Sell my Vortech and get a KB or not? HELP!

Just like the title says. I cant decide weather I should sell my vortech and buy a KB or not.

I guess some of the things that are stopping me is 1 the KB kit is 5 grand, which I currently have but its still 5 grand. 2 I have been planning my future build around my vortech and have even bought a rotating assembly with 9.5:1compression ratio pistons that would have to be sold and replaced adding more money to a already expensive hobby.

Now I know I can sell my vortech on ebay to ease that 5 grand drop but I am not sure how much I can make off it. I would end up selling it with everything short of a tune and fuel pump. One big benifit to the particular head unit is that it comes with a 50 state legal tag on it which you cant get unless you buy a complete kit from vortech. How much do you guys think I can get for it? I havent seen one on ebay for 99-04 gts in a long time so I am not sure what I should ask for it if I decide to part ways with it.

Please dont just give me a one liner and say "Get the KB", tell me why or why not.

Also Tork Tech in not a consideration because they dont have a kit that is 50 state legal which is important to me because I live in natzifornia.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

The Kenne Bell is a great kit. Positive Displacement kits are always going to be more expensive than Centrifugal simply based on the fact that they involve a heavier built more complex aftercooling system and provide a replacement all aluminum lower intake manifold. For me, the thought of never having to worry about a crack coolant passage on an intake again is almost reason enough to get one over a Centrifugal.

Positive Displacement blowers make the most usable power over any other on the market and are ideal for a street car that might see the odd trip to the track. You really get what you pay for.

For me, the Kenne Bell is a distant second to the Tork Tech, but then so are all other available 2V blower kits IMO. And since Californistan has made going with the Tork Tech a non option, the Kenne Bell is the only other natural choice.

Well engineered, well designed, low maintenance and big fun. What more could you ask for. :nice:

I love my KB's. It's hard to beat positive displacement on a street car. If I were to build a race car, my GT may have have a BIG centri or pair of snails sitting under the hood instead.

anyways, if you decide to go KB, first try to find a used 2.2L if you can. Every once in a while you can find someone selling those. You can strap a 4" pulley, run only 8 PSI and make over 400rwhp safely.

How did you pull that off? I didn't think the Tork Tech kit was CARB legal? From what I understand, if you don't have a CARB # to provide come safety/smog testing time, you don't pass? :shrug:
According the Magnuson the TVS itself is 50 state, its used on the ZR1. Everything else like the lower/TB/h/e is all hidden or black in color. Looks pretty legit - I'm certain I wont have any problems come smog time. I've gotten by with more obvious things than the rest of the kit outside the blower.

They have to get it certified as 50 state on every different kind of car. If you go to the CARB site you will be able to take the number off the blower and see if it is legal on a Mustang, in California. If that number doesn't cover mustangs you are screwed.

Darkside, if I were you I would go with the s-trim and get a forged bottom end and some ported heads and cams. If you get the KB you will just be at the same powerlevel you are at now. Yes it has more low end which is the **** for the street, but a s-trim will run with one if you are racing. When your at 5 grand it doesn't matter how much torque you have at 2 grand. Also you get better milage on the freeway with a centri cause you aren't boosting.

Keep what you have and finish building it.

Also you get better milage on the freeway with a centri cause you aren't boosting.
I hate to tell you, but that’s incorrect. You'll get the same mileage with the Kenne Bell as you would with the Centrifugal, or you would stock. You're not "boosting" on the freeway with the Kenne Bell (or any modern Positive Displacement supercharger for that matter) because you've got a bypass valve thats set to stay open under vacuum that only closes to pressurize the intake when you put your foot into it. The blower is free wheeling under vacuum and takes only about 1/3 of 1hp to spin.

You could put that 5 grand towords the vortech build up and have a beast or you can buy a KB and be back where you started, with more low end. Its been said alot.. Buy what you want the first time so things like this dont happen! ;p

Save yourself some time and finish your build and up the boost :)

I understand what you two (dizzy and bluebullitt) are saying but honestly one of the things steering me towards buying a KB is all the fabbing I would have to do with the vortech to add a FMIC plus even with something like a 2.9in pulley the boost still wouldnt come on till 2500rpms or so. If I bought a KB everything is already enginered for me so to speak and the boost is almost instant.

I am deffinetly going to have to think long and hard about this one.

I did not know that. I didn't think they could fit a bypass valve in there. :nice: You learn something new everyday.
Yup, it's a wonderful thing; here's mine.
Picture11176-1.jpg

On a 03 cobra it's on the underside - a semi circle butterfly valve.

I hate to tell you, but that’s incorrect. You'll get the same mileage with the Kenne Bell as you would with the Centrifugal, or you would stock. You're not "boosting" on the freeway with the Kenne Bell (or any modern Positive Displacement supercharger for that matter) because you've got a bypass valve thats set to stay open under vacuum that only closes to pressurize the intake when you put your foot into it. The blower is free wheeling under vacuum and takes only about 1/3 of 1hp to spin.

yep. I drove my KB Cobra 1600 miles round trip to Indianapolis and back to GA averaging 23-24mpg while on the highway.

i got 23.2ish mpg out of mine too :D There are tons of people who fab intercoolers up for people. Its not that big of a deal to call it quites on vortech. But do what you want! If you fell in love with the K/B already then why not switch? Besides the massive amount of money ;p, read around. dont listen to the K/B vs Centri threads. If you can find someone close to you with a K/B and mods around the same as yours id go for a ride, see how it is.

Like i said, you already had an idea of what you wanted. Maybe go back through and do the math of how far you could get with the vortech vs where the K/B is going to put you. I like both S/C's but cant imagine throwing away so much money on somthing that could be great.