl5.0 said:
Tyler, I was quoted about that price by both Brads and Randys with Randys being a bit less not by much though. Anywhere i ask including Ford dealers the cost is generally $700 or more. With the dealers being the most.

Stock50LX, i have found that on other forums when i ask around they say we here in the Seattle area are getting ripped off when it comes to prices on labor... why is that? Anybody?

How would i get in touch with Turbo Tech or Blood, IM? Sorry i am kinda new too the whole forum thing as well as my 5.0.

It's part of our economy. You can get a pretty high paying job at the Lazy B and other places, so that forces all labor rates higher. That's Ricardo's iron law of wages. I took my first install to a do-it-at-home type and it was a disaster.

I'm leaning twords Randys or Brads now. I thought it over and asked around and i want as top notch a job done as possible and it seems those two are the ones to use. Looks like i am gonna have to get the lube ready and bend over:( Thanks for your help.

94gsl5.0 said:
Cost of living is just higher in our area. With Boeing and Microsoft being big employers it drives every thing up. We have some of the highest cost of living in the nation.
Because of this it cost more to operate a shop. The over head to operating a shop is high. This results in the cost going up on labor etc. Some one who works out of their house has less over head than some one who- rent for a shop, insurance, WA state taxes to pay, labor, water & power, garbage, health insurance.