Seen this lately?

The certification process is the quickest easiest exam you have ever studied for
Every answer has to do with letting the freon vent to atmosphere
The answer is no not ever never
All 20 questions are like that. Just remember NO

Spot on. That's pretty much how I remember it as well. Don't vent anything. Reclaim.

Unless you buy this :poo:. Then you can just spray away

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Yes. I actually took the test and got the EPA609 licence from Mainstream Engineering. Test wasn't hard, but i've always been the type to be able to read something and test against the material well.

Lately though, when i scoop up a can or two at a decent price off Ebay, nobody asks to see it, and I don't offer. I believe EPA 609 only restricts the sale of small cans under 20 pounds to techs with a license. A 30 pound cylinder can be bought by anyone if you want to take out a 2nd mortgage on your house.

An yeah, 608 and 609 prevent the venting of ANY refrigerant other than CO2 based refrigerants.
When the switchover hit, I took the test, and Dad bought a 30 lb canister before it was a big purchase. We ran out of R-12 using vehicles before R-12. And I did not try to renew. Thanks for the update.

When the switchover hit, I took the test, and Dad bought a 30 lb canister before it was a big purchase. We ran out of R-12 using vehicles before R-12. And I did not try to renew. Thanks for the update.

Honestly, most of the folks selling the stuff have no idea a license is needed. In my experience it’s people clearing out the basement/garage of an older relative and coming across old stuff and just wanting it gone since it’s of no use to them. Obviously if you work in a commercial setting and need a larger supply, this method might not be sufficient.

That’s how I came across my 15lb cylinder. Coworker was moving and found it buried in their basement and just wanted it gone. I bought one can at a local garage sale this way as well.

I don’t really know anyone still running R12 other than myself. Most folks with older cars that I personally know just converted to 134a and perform quite well for the region.

Even that might be something you folks want to stockpile now. WA state just banned the sale of small 134a cans and momemtum is building for an outright ban of all of it.

I did shop my 15lb cylinder here. They called me up almost immediately.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 user